All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
audiophile
Posts: 9556
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by audiophile »

Ben Zonia wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:39 pm They haven't changed the call letters yet. That's why.
FCC is closed.
Psalm 139:13 ~ For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.

Jeremiah 1:5 ~ "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;

Exodus 20:13 ~ “You shall not murder."
User avatar
RandJob
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:59 pm

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by RandJob »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 pm But on 94.5 - all they need to do is ID "WTNR Holland / Grand Rapids." There is no reason at all to mention WBBL.
I don't think anyone there knows how legal IDs work.

Didn't someone here point out that they weren't even IDing properly when they switched the formats earlier this month? Or maybe they don't care because the FCC is closed. 😂
In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.
User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by Ben Zonia »

audiophile wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm
Ben Zonia wrote: ↑Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:39 pm They haven't changed the call letters yet. That's why.
FCC is closed.
Because of the MLK 3 Day Weekend, or is it Shut Down?

Tach it up! Tach it up! Buddy, gonna shut you down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pYU0p6WZhU
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown
Michigan Media
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by Michigan Media »

I should have clarified. The current station ID on 94.5 is "WTNR Holland and WBBL Greeneville/Grand Rapids." Why include WBBL in the ID if 94.5 and 107.3 are no longer simulcasting? I would give them a pass if it was a generic ID that they forgot to replace after the format change, but they actually had the new voiceover guy record it for the launch of the new format!
JeremyAndrews
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by JeremyAndrews »

[quote="Michigan Media" post_id=558461 time=1547926410 user_id=7501]
I should have clarified. The current station ID on 94.5 is "WTNR Holland and WBBL Greeneville/Grand Rapids." Why include WBBL in the ID if 94.5 and 107.3 are no longer simulcasting? I would give them a pass if it was a generic ID that they forgot to replace after the format change, but they actually had the new voiceover guy record it for the launch of the new format!
[/quote]

Maybe this was put together before they decided to go ahead with Thunder. They're using the old WBBL internet stream which leads me to believe it's originating from that studio.
Schyster
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by Schyster »

I like this choice of format - it appeals to a group of people who most likely feel that radio has nothing for them. That being said, and knowing what we know now - why wouldn't Cumulus spend the past two weeks telling listeners to "make the switch" to 107.3? Why not hammer away to change the presets, switch the radio over to 107.3 right now. Why put up this charade that Thunder was going to be on 94.5 and 107.3? Sure, everyone on here knew what was going on, but Average Joe listener doesn't. So now they tune in 94.5, which just changed to Thunder 2 weeks ago, and it's gone. They had the perfect opportunity to get people tuned where they need to be, and at the same time build buzz over an impending format flip. I'm completely underwhelmed at how Cumulus handled these flips.
User avatar
48125er
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by 48125er »

Wonder if the call signs WKLQ will return to 94.5

This is certainly an interesting format, I think It will have better ratings than WBBL has but in WTRV's ballpark being around mid 2's on its best day given that soft AC is sort of a niche format also.
At least cumulus didn't do something stupid and put a full blown alternative like 101 WKQX in Chicago on 94.5, that would've been no better than WBBL's ratings.

I put it in my presets.
User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by Ben Zonia »

THE VALLEY CITY HAS A BRAND NEW Q.

There's nothing new under the sun, so why not?

WTNR====>WKLQ
WBBL====>WTNR
WJRW====>WBBL w/106.1 W291DJ
WKLQ====>WJRW

Didn't you get the memo?

The worst kept secret in West Michigan Radio. In like forever.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown
User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by Ben Zonia »

Looks like a slight change in TL for W291DJ. Filed 1-17-19. Coordinates shown as the same. Possible update error due to partial government shutdown.

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=200865
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown
User avatar
tc
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:57 pm

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by tc »

I I had no idea Gladys Knight fit into the AAA format.
Chrocket87
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by Chrocket87 »

So, I decided to stream The Q while running some errands the other day. I like it. So far, it sounds like a jock less version of “Ann Arbor’s 107.1”. AAA does seem too niche to make too much of ratings sense, perhaps Alternative would have been more mass appeal, but I think this station plays enough familiar material to give it a fighting chance. My one complaint is that they need a Recently Played area on their webpage. There’s a lot of unfamiliar material with this format, and I listen to AAA/Alt on a regular basis.
Make JD Bowman Again
Deleted User 12201

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Unread post by Deleted User 12201 »

I think the stream is pretty much a rebadged copy of the WBBL stream (you get the new 94.5 for instance if you ask Alexa to play WBBL) which probably didn't support music identification and playlisting. I suspect down the line, they will adjust the parameters. This whole execution feels a bit rushed, making me feel pretty sure they were trying to counter some 'threat'. And, starting with AAA makes some sense... there is room to evolve to Alternative or even Active Rock-leaning Alt (ala KPNT/St Louis), should they run into any headwinds... but I think this format should be good for a 2.5 or 3 share as is... there's already getting to be some buzz around it.

Also, as of yesterday evening, they are properly identifying the station at TOH... ("this is WTNR Holland/Grand Rapids") without any mention of the wrong facilities... took them a few days to realize that gaffe.
Chrocket87 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:33 am So, I decided to stream The Q while running some errands the other day. I like it. So far, it sounds like a jock less version of “Ann Arbor’s 107.1”. AAA does seem too niche to make too much of ratings sense, perhaps Alternative would have been more mass appeal, but I think this station plays enough familiar material to give it a fighting chance. My one complaint is that they need a Recently Played area on their webpage. There’s a lot of unfamiliar material with this format, and I listen to AAA/Alt on a regular basis.
Post Reply