Figured I'd pass some of these along.
AguaceroWx -- EXTREMELY powerful website. Subscription-based, but the free tier has plenty of data to look at. Every aspect can be customized, and there are plenty of parameters to view for model, surface, radar, and satellite data.
RadarScope -- this shouldn't need an explanation. Spend the $10 for the base app, and you'll already be set.
WeatherFront -- take the two mentioned above and put them together. A subscription is required for complete access, but it's still powerful as a free app. No ads, either.
Weathernerds -- static maps, but you can choose the area of interest. Models, radar, satellite, and hurricane data.
Tropical Tidbits -- excellent model maps. Well known for hurricane data.
SPC Mesoanalysis -- one of the few things the government hasn't wrecked yet. Great for "in-the-moment" nowcasting.
weatherTAP -- dropped my subscription to this, but their RadarLab X product is impressive. Relatively inexpensive, but there are better options (such as what I listed above).
College of DuPage NEXLAB -- excellent website with models, radar, satellite, surface, and upper-air maps/data. I have their satellite page up at all times.
If anyone has any other recommendations, feel free to drop 'em here.
All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms
Thank you!
Thank you!
Some websites/apps to know about...
-
thatonedude
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 am
Some websites/apps to know about...
take this job and shove it
-
MWmetalhead
- Posts: 5733
- Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm
Re: Some websites/apps to know about...
Weather & Radar in the Google Play store. The pop up ads are annoying with the free version, but I love the satellite / radar / temps / lightning tracker composite!
The visible satellite map is the bee's knees.
Bonus: it is fully compatible with Android Auto! No ads, either, on that version.
I'll vouch for RadarScope. That app is a must have!
I'll have to check out some on your list this weekend.
Pivotalweather.com is a desktop site that I like.
The visible satellite map is the bee's knees.
Bonus: it is fully compatible with Android Auto! No ads, either, on that version.
I'll vouch for RadarScope. That app is a must have!
I'll have to check out some on your list this weekend.
Pivotalweather.com is a desktop site that I like.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.
Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
-
thatonedude
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 am
Re: Some websites/apps to know about...
I forgot about Pivotal. Highly recommended.
WeatherFront is pretty decent. Trying out their "Advanced" subscription, and it's great. I'd suggest that, but not everyone can spare $10/mo for it.
By the way, RadarScope may have Android Auto compatibility soon. They just released an update for iOS that works with CarPlay. Quite jealous of those who run it on an iPhone...
WeatherFront is pretty decent. Trying out their "Advanced" subscription, and it's great. I'd suggest that, but not everyone can spare $10/mo for it.
By the way, RadarScope may have Android Auto compatibility soon. They just released an update for iOS that works with CarPlay. Quite jealous of those who run it on an iPhone...
take this job and shove it
Re: Some websites/apps to know about...
After the Weather Underground's best free radar ever went defunct some years ago now, this has become my favorite radar as of late. Really easy to use, easy to zoom in on, nearly realtime data, and you can set it to as long as a full 24 hour loop.thatonedude wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:09 pm College of DuPage NEXLAB -- excellent website with models, radar, satellite, surface, and upper-air maps/data. I have their satellite page up at all times.
For anybody here reading this, direct links to the 3 lower Michigan sites:
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
-
thatonedude
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 am
Re: Some websites/apps to know about...
Give this a shot Beemer: https://supercellwx.net/bmw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 12:02 pmAfter the Weather Underground's best free radar ever went defunct some years ago now, this has become my favorite radar as of late. Really easy to use, easy to zoom in on, nearly realtime data, and you can set it to as long as a full 24 hour loop.thatonedude wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:09 pm College of DuPage NEXLAB -- excellent website with models, radar, satellite, surface, and upper-air maps/data. I have their satellite page up at all times.
For anybody here reading this, direct links to the 3 lower Michigan sites:
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
You'll need to get an API key for maps (I recommend MapTiler), but it's easy enough to set up. You can add additional data (called placefiles) that show temps, fronts, etc. as well.
take this job and shove it
Re: Some websites/apps to know about...
I have this. Incredible app! Make sure you have the weather warning polygons enabled, they pop up in near real time and you get the most advance warning on tornado warnings for example. They even pop up and disappear in sync with the radar frames. Also like the ability to see the radar tilts and everything the TV meteorologists use- correlation coefficient, velocity, reflectivity, Vertically integrated liquid, and more. Probably the best free app out there, not available on mobile however.thatonedude wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:33 pmGive this a shot Beemer: https://supercellwx.net/bmw wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 12:02 pmAfter the Weather Underground's best free radar ever went defunct some years ago now, this has become my favorite radar as of late. Really easy to use, easy to zoom in on, nearly realtime data, and you can set it to as long as a full 24 hour loop.thatonedude wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:09 pm College of DuPage NEXLAB -- excellent website with models, radar, satellite, surface, and upper-air maps/data. I have their satellite page up at all times.
For anybody here reading this, direct links to the 3 lower Michigan sites:
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/? ... 00-usa-rad
You'll need to get an API key for maps (I recommend MapTiler), but it's easy enough to set up. You can add additional data (called placefiles) that show temps, fronts, etc. as well.
Re: Some websites/apps to know about...
Until a software update a few months ago, I would have reccomended NBC25 / Mid Michigan Now's app just for the weather. It had the longest futurecast and past radars (separately available) but my big thing was they had global live lightning map and international weather alerts.
BUT (see later edit) my big anti toward the app, after an update, the bottom banner is hidden beneath the home/ back/ apps buttons on my android ( samsung) devices and renders the app useless. Several apps also do this so it might be a setting issue on the phone and not the app. I read online it is an issue of forced display scaling (it force scales to the size of the phone screen and disregards what actually is usable area).
EDIT: I was able to get the app usable by turning my bottom navigation bar style to swipe gestures, similar to most new apple phones. Now the bottom control panel within the app radar is usable and another app is also fixed that I was having issues with. Going to have to get used to the lack of visible buttons but it works good for me. Useful tip if any of you install this app and have a similar issue.
BUT (see later edit) my big anti toward the app, after an update, the bottom banner is hidden beneath the home/ back/ apps buttons on my android ( samsung) devices and renders the app useless. Several apps also do this so it might be a setting issue on the phone and not the app. I read online it is an issue of forced display scaling (it force scales to the size of the phone screen and disregards what actually is usable area).
EDIT: I was able to get the app usable by turning my bottom navigation bar style to swipe gestures, similar to most new apple phones. Now the bottom control panel within the app radar is usable and another app is also fixed that I was having issues with. Going to have to get used to the lack of visible buttons but it works good for me. Useful tip if any of you install this app and have a similar issue.