Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
uncleb67

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by uncleb67 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:59 am

Heard Mr. P on “The Home & Appliance Show” (which BTW, actually posts their show consistently on Apple Podcasts within the day of live broadcast!). Joe Gagnon, The Appliance Doctor, had nothing but nice things to say about Mr. P, and another caller claimed he may have gone to high school with Mr. P!

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:52 am

uncleb67 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:59 am
Heard Mr. P on “The Home & Appliance Show” (which BTW, actually posts their show consistently on Apple Podcasts within the day of live broadcast!). Joe Gagnon, The Appliance Doctor, had nothing but nice things to say about Mr. P, and another caller claimed he may have gone to high school with Mr. P!
Has anyone heard JJ on another recent sports show? I know Ron said yesterday that he talked to him (when & - without JJ's number - how remaining a mystery) & JJ told him he was no longer interested in sports, but I know JJ was heard on Luke's Dialed in Detroit show long after he went missing from Ron's show. And I also know to never take Ron at his word. At least he didn't bury this MIA caller like he did with Gutterball Tony.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:02 pm

uncleb67 wrote:
I have heard Mr P on 97.1 as well, he’s world wide as he says :)

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:38 pm

Momo wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:52 am
uncleb67 wrote:
Has anyone heard JJ on another recent sports show? I know Ron said yesterday that he talked to him (when & - without JJ's number - how remaining a mystery) & JJ told him he was no longer interested in sports, but I know JJ was heard on Luke's Dialed in Detroit show long after he went missing from Ron's show. And I also know to never take Ron at his word. At least he didn't bury this MIA caller like he did with Gutterball Tony.
I've tried listening to WTKA a few times, since they talk about one of J.J.'s favorite topics (UM sports), but the hosts seem more interested in talking than taking calls, so I haven't heard him. Ron's show could really use him now.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:04 am

Midweek Memories

Sunday, February 26, 2017 (Hour 2)

Interview with Jerry Green.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... yGreen.mp3

Also, here is a zip file of open line shows from February 2017. Unfortunately, two January 2017 shows that I've already posted were accidentally uploaded as February 2017 shows by WDTK to their website. So I didn't have files for for 2/4/17 (hour 1) and 2/5/17 (hour 2).

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... ry2017.zip

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:30 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:04 am
Midweek Memories

"Hello, Ron."

I've always cited Ron's (French restaurant sponsor's) "day old scallops" (rather than "day boat scallops") as his worst ad read. But we may have a "new" leader in the clubhouse. Rather than refer to "Creams N' Caps," a pharmacy sponsor
(https://www.loc8nearme.com/michigan/nov ... ps/2438769), Ron said, "Creams N' Crap."

When a caller brought up the then-recent deaths of Mike Ilitch & Ron Savage, a still-grieving Ron referred to Savage - whom he now was saying he met twice - as a "friend" (who was a BIG fan of Ron). More reason to be most skeptical of all of Ron's great "friends."

Ron's clearly no mid-20th century presidential scholar. He has Truman as president in 1939. And he told a jumbled story of dubious origin when he pointed out that Truman went to bed not knowing if he was elected, only to be wakened by a knock on the door informing he had won. "What do I do from here," Ron's Truman is reported to have then said.

Ron felt the need to fact check Jerry Green when Jerry told a story from 1957 when an Al Kaline home run was washed-away when a game got cancelled. Jerry said the game was cancelled after 4.5 innings. But thanks to Ron's invaluable contribution, we learned that the game had to have been cancelled in the top of the 4th inning.

Dave from Warren called to ask Jerry if he knew, of all people, Westbrook Pegler
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbrook_Pegler) & Watson Spoelsta. Although Ron jumped in to mention that Spoelstra's grandson was the coach of the Heat, he spared us his likely apocryphal story of their "encounter."

Nonetheless, Ron did manage to entertain his guest with lots of stories about himself. In one such story, Jerry was prompted to call Ron a "rink rat." I'm wondering if there's much daylight between a "rink rat" & a "jock sniffer."

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:49 pm

Momo wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:30 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Midweek Memories

"Hello, Ron."

I've always cited Ron's (French restaurant sponsor's) "day old scallops" (rather than "day boat scallops") as his worst ad read. But we may have a "new" leader in the clubhouse. Rather than refer to "Creams N' Caps," a pharmacy sponsor
(https://www.loc8nearme.com/michigan/nov ... ps/2438769), Ron said, "Creams N' Crap."

When a caller brought up the then-recent deaths of Mike Ilitch & Ron Savage, a still-grieving Ron referred to Savage - whom he now was saying he met twice - as a "friend" (who was a BIG fan of Ron). More reason to be most skeptical of all of Ron's great "friends."

Ron's clearly no mid-20th century presidential scholar. He has Truman as president in 1939. And he told a jumbled story of dubious origin when he pointed out that Truman went to bed not knowing if he was elected, only to be wakened by a knock on the door informing he had won. "What do I do from here," Ron's Truman is reported to have then said.

Ron felt the need to fact check Jerry Green when Jerry told a story from 1957 when an Al Kaline home run was washed-away when a game got cancelled. Jerry said the game was cancelled after 4.5 innings. But thanks to Ron's invaluable contribution, we learned that the game had to have been cancelled in the top of the 4th inning.

Dave from Warren called to ask Jerry if he knew, of all people, Westbrook Pegler
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbrook_Pegler) & Watson Spoelsta. Although Ron jumped in to mention that Spoelstra's grandson was the coach of the Heat, he spared us his likely apocryphal story of their "encounter."

Nonetheless, Ron did manage to entertain his guest with lots of stories about himself. In one such story, Jerry was prompted to call Ron a "rink rat." I'm wondering if there's much daylight between a "rink rat" & a "jock sniffer."
Jerry sounded a lot more energetic than the last time he talked with Ron. During that last interview, Jerry sounded mentally and physically like he was ready to check out.

Ron had a hard time controlling his laughter after the "Creams and Craps" misstatement. In one of the other interviews I posted, Ron cracks up about some apparent misreference to bar mitzvahs in a restaurant ad read.

In the lead-in to the discussion about Ron Savage and Mike Ilitch, Ron made a sarcastic comment about losing two "real beauties" recently, then tried to correct the tone he was using.
I'm wondering if there's much daylight between a "rink rat" & a "jock sniffer."
In Ron's case, none. Also, we learned that Ron earned his nickname as Scoop by constantly finding ways to deliver bad news to people who considered Ron a friend.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:50 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:49 pm
Ron had a hard time controlling his laughter after the "Creams and Craps" misstatement. In one of the other interviews I posted, Ron cracks up about some apparent misreference to bar mitzvahs in a restaurant ad read.

In the lead-in to the discussion about Ron Savage and Mike Ilitch, Ron made a sarcastic comment about losing two "real beauties" recently, then tried to correct the tone he was using.
What was the bar mitzvah misreference? I missed that.

I didn't think Ron was so much being sarcastic - why would he be critical of these two admirers?! - as he was just tripping over his tongue when he referenced the loss of the "real beauties."

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:19 am

Momo wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:50 pm
Bobbert wrote:

I did some digging and got the whole story on that one. It was on Saturday, 2/25/17.

In Hour 1, at about the 29 minute mark, Ron interviews the owner of a black-owned business called Detroit Soul. The owner talks about the different events that they cater, and Ron chimes in with "bar mitzvahs." They both immediately chuckle, and Ron tries to correct himself.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... 517_OL.mp3

Between Hours 1 and 2, I'm guessing that Ron and Alex were talking about Ron's misstatement, and Hour 2 starts with Ron trying to control his laughter about it while reading his first few ads.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... McLain.mp3

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:19 am
Momo wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:50 pm
Bobbert wrote:

I did some digging and got the whole story on that one. It was on Saturday, 2/25/17.

In Hour 1, at about the 29 minute mark, Ron interviews the owner of a black-owned business called Detroit Soul. The owner talks about the different events that they cater, and Ron chimes in with "bar mitzvahs." They both immediately chuckle, and Ron tries to correct himself.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... 517_OL.mp3

Between Hours 1 and 2, I'm guessing that Ron and Alex were talking about Ron's misstatement, and Hour 2 starts with Ron trying to control his laughter about it while reading his first few ads.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... McLain.mp3
Thanks! I'm sure their pork chops are a big hit at Detroit Soul's catered bar mitzvahs.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:49 am

1-3 tomorrow?

Any guests to bring in the new year?

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:31 pm

Yes, 1-3 tomorrow. I don’t recall if Ron had lined up any guests this weekend, although there was some mention of three unnamed umpires he hoped to have on soon. I don’t think I’ll be able to listen to tomorrow’s show, but I’ll be back Sunday.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:28 pm

As of 3:27pm January 6, 2023, two months have elapsed since the last podcast of Ron's show was made available on WDTK's website.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:09 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Also, here is a zip file of open line shows from February 2017. Unfortunately, two January 2017 shows that I've already posted were accidentally uploaded as February 2017 shows by WDTK to their website. So I didn't have files for for 2/4/17 (hour 1) and 2/5/17 (hour 2).

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... ry2017.zip
Interesting to see the progression of restaurant news. On the 2/5/17 (Sunday) show, Ron announced that Home Run Pizza was opening 10:00 am that Wednesday in the food court of the Laurel Park Mall ("a great location"). Listeners were asked to stop by & "ask for Ron," who would be in his office in the back. (On the 2/4/17 show, talking about the upcoming opening, Jeff from Ferndale stressed the importance of getting good help, prompting Ron to ask if Jeff was looking for work!). On the following Sunday (2/12/17), we learned that Ron turned down the Laurel Park Mall location, but he'd have an announcement about his new restaurant in the next week. No announcement was forthcoming the following week, but Ron said he'd have one probably the next week. On the 2/25/17 show, Ron again promised an announcement in a week, stressing that it was a "tough decision." The next day, Ron spoke about an announcement "maybe next week," with four cities in the running, mentioning only three, Grosse Pointe, Troy & Plymouth.

Other highlights/lowlights included John from Livonia - channeling Rich from New York - asking when the Super Bowl the next day was starting. We also learned of the standing ovation Ron received in Lakeland when he was in the proximity of Chet Lemon. And further talk of the loss of that "great man" Ron Savage (who, of course, loved him some Ron Cameron) led Ron to note that eight guests of his had died within three months of being on his show. Ron also announced that, due to being ripped-off by his former boxer, Lane Staal (to the tune of $75,000), there would be no future talk of boxing on his show. As boxing referee Frank Garza has since been a guest on at least a couple of occasions, another promise not kept.

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:33 pm

I think a more appropriate name for a RC pizza place would be something like Foul Ball Pizza or Called Third Strike Pizza.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic