All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

Underwood Out

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
inmyopinion
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:25 am

Underwood Out

Unread post by inmyopinion »

Email at WOOD from two weeks ago said his last-day is this week. Wondering why no-one in the know has commented on this yet?
User avatar
hanson
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by hanson »

If this is true, this is great news. Must be Steffens is not retiring soon enough :shock:
Honolulublue4life
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Muskegon County

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by Honolulublue4life »

There is a drawing on Bill Steffen's facebook Ch 8 did for Christmas, everyone is on there but Kyle.
Deleted User 12201

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by Deleted User 12201 »

I think Steffens is going to do the gig until literally the day he dies.
Honolulublue4life
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Muskegon County

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by Honolulublue4life »

It's true, he just posted on twitter. Last day is tomorrow.
inmyopinion
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:25 am

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by inmyopinion »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:38 pm I always liked Kyle Underwood's presentation style. I guess I don't understand the animosity toward him.

I wish him well and hope his exit means he's on to bigger & better things!

WOOD-TV seems to have a tendency to do RIFs in December, it seems. Not sure if that's what occurred here or not. It's been a long time since their weather department has only featured four on-air meteorologists.
They've had an opening listed for a few weeks. The only animosity I hear is from the people who actually know him, I've never met him, but his reputation is less than flattering.
User avatar
hanson
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by hanson »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:38 pm I always liked Kyle Underwood's presentation style. I guess I don't understand the animosity toward him.

I wish him well and hope his exit means he's on to bigger & better things!

WOOD-TV seems to have a tendency to do RIFs in December, it seems. Not sure if that's what occurred here or not. It's been a long time since their weather department has only featured for on-air meteorologists.
I think it is his delivery that bothers me; all of the long pauses. I don't know if this is just more prevalent at 8 but I notice this at many stations. When Randi Burns first arrived, she spoke in a normal manner. Now, she too has long pauses between some of her words and sounds like she is singing rather than speaking, just like the person she replaced. I guess this boils down to personal taste.
MasterB
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Kalamazoo

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by MasterB »

All the best to Kyle Underwood in whatever he does. I think he is the tallest ever at Wood TV.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.
User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 15167
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by TC Talks »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:53 am Mark Watkins at TV 7&4 in Traverse City has a delivery quite similar to that of Mr. Underwood's.
and he sticks out like a sore thumb up here... A bit too swanky for us country folk.
283,000,000 Americans didn't vote for Trump.

Ask me about my tap water.

Posting Content © 2026 TC Talks Holdings LP.
User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 15167
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by TC Talks »

The indentured servants of Sinclair don't mind.
283,000,000 Americans didn't vote for Trump.

Ask me about my tap water.

Posting Content © 2026 TC Talks Holdings LP.
ftballfan
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Underwood Out

Unread post by ftballfan »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 pm 7&4 gives Mr. Watkins a lot of airtime for his weather segments, too. :)

Seriously, some of his weather casts run pretty long!

Was stunned to see WPBN's morning newscast start at 4:30 in the morning. I still remember when a one hour local newscast in the morning was a big deal.
Trying to match 9&10! I think 9&10 went to 4:30 before 7&4 did
Post Reply