Notice to all Buzzboard readers & posters: A requested server migration took place Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I did not re-point my DNS records to the new server until roughly 7:45p ET on Monday, November 12. As a result, any posts and new user registrations occurring between the nighttime hours of 11/10 and approximately 7:45p ET on Monday, 11/12 have been lost.

This was unavoidable, and the longer I waited to re-point to the new server, the greater the number of posts that would've been lost.

Please feel free to resubmit any threads / posts you created. They will NOT be lost this time! Many thanks for your patience these past couple of weeks while I've worked to migrate the Buzzboard to a more secure, more robust platform.

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace! Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

92.1 WIDL flips to Classic Rock as I-92

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
bmw

92.1 WIDL flips to Classic Rock as I-92

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:14 pm

A bit of a curious move, IMO. They actually sounded pretty good *Sound Quality issues aside* as an adult-leaning CHR. Played a decent variety of music that corporate stations wouldn't touch.

Sometime in the past few days they flipped to a Classic Rock format as I-92. What little bit I heard driving today sounded like they're targeting the same demo that listens to 102.1 WLEW.

As a fairly regular listener of the station I'm disappointed in the switch, and needless to say the station will be exiting my presets.

*Speaking of sound quality, nobody will be listening to them if they don't get their audio chain fixed. It sounds absolutely horrible and has so for at least half of a year now. I remember back last spring or early summer there was a high pitch noise that showed up in their audio, then they went off the air for a few days and when they came back on the high-pitch noise was gone but some strange digital artifacting was (and still is many months later) going on which seems even worse at night. Makes the station completely unlistenable much of the time. A few years back when they upgraded their output power for a brief time they sounded really good. Not sure what's up.

Milk

Re: 92.1 WIDL flips to Classic Rock as I-92

Post by Milk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:14 pm

I think they were known as I-92 in the 90s before flipping to Adult Top 40 as "The Coyote". I heard it a few times and wasn't impressed. I even heard that when he was a jock there, Tom Devitt constantly trolled this board and harassed people. He's at WKLT in TC now, sadly.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:17 pm

They just said when the wheels fall off and the cruise is too slow...listen to us :lol

BMW: Cruise 102 has plagued with technical problems too, severe hum and muting audio.
Last edited by audiophile on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:26 pm

audiophile wrote:They just said when the wheels fall off of cruise and they're going to slow...listen to us :lol
Even when they were Mix-92.1 they used to target Cruise 102, never by name but I remember them referring in one of their liners to them as a "tired, worn out" "mamby pamby" radio station.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Milk wrote:I think they were known as I-92 in the 90s before flipping to Adult Top 40 as "The Coyote". I heard it a few times and wasn't impressed. I even heard that when he was a jock there, Tom Devitt constantly trolled this board and harassed people. He's at WKLT in TC now, sadly.
Summer of 1999 according to Michiguide, a little before my time paying attention to radio. I do vaguely recall their stint as The Coyote. Mostly satellite fed programming from what I recall because they always had the same music at the same time as 107.7 The Bay which was fed by the same satellite, apparently.

I still don't really get the format shift. Maybe they gave up trying to compete with WIOG? I guess there's a bit of a format hole for classic rock in the thumb with only a couple of fringe signals (Wheelz to the west and WWTH (100.7 Oscoda) to the north), but again, if we're talking demographics, seems like now they're trying to compete directly with Cruise 102, which with their superior signal seems like not a good idea. If they wanted to skew older, they shoulda tried to emulate what WHNN was doing before their disaster of a format shift.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm

I wonder if WHNN's shift to the same format as Mix 92 was the reason for the format change.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Mix 92.1 and WHNN aren't even in the same ballpark as far as format - I'd say at most they had 20% of their respective playlists in common, if that. Mix 92.1 was much closer to WIOG with a sprinkle of 90s alternative on top and a bit more variety from the mid-2000s onwards.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Tuned in for a few minutes online when I first read this post this afternoon. They were LIVE (at least at that time) and not satellite fed. Were playing a song I'd never heard of, into Jethro Tull into Ted Nugent. Interesting...

Not an optimist or pestimist, but a realist on life

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:59 am

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:46 am

The station sounds cheap.

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 pm

bmw wrote:
Milk wrote:I think they were known as I-92 in the 90s before flipping to Adult Top 40 as "The Coyote". I heard it a few times and wasn't impressed. I even heard that when he was a jock there, Tom Devitt constantly trolled this board and harassed people. He's at WKLT in TC now, sadly.
Summer of 1999 according to Michiguide, a little before my time paying attention to radio. I do vaguely recall their stint as The Coyote. Mostly satellite fed programming from what I recall because they always had the same music at the same time as 107.7 The Bay which was fed by the same satellite, apparently.

I still don't really get the format shift. Maybe they gave up trying to compete with WIOG? I guess there's a bit of a format hole for classic rock in the thumb with only a couple of fringe signals (Wheelz to the west and WWTH (100.7 Oscoda) to the north), but again, if we're talking demographics, seems like now they're trying to compete directly with Cruise 102, which with their superior signal seems like not a good idea. If they wanted to skew older, they shoulda tried to emulate what WHNN was doing before their disaster of a format shift.
A pop classic hits format would have put them a little too close to their sister station WKYO, which covers '50s doo-wop to '70s disco (not unlike the way their sister station 99.9 The Wave in northeast Michigan sounded before it went on the bird). Unless they were to give it an '80s/'90s base a la The Fox up north, and Cruise 102 covers a lot of that music as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic