All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
User avatar
48125er
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Unread post by 48125er »

I listened to 95.7 for about a half hour today and noticed they had way more 2010's and 2000's and even a 90s song in there.

So maybe theyll reprogram 100.5 as a classic hits
Edward_XE
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:23 am

Re: WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Unread post by Edward_XE »

According to official comments on 98.7's Facebook page, which is still labeled as "98.7 The Grand", on December 26th, the music formerly played on 98.7, is moving up the dial to 100.5.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5730
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

Excellent! :)

This is the right move.
For those of you who are missing the music and the DJs that you love, don't worry! It's coming back, it'll just be up the dial a little bit on 100.5 starting on December 26!
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5730
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

By the way, does anyone know why WTRV hasn't upgraded (or is unable to upgrade) to 6 kW / 100 m as opposed to its current 3kW / 100 m?

WFGR broadcasts with 2.75 kW using a significantly higher antenna than WTRV, so I suspect WFGR is maxed out for a Class A.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
User avatar
craigrussell100
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Humboldt, Iowa

Re: WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Unread post by craigrussell100 »

First, interesting that they finally are giving up on the River...good choice though

Second I would imagine 100.5 cant upgrade due to having to protect 100.5 from Saginaw? Only thing I can think of, other than the people who have owned 100.5 in the past and present are cheap...and would the extra 3k watts really turn into bigger ratings or revenue?

Third "Not so sure I agree. If play by play rights were prohibitively expensive, you wouldn't see (some) Pistons broadcasts on a throwaway signal such as AM 1230.

Secondly, perhaps the deal with Audacy requires Audacy to work on TSQ's behalf to secure PBP rights for the major Detroit teams for the Grand Rapids market. I'm pretty sure Audacy's current contract with the Ilitch organization expires after the current hockey season. If that is indeed the case, I'd be stunned if Audacy didn't include its TSQ partner stations in any new multi-year deal with the Ilitch organization involving the Tigers and Wings."

There is, unfortunately, no way to completely know how much the local affiliates pay the Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons to run their games. I can make some guesses. Doing a little research with Chat GPT, The Tigers probably charge anywhere from 0-20k a year for smaller market stations such as Traverse City and Alma. (0 being just straight barter--run the games and all the commercials in said games and that pays the bill)

For bigger markets (Grand Raids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, etc) its more than likely in the 25-50k range. Thats just the Tigers. The Wings and Pistons could be similar. And the Lions? Id guess a little higher. 50-100k. It could cost a station like FGR 250k in rights for the 4 main teams. FGR was only billing in the 500-750k range with its 3-4 share 12+ a few years ago. Im guessing the share overall will be way less, if the 2 other sports stations in the market are any indication. That price tag might be way too high.

Now if Audicy makes a big sweet deal for the TSQ stations and others on the network for the rights, that would be ideal. Not sure if I Heart will go quietly, as they see some kind of value to have the games locally.

Wil be interesting to see what plays out. I still give it 2 years and TSQ dumps this for Urban AC...
You like corn?
ChrisWL1980
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Unread post by ChrisWL1980 »

I also noticed the playlist tweak at 95.7 over the weekend when I heard Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing." I figured River wouldn't be back after the holidays when it took them so long to flip to Christmas music. In the past, they flipped around the same time as 105.7 did.
Does this mean Andy Rent is out, or will the reincarnation of WFGR at 100.5 make room for him?
I think WITL is the biggest reason WTRV can't upgrade/move east. WITL already comes in pretty well in eastern Kent County - and remember WION was able to get a translator on 100.3 in Lowell, which is about the eastern fringe of WTRV's 54dbu. I doubt WSGW-FM is the issue; their signal barely makes it west of Alma.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5730
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WFGR flipping? (It is! December 1 is the date.)

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

WITL and potentially WQXC came to mind for me.

I recall now that the Kuiper Family tried to get zoning approval to construct a tower in Tallmadge Twp to be a max Class A facility, got denied, and then filed a lawsuit over the matter, which evidently went nowhere. So, I suspect they are operating under a grandfathered Class A designation (as is WQXC).

Townsquare as a company seems willing to tolerate adjacent channel or co-channel translator interference for whatever reason. Perhaps 100.5 is still tunable without much trouble in Lowell? The example that really stuns me is how badly 103.1 in Rochester Hills interferes with 103.1 WQUS from Lapeer. WQUS is no longer comfortably listenable in a car in Lake Orion or Romeo and even gets minor interference in Oxford.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
Post Reply