All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
radionut
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:09 pm

Re: JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Unread post by radionut »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:52 pm Tony Gates to WFGR?

If his non-compete period from contract expiration is six months, that period will expire very soon.
I think it’s up March 1st.
Edward_XE
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:23 am

Re: JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Unread post by Edward_XE »

Here's a topic which, after 20 years of lurking, finally got me to create an account and make a post.

Listening to a no-name voice-tracked personality talk about funny gender reveal party stories, and then encouraging me to read more about them on "our station app", is not entertaining to me. At least JoJo talked about local topics, took calls from people, and was funny. WFGR's insistence on using voice-tracking to go along with their stale playlist makes Spotify look more appealing to me.

Before JoJo was at WFGR, I liked listening to Andy O'Reily. The best thing about Andy's show was sometimes he would deviate from the playlist, and play songs like Ace Frehely's "Rip it Out", " and "New York Groove." Probably the one and only time I heard a song new to me on WFGR was when Andy played "Salt in my Tears", by Martin Briley. I never heard it, or Martin Briley, before hearing in on WFGR. Thanks for playing it, Andy!

Ed
User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 15167
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Unread post by TC Talks »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm I smell a flip to classic rock, perhaps?
If they are flipping stations to Classic Rock, radio is indeed dead.
283,000,000 Americans didn't vote for Trump.

Ask me about my tap water.

Posting Content © 2026 TC Talks Holdings LP.
ftballfan
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Unread post by ftballfan »

Could 98.7 flip to a near-clone of 102.5/104.9 in Kzoo/Battle Creek? It is different enough from Magic 104.9, which is straight-up Hip Hop nowadays.
jaywmi
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:37 am

Re: JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Unread post by jaywmi »

If they did flip to Classic Rock, would they eliminate it from WGRD and lean that more in a KPNT-like direction? (If only...)

But, more realistically... I would assume WFGR just keeps it "steady as she goes" for the time being. Nothing exciting ever seems to happen in Grand Rapids radio...
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm Townsquare just cancelled its national classic hits format evening show; it will stop airing in mid-February. Grand Rapids was the largest market that cleared the show, I believe.

Lame, unbranded voicetracking to follow, or could this be a sign of an upcoming format change when paired with the fact JoJo and Ken Evans were both cut loose?

I smell a flip to classic rock, perhaps?
GnashManDu
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:21 pm

Re: JoJo Girard’s last day at WFGR

Unread post by GnashManDu »

whitebalance wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:17 pm Townsquare Media. Media not. Ownership

Oaktree Capital Management and The Madison Square Garden Company
No wonder.
Yep, plus isn't the General Manager out of Audacy in Detroit? You hire a guy from one of the monoliths and they'll start cutting salaries ASAP to protect their bonus. If I'm anyone other than Free Beer and Hot Wings I'm looking over my shoulder every quarter.
Post Reply