All accepted new registrations through 11:00p ET on September 26 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Discussion pertaining to Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Midland, Mt. Pleasant, and Michigan's thumb region.
Post Reply
bmw
Posts: 9285
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by bmw »

Looks like just looking back at their playlist that the format tweak happened at 1 AM the early morning of Wednesday Aug 27.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5710
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

One day & 7 hours before the relaunch of 89X. This past week was a big week for fans of alternative rock in eastern Michigan.

I'll have to check in on Rock 105.5 in Port Huron soon to see what they're up to these days.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
bmw
Posts: 9285
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by bmw »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Aug 31, 2025 9:27 pm I'll have to check in on Rock 105.5 in Port Huron soon to see what they're up to these days.
Couldn't find a playlist on their website, but Online Radio Box as a current one:

https://onlineradiobox.com/us/whls/play ... s&played=1

Rock solid playlist (no pun intended), IMO, including just enough flavor to make it interesting (for instance, Lakini's Juice by Live which I haven't heard on the radio in years).

Also, the sound quality of their online stream is EXCELLENT.

I wasn't even aware this station existed. Gonna have to add it to my list of streams to listen to at work.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5710
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

Great find.

That playlist is much more diverse than I remember! The station used to sound a lot like The Core did prior to the latter's format modification last week.

That is a high quality playlist; I will certainly give their stream a listen again this week. I do wish 105.5 in Port Huron would drop trailer park artists such as Kid Rock and Hinder, though.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
ChrisWL1980
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by ChrisWL1980 »

bmw wrote: ↑Sun Aug 31, 2025 8:31 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 31, 2025 8:05 pm Looks almost like a Triple-A or even Modern AC from that sample hour.
To clarify, that wasn't a straight-up playlist for an hour, I pulled that as a sampling from half a day or so. The remainder of their playlist is similar to what they were playing before, minus most of the active rock. Lots of Nirvana, Sum 41, Third Eye Blind, RHCP, Incubus, Smahing Pumpkins, Green Day, Tonic, Pearl Jam, Bush, the Beastie Boys, etc, so it's still well within the realm of alternative. Noticeably absent is anything from Metallica which they used to play a lot of.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Realist
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by Realist »

Just saw today that The Core dropped Dave and Chuck the Freak from mornings. It apparently happened a couple of weeks ago. Only learned of it when I saw a video on FB of midday jock Kenzi and afternoon guy Biscuit(?) teased a video of their new morning show

With news like this slipping by, is anyone actually listening to this station?
RELEASE THE EPSTEIN FILES!!!

Everything else from the felon is a distraction
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5710
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

She is also handling morning show duties at sister station Alt 105.1 in Louisville, KY.

I wonder if the same show is simulcast on the two stations?

I can only dream of the day WRIF ditches Dave and Chuck. The mouth breathers in Metro Detroit seem to enjoy their crappy show.

I cannot help but wonder if they'll end syndication soon. They lost Las Vegas, lost Tampa (station was sold), more-or-less lost Boston (station was sold; their show continues on a flea powered AM station & FM Translator), will likely lose Fort Myers soon (station sale is pending), and now they've lost Saginaw.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
Realist
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by Realist »

D&C ending syndication wouldn’t be a great loss at all. Never found the show appealing or funny. They seem to have the same stories every other morning show does

Who really needs to be dumped is Free Beer and Hot Wings. Show hasn’t been funny in years and has gotten very stale. They are supposedly in contract negotiations currently but nothing has been finalized. I’m guessing that they’re going to have to take a pay cut and not demand that all Clownsquare rock stations carry them to stay.
RELEASE THE EPSTEIN FILES!!!

Everything else from the felon is a distraction
User avatar
craigrussell100
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Humboldt, Iowa

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by craigrussell100 »

"I’m guessing that they’re going to have to take a pay cut and not demand that all Clownsquare rock stations carry them to stay."

Not gonna lie, have worked with both of those guys (FB&HW) and can tell you they are the nicest guys who could easily be jerks. Yeah they are making bank, but super down to earth and humble, at least they always were with me.

And if I know TSQ, and I think I do, THEY are the ones who force feed them to all their rock stations. I really doubt Gregg and Chris "demand" them to run the show. Not really their M.O.
You like corn?
Realist
Posts: 1476
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by Realist »

And their new morning show is the syndicated Dave and Mahoney.

I’ve listened to them before when visiting Fort Myers, as a defunct rock station carried them for their afternoon show. They’re not bad…
RELEASE THE EPSTEIN FILES!!!

Everything else from the felon is a distraction
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5710
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

Interesting choice. I believe 92.1 in the Thumb carries them. Their flagship used to be KXTE in Las Vegas but is now KSLX in Phoenix (a classic rock station).
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
Matt
Posts: 15608
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Home of the National Champions

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by Matt »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Thu Jan 01, 2026 5:31 pm Interesting choice. I believe 92.1 in the Thumb carries them. Their flagship used to be KXTE in Las Vegas but is now KSLX in Phoenix (a classic rock station).
I don't blame them - Phoenix is superior to dirty Vegas.
America on Hiatus 1/20/25 - 1/20/29

Foxtrot
Delta
Tango

9000 - 353
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5710
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

KSLX is also owned by a much better company (Hubbard).

Beasley has mismanaged KXTE since acquiring the station from Audacy. After a short lived ratings surge, KXTE's numbers are back in the basement. KOMP is wiping the floor clean with them.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
TheGeekJedi
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Unread post by TheGeekJedi »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Jan 04, 2026 6:43 am KSLX is also owned by a much better company (Hubbard).

Beasley has mismanaged KXTE since acquiring the station from Audacy. After a short lived ratings surge, KXTE's numbers are back in the basement. KOMP is wiping the floor clean with them.
KSLX's PD is a good friend of mine. A talented and all around nice guy - and a Detroit native.
Post Reply