All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

WQUS

Discussion pertaining to Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Midland, Mt. Pleasant, and Michigan's thumb region.
hb2
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 3:52 pm

Re: WQUS

Post by hb2 »

MegaHertz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 03, 2026 5:25 am
hb2 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 02, 2026 10:33 pm
MegaHertz wrote: ↑Tue Jun 02, 2026 5:48 pm I was out by the former Palace today and thought I'd be in range. Nope. Fucking relevant radio.

Whatever. I tried.
I know. That translator really screws with my DXing especially since its only a few miles away. But a few weeks ago there was a power outage and Relevant radio's 103.1 was off air and I believe I could faintly get WQUS in Rochester Hills, unless it was something else. I was up that way yesterday (not in a great signal area for 103.1 but could maybe get the WCRZ 107.9 HD2 simulcast) and forgot to check it out.
I had no idea there was one right there. I'm over how jammed the dial is this these translators and repeaters.
https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... service=FX

It is W276DB, located by the intersection of Ryan and Hamlin rds in Shelby Twp. It is very much a cookie cutter translator (see coverage map) as it protects WQUS, and also Canada as well. The strongest signal is sent NE toward Richmond, and secondly SW toward Troy/Birmingham.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5724
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WQUS

Post by MWmetalhead »

MegaHertz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 03, 2026 6:36 am Well I'll be damned.

I have to say that the audio on 103.1 sounds more alive than 97.1, but they probably still have the music settings and could still be in stereo. 97.1 has been flat and in mono for years.

I'm noticing a few promos and spots for the local area.

I also thought they were dropping 97-1 from on air?
97.1 WXYT-FM broadcasts in FM stereo. If you're not picking up a stereo signal, your reception is on the weak side or your receiver is set to monaural mode. The "ST" indicator is lit as we speak.

They've dropped "The Ticket" from all on-air mentions by live talent. "97-1" is how they ID during live shows now.

Reason being - a crappy little station in Grand Rapids with about five listeners whose call sign is WJRW holds the trademark for "The Ticket" brand.

Since WXYT-FM's programming now airs in Grand Rapids via 98.7 WFGR, they cannot utter "The Ticket" during programming carried by WFGR.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
MegaHertz
Posts: 2141
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2024 5:31 pm

Re: WQUS

Post by MegaHertz »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Wed Jun 03, 2026 7:44 pm
MegaHertz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 03, 2026 6:36 am Well I'll be damned.

I have to say that the audio on 103.1 sounds more alive than 97.1, but they probably still have the music settings and could still be in stereo. 97.1 has been flat and in mono for years.

I'm noticing a few promos and spots for the local area.

I also thought they were dropping 97-1 from on air?
97.1 WXYT-FM broadcasts in FM stereo. If you're not picking up a stereo signal, your reception is on the weak side or your receiver is set to monaural mode. The "ST" indicator is lit as we speak.

They've dropped "The Ticket" from all on-air mentions by live talent. "97-1" is how they ID during live shows now.

Reason being - a crappy little station in Grand Rapids with about five listeners whose call sign is WJRW holds the trademark for "The Ticket" brand.

Since WXYT-FM's programming now airs in Grand Rapids via 98.7 WFGR, they cannot utter "The Ticket" during programming carried by WFGR.
I wasn't paying attention. The audio was so much more mono and dead I assumed they turned off the stereo pilot. They haven't really needed a stereo signal in almost 20 years. But like I said, that could just be 103.1 still having music settings.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw said "Trump says the opposite, I will be inclined to believe Trump". Doesn't matter what the subject is.
radio_sparty
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: WQUS

Post by radio_sparty »

Stations can turn on the 19khz stereo pilot but still be broadcasting in mono. When the L-R is zero, all you get is the L+R. A lit stereo beacon doesn't necessarily mean it's stereo.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5724
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WQUS

Post by MWmetalhead »

The vast majority of the time, audio content on 97.1 has stereo separation. It is noticeable when listening.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
hb2
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 3:52 pm

Re: WQUS

Post by hb2 »

I was up in the region today, but the WQUS simulcast on WCRZ HD2 is no longer happening. I checked out 103.1 and got a few blips of the sports but was on I-75 north of Flint and was on the outer fringes of WQUS's signal area.
ChrisWL1980
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: WQUS

Post by ChrisWL1980 »

Did WCRZ turn off the HD, or are they just HD1 only now?
hb2
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 3:52 pm

Re: WQUS

Post by hb2 »

ChrisWL1980 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 05, 2026 7:24 pm Did WCRZ turn off the HD, or are they just HD1 only now?
It is still in HD but only HD1 with no subchannels
Post Reply