Page 1 of 1
My apology to AccuWeather
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 2:11 pm
by MWmetalhead
I erred in calling AccuWeather "morons" on Sunday for their projected high temp of 96 for Detroit today.
It turns out that was an outstanding forecast!!
DTW at 2PM reported 95 degrees and DET reported 98 degrees. Mt. Clemens and Troy are sitting at 95.
DTW's high temp through 2PM was 96.
I sincerely apologize to AccuWeather and applaud them for nailing a difficult forecast days in advance. My own forecast was not nearly hot enough.
Re: My apology to AccuWeather
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 3:29 pm
by Rate This
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 2:11 pm
I erred in calling AccuWeather "morons" on Sunday for their projected high temp of 96 for Detroit today.
It turns out that was an outstanding forecast!!
DTW at 2PM reported 95 degrees and DET reported 98 degrees. Mt. Clemens and Troy are sitting at 95.
DTW's high temp through 2PM was 96.
I sincerely apologize to AccuWeather and applaud them for nailing a difficult forecast days in advance. My own forecast was not nearly hot enough.
Some time ago there was an ad for their services that bragged about a study saying they were accurate some high percentage of the time and more so then the NWS. Part of Project 2025 called for turning over a lot of the forecasting stuff to them and maybe other private folks and winding down NWS. Maybe there is some room for them at the table.
Re: My apology to AccuWeather
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 6:29 pm
by MotorCityRadioFreak
They can’t be utter shit if WWJ has used them for years. And yes, I trust them. Does that mean I want the NWS gutted? Hell no because we need storm warnings.
Re: My apology to AccuWeather
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 9:23 pm
by Rate This
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 6:29 pm
They can’t be utter shit if WWJ has used them for years. And yes, I trust them. Does that mean I want the NWS gutted? Hell no because we need storm warnings.
Well yes we certainly do though NWS doesn’t do a great job with those at times.
Re: My apology to AccuWeather
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 10:10 pm
by MotorCityRadioFreak
Rate This wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 9:23 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 6:29 pm
They can’t be utter shit if WWJ has used them for years. And yes, I trust them. Does that mean I want the NWS gutted? Hell no because we need storm warnings.
Well yes we certainly do though NWS doesn’t do a great job with those at times.
The NWS has had lots of resources curtailed. It makes a difference in predictive models. Less people on staff, less analysis.
Re: My apology to AccuWeather
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 10:39 pm
by Rate This
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 10:10 pm
Rate This wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 9:23 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote: ↑Wed Sep 02, 2026 6:29 pm
They can’t be utter shit if WWJ has used them for years. And yes, I trust them. Does that mean I want the NWS gutted? Hell no because we need storm warnings.
Well yes we certainly do though NWS doesn’t do a great job with those at times.
The NWS has had lots of resources curtailed. It makes a difference in predictive models. Less people on staff, less analysis.
Also true. But surely there is someone on staff staring at the radar and not pulling the trigger when they should some of the times we’ve been taken by surprise around here.