All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

Classic Rock GRD

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Post Reply
cckadlec
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Fremont, Mich. / Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Classic Rock GRD

Unread post by cckadlec »

No, GRD didn't and isn't flipping to classic rock. Don't worry. (Well, actually I can't really predict those kinds of things, but I have to assume not).

I've always complained that GRD was too far leaning into the classic rock genre. Listening on Tuesday evening, I really started feeling that way. In a market with no active rock format (think Razor or Q106), GRD just drops the ball entirely in my opinion. Are ratings good? Seems so. Morning show? ... eh. Maybe people in Grand Rapids are just used to GRD. After all, their logo today is literally the same as it was in the 90s. It has been that long. Kudos at the very least for hanging in there.

But we already have classic rock stations. 101.7 in Muskegon, 97 LAV. Why are they playing so much damn classic rock when there is SO MUCH rock music to pick from?? I'll admit that the classic rock era bands they DO play are fine bands and fine songs. Sure, AC/DC, Van Halen, Billy Idol... they're all dated for a modern rock station, but they're still great. Ozzy's music is old, but who's gonna complain about a rock station playing Ozzy? 90s rock like Soundgarden, Korn, Bush, etc.? Yeah, still a modern enough sound for any modern rock station. I'd never say a negative word there. But 1980 was 45 YEARS ago now, as hard as it is to believe.

Perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges. Maybe Tommy Carroll just likes to play classic rock. But WIIL and Razor playing Full Metal Jackie, Razor's Midnight Moshpit playing Lorna Shore, The Amity Affliction, Revocation, Gojira and the like (and if you don't know any of them, you have GRD and other stations to thank for it)... while GRD is still playing 70s and 80s rock peppered into their playlist just a tad too frequently despite LAV specifically doing the same. I know that GRD has Loudwire Nights, but that's syndicated for 5 whole hours and kind of doesn't count when it's not locally-produced. But full disclosure: I realize that Q106 plays a good deal of classic rock too. But they also have programs like New Q Sundays, play a lot of metal and heavier rock, and a pretty good variety of music. I just feel like GRD is more on the stale side.

I just wish they'd ditch the older tunes and replace them with anything newer, heavier, or different. Not sure if anyone else really agrees.

Three and half hours of their playlist this afternoon and evening:

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell <-- 1983
Played At 6:31 PM


Foo Fighters - Todays Song
Played At 6:28 PM

Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome
Played At 6:23 PM

Black Crowes - Profane Prophecy <-- oddly recent
Played At 6:12 PM

Ac/Dc - Rock And Roll Aint Noise Pollution <-- 1980
Played At 6:07 PM


Slipknot - Duality
Played At 6:04 PM

Soundgarden - Fell On Black Days
Played At 5:59 PM

Creed - My Own Prison
Played At 5:49 PM

Guns N Roses - Nothin <-- oddly recent
Played At 5:44 PM

Korn - Falling Away From Me
Played At 5:39 PM

The Funeral Portrait - Dark Thoughts
Played At 5:35 PM

Aerosmith - Dude <-- 1987
Played At 5:31 PM


Ghost - Square Hammer
Played At 5:19 PM

Bush - Glycerine
Played At 5:14 PM

Disturbed - I Will Not Break
Played At 5:09 PM

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood <-- 1989
Played At 5:00 PM


Judas Priest - Breaking The Law <-- 1980
Played At 4:57 PM


Shinedown - Searchlight
Played At 4:54 PM

Bon Jovi - Livin On A Prayer <-- 1986
Played At 4:50 PM


Nine Inch Nails - As Alive As You Need Me To Be
Played At 4:39 PM

Days Of The New - Touch, Peel And Stand
Played At 4:34 PM

Foo Fighters - Under You
Played At 4:30 PM

Rage Against The Machine - Bulls On Parade
Played At 4:26 PM

Green Day - American Idiot
Played At 4:22 PM

Van Halen - You Really Got Me <-- 1978
Played At 4:12 PM


Mammoth - The Spell
Played At 4:08 PM

Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
Played At 4:03 PM

Greta Van Fleet - Highway Tune
Played At 4:00 PM

Three Days Grace - Kill Me Fast
Played At 3:57 PM

Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You
Played At 3:45 PM

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Played At 3:41 PM

Poison - Nothin But A Good Time <-- 1988
Played At 3:37 PM


Five Finger Death Punch - Jeckyll And Hyde
Played At 3:34 PM

Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Played At 3:30 PM

Bad Omens - Dying To Love
Played At 3:18 PM

Ozzy Osbourne - I Dont Know <-- 1980
Played At 3:13 PM


Nickelback - Rockstar
Played At 3:09 PM

Metallica - Turn The Page
Played At 3:02 PM

Def Leppard - Rocket <-- 1987
Played At 2:58 PM
Marine propagation studies, Korean propaganda and jammers (8 hrs. of audio), 500+ Great Lakes TOH IDs (6 hrs.), Chinese AM TOH IDs (53 hrs.), Chinese and Taiwanese propaganda and jammers, plus articles and maps at www.chriskadlec.com • Tuner: Grundig G8 & TEF6686.
Realist
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Classic Rock GRD

Unread post by Realist »

Reading that playlist, it sounds like a typical Townsquare active rock playlist as sister station Banana 101.5 in Flint sounded similar last time I listened to them.

Ozzy and AC/DC belong on that list for an active rock station. Hell, that’s what I hear on Z93. The rest of your bold font selections don’t.
RELEASE THE EPSTEIN FILES!!!

Everything else from the felon is a distraction
User avatar
teetoppz28
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Re: Classic Rock GRD

Unread post by teetoppz28 »

Realist wrote: ↑Wed Jan 14, 2026 11:27 am Reading that playlist, it sounds like a typical Townsquare active rock playlist as sister station Banana 101.5 in Flint sounded similar last time I listened to them.

Ozzy and AC/DC belong on that list for an active rock station. Hell, that’s what I hear on Z93. The rest of your bold font selections don’t.
The past couple weeks I've noticed a lot more 90's rock / grunge on Z93 than normal. It's been a nice change, even if it's just temporary.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts (where DID they all go??).
Unapologetically intellectually superior.
User avatar
RockerTim
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Re: Classic Rock GRD

Unread post by RockerTim »

cckadlec - I agree completely. A few years ago, I was listening to GRD in the garage and they had played a pretty good streak of good, newer stuff. Then they played Bon Jovi You Give Love A Bad Name. If I wasn't under a car and out of reach of the radio, I would have changed the channel. If I wanted to hear Bon Jovi, I would have tuned in at least 4 other stations that day. After I got out from under the car, I actually posted on GRD's Facebook that they "give radio a bad name" for playing old Bon Jovi. I suppose kind of rude, but someone needed to tell them. There is so much good new/newer/modern rock that should be played in place of the classic rock on GRD. I grew up on and love the classics, but I also want new stuff. That's the biggest reason I have Sirius XM - for the Octane channel.
Post Reply