All accepted new registrations through 11:00p ET on September 26 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron and SW Ontario
Marcus
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:08 pm
Location: Sarnia, Ontario

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by Marcus »

Right now both 92.7 FM and 1590 AM are done. On 1590 I'm hearing WAKR from Akron because it's night time. 1380 remains WPHM and the 1450/105.5 WHLS combo is still Rock 105-5. Some time tomorrow 1380 will also go off the air and the new version of WPHM will be on 105.5 FM + 1450 AM. In about three weeks 630 AM from Chatham will also shut down.
Marcus
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:08 pm
Location: Sarnia, Ontario

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by Marcus »

I just checked again. The new WPHM is now on both 1450 AM and 105.5 FM. At the moment they are playing music. I missed the 1380 sign off because I didn't know exactly when it was going to happen. This is the first time since late 1947 that the 1380 AM spot in Port Huron had no local signal on it. They were WTTH at first, and then WPHM for many years after that.

What do I hear on 1380 now? The Mandarin format from WKDM New York along with who knows how many other stations.
hb2
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 3:52 pm

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by hb2 »

I tuned in one last time yesterday in Macomb county to WHLX 1590 and it sounded mighty fine on AM. But jeez they must have been real antsy to shut 1590 down if it was actually shut off Easter night rather than this morning... maybe it was in worse shape than we thought so not to speculate, but maybe they pulled the plug early just so they could sleep easy :lol: also sleep on the premise of lower electric bills
darcyh
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:32 am
Location: Grand Bend Ontario Canada

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by darcyh »

WPHM signed 1380 off around 22:15 April 5 (Easter Sunday). They played a few old WPHM jingles, the Canadian National anthem, another jingle, the US anthem a final jingle and pulled the switch.
radio_sparty
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by radio_sparty »

At least they went out with something unlike CFCO. Can't believe they just pulled the plug on 630 with no tribute as reported in the other thread. The AM band in Southeast Michigan and Southwest Ontario is much quieter now.
MisterMagoo
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2026 2:53 pm

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by MisterMagoo »

There is a due amount of sadness in leaning that WTTH-1380 is now a part of broadcasting history – it’s where I got my start in radio as a student at PHJC, working for Lee Van Van Dam and filling in evenings for Al Blade. It was Lee’s wife, an instructor at the school, that recommended me and how pleased and excited I was to be given the opportunity to develop what would become a career for me. It was kind of a unique experience, i.e., Lee taped much of the morning show the day before and, as Program Director, slept in and spent the day between the radio station and his downtown record store. We carried Friday night high school football and I had the opportunity to meet and chat with Paul Harvey during one of his whistle stops at the height of his profession. I often looked back years later and realized how damn fortunate I was to have been given a chance to learn and grow in such a competitive market. RIP WTTH, sad that I didn’t get the chance to go back and see if the old studios were still intact.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5697
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

I had the opportunity to meet and chat with Paul Harvey during one of his whistle stops at the height of his profession.
Now THAT is pretty damn cool.

We could use someone like Paul Harvey on the airwaves these days.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
User avatar
MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 9630
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Warren, MI

Re: Major changes coming to Port Huron radio

Unread post by MotorCityRadioFreak »

Does anyone have a playlist from the Hills? I haven’t been in that area and can only get Cool FM with my radios here in Warren.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

NEVER EVER COMPLY WITH FASCISM!!!

"MCRF is now and will always be welcome here."-zzand. Fly high, zzand. Fly high.
Post Reply