All accepted new registrations through 11:00p ET on September 26 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Discussion pertaining to Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Midland, Mt. Pleasant, and Michigan's thumb region.
Post Reply
MrJeffrey2020
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:08 am

WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by MrJeffrey2020 »

I purchased a Zapperbox which allows me to receive ATSC 3.0 signals.
12,25,46,66 all work fine but WNEM has theirs blacked out. On a Zapperbox it shows you the signal level which is 71 which is pretty good so it's not poor signal. And there is no lock on the channel saying it's encrypted, yet it's blacked out, any ideas?

On a side note, I am able to receive the 1.0 signal of WNEM just fine, but that's not the point. I bought an ATSC 3.0 for a reason.
I wonder if there is anyone with any broadcast connections with WNEM to answer this on this page.
Jason Kragt
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:01 pm

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by Jason Kragt »

MrJeffrey2020
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:08 am

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by MrJeffrey2020 »

Jason Kragt wrote: ↑Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:15 pm Could it be this?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=62463
On a Zapperbox there is usually a lock next to encrypted channels. There isn't one on 5, it's just blacked out.
MikeBear
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:15 am

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by MikeBear »

It's encrypted again since a few days ago at least. My HDHR can't decode it as of yet either.
tvbobn
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:25 pm

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by tvbobn »

Keep in mind that all of the 3.0 signals are coming from WBSF on the WEYI tower. WBSF is the only 3.0 station in the market.

WNEM, WJRT, WEYI, WBSF and WSMH primary channels are broadcast on channel 46 (RF 23) on 3.0

WNEM 1.0 has not changed and is broadcast from the tower in Indiantown on channel 5 (RF 30).

Those stations are working together to get 3.0 started in this market. If it's blacked out on 3.0, contact WNEM or WBSF to see why.
Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!
MikeBear
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:15 am

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by MikeBear »

tvbobn wrote: ↑Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:25 pm If it's blacked out on 3.0, contact WNEM or WBSF to see why.
He's talking about WNEM's 3.0 signal, and it's "blacked out" because they encrypted it. ONLY a tv set with an ATSC 3.0 tuner can decrypt it at present. Neither the Zapperbox, OR the HDHR 4k tuners can decrypt encrypted 3.0 stations at present.

YES, it's possible for JUST Wnem to encrypt their 3.0 signal, without the others doing so at present. However, the plan is for ALL 3.0 stations to eventually encrypt. See this: https://a3sa.com/
djb
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:20 am

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by djb »

I have a feeling this is going to be fun. X.509/TLS w/CA?

I'd expect TVs to have a shorter lifespan, due to advances in TLS encryption over time. Get ready to help your parents/grandparents with firmware updates! (Assuming firmware updates would be delivered via the air - so do broadcasters have to keep a file library of all manufacturers' tuners? Do they forward requests to a centralized CDN? Do TV's/Tuners require internet access?)

Hopefully broadcasters insure their certificates don't expire on holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc; or at least renew them prior to going on vacation!

Just random thoughts; I haven't read deep enough - and I can likely find the answers to my questions by researching more.
MikeBear
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:15 am

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by MikeBear »

djb wrote: ↑Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 am I have a feeling this is going to be fun. X.509/TLS w/CA?

I'd expect TVs to have a shorter lifespan, due to advances in TLS encryption over time. Get ready to help your parents/grandparents with firmware updates! (Assuming firmware updates would be delivered via the air - so do broadcasters have to keep a file library of all manufacturers' tuners? Do they forward requests to a centralized CDN? Do TV's/Tuners require internet access?)

Hopefully broadcasters insure their certificates don't expire on holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc; or at least renew them prior to going on vacation!

Just random thoughts; I haven't read deep enough - and I can likely find the answers to my questions by researching more.
From my understanding, tv sets have MULTIPLE certificates embedded within their closed architecture. The theory being, if one or even a few certificates get breached by "pirates", they'll just switch to using a different one. Since devices such as the Zapperbox and the HDHR type tuners are NOT closed architecture, they will have to be delivered certificates over the internet, and the A3SA encryption group will be able to verify that individual tuners are NOT hacked. If they are, they can shut those ones down remotely.
djb
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:20 am

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by djb »

Interesting. Glad to hear they're "assuming numerous possibilities". Although, truth be told - EVERYTHING is vulnerable.
ReallyStoked
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: WNEM ATSC 3.0 signal Blackout

Unread post by ReallyStoked »

Lately I haven’t been able to connect to any of the local ATSC 3.0 broadcast. It’s like every time I try it takes to their ATSC 1.0 broadcast using HDHR. I wish my tuner wouldn’t do that, as I would prefer as weak signal or some other message.
Post Reply