Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:11 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm
I know many people are afraid to say it for fear of the public becoming lax, but there's no doubt in my mind that weather has a SIGNIFICANT impact.

In our country - look at the 2 biggest cities. New York City has nearly 4,000 cases while Los Angeles doesn't even have 200. Over the past few weeks, NYC's mean temperature has been around 45 degrees while Los Angeles has been around 60 degrees.

Internationally, it continues to be true that while 25% of the world's population lives on the 3 warmest continents - Africa, South America, and Australia, less than a half of a percent of all cases are on these 3 continents. The other 99.5% are in Europe, Asia, and North America.

And then there was these study results released just today:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-w ... -19/703418

Basically, the R0 value lineally declines with temperature and humidity. As summer temperatures here in the US push into the 80s and 90s, that R0 value could fall from near 2 to just above 1, thereby significantly slowing down the spread.
Good find!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:41 pm

I spoke with a Brazilian client today...

Brazil is not testing anyone, and not restricting the Carnival celebration where pretty much everyone is partying. Let's watch how that turns out.

California is predicting 25 million cases by the end 8 weeks.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:25 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm
I know many people are afraid to say it for fear of the public becoming lax, but there's no doubt in my mind that weather has a SIGNIFICANT impact.

In our country - look at the 2 biggest cities. New York City has nearly 4,000 cases while Los Angeles doesn't even have 200. Over the past few weeks, NYC's mean temperature has been around 45 degrees while Los Angeles has been around 60 degrees.

Internationally, it continues to be true that while 25% of the world's population lives on the 3 warmest continents - Africa, South America, and Australia, less than a half of a percent of all cases are on these 3 continents. The other 99.5% are in Europe, Asia, and North America.

And then there was these study results released just today:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-w ... -19/703418

Basically, the R0 value lineally declines with temperature and humidity. As summer temperatures here in the US push into the 80s and 90s, that R0 value could fall from near 2 to just above 1, thereby significantly slowing down the spread.
Having the time to look it up Cases in California and Florida are on pace with ours.. actually a little higher... I don’t think it works the way you want it too (let’s be honest I want it to as well) but there have been other experts saying that temperature doesn’t seem to matter much.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm

I know a news director out of state that got tested, he was negative. He was told it is 5x harder to catch than flu.

A former co-worker, almost retirement age, tested positive after international travel. He wrote that the coughing was really, really bad and thought he might die. He has since recovered.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:32 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm
I know a news director out of state that got tested, he was negative. He was told it is 5x harder to catch than flu.

A former co-worker, almost retirement age, tested positive after international travel. He wrote that the coughing was really, really bad and thought he might die. He has since recovered.
The 5x harder to catch thing is a myth. This is actually several times easier to catch. If it were harder to catch it would not have spread this fast. Glad the other guy recovered.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 pm

California just ordered everyone in the state to stay home. The governor is projecting half the population will get this over the next 8 weeks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 am

Michigan's governor is worse.

Mark my words!

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am

Stay-at-home orders for hard-hit regions is one thing. But the entire state of California? Completely unnecessary and probably going to create more problems than it solves.

The same would be true of Michigan. One size does not fit all.

But....as I said last week....it was only a matter of time before people started being basically locked in their homes, for who knows how long. I stand by my original assessment that we've lost our minds.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:03 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am
Stay-at-home orders for hard-hit regions is one thing. But the entire state of California? Completely unnecessary and probably going to create more problems than it solves.

The same would be true of Michigan. One size does not fit all.

But....as I said last week....it was only a matter of time before people started being basically locked in their homes, for who knows how long. I stand by my original assessment that we've lost our minds.
With a flood or a fire or a tornado that makes sense. With a virus that spreads person to person locking some people in and letting others roam freely if they weren’t in a “hard hit” area is asinine. Either you do all or nothing. Locking those in a hard hit area in their homes and letting others move freely only encourages the spread of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm

No cases in my county. This mostly an urban problem.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm
For the moment.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:15 pm

True

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm a Californian. While I am a social liberal, this state has gone off the rails. Brown was ridiculous and I hated Newsom. I think his "stay home" decision was very wise though. By getting ahead of the curve by some extent, it will save some lives. Maybe a friend of mine....or mine.
The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:23 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm
How many ventilators does you local hospital have? That's a piece of data to keep in mind. Per thousand people, Traverse City is in great shape. Also, what is the average age? Rural areas are usually filled with older at risk residents.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Well my company is gonna start layoffs effective Sunday... travel is nonexistent. Of 81 people 60 of them will suffer this fate until things come back. Crazy times. I wonder how bad the unemployment claims, rate and job losses will be by the report in April?

One firm believes 23 million jobs may be at immediate risk and 3 firms peg unemployment claims for JUST March 15 to 21 at between 2 and 3 million:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/23-mi ... mic-report

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic