Notice to all Buzzboard readers & posters: A requested server migration took place Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I did not re-point my DNS records to the new server until roughly 7:45p ET on Monday, November 12. As a result, any posts and new user registrations occurring between the nighttime hours of 11/10 and approximately 7:45p ET on Monday, 11/12 have been lost.

This was unavoidable, and the longer I waited to re-point to the new server, the greater the number of posts that would've been lost.

Please feel free to resubmit any threads / posts you created. They will NOT be lost this time! Many thanks for your patience these past couple of weeks while I've worked to migrate the Buzzboard to a more secure, more robust platform.

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace! Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Superfetch

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Circle Seven

Superfetch

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:47 pm

What is Superfetch in Windows 8 and 10?
(thank goodness it wasn't in Windows 9).
What is bad about it?
Thanks.

Plate Cap

Re: Superfetch

Post by Plate Cap » Sun May 01, 2016 2:47 pm

A reasonable explanation is available here:

http://computertooslow.com/superfetch.asp

It's not terribly different than what is happening in your IOS or Android phone when you have multiple 'apps' open, albeit they are little more frugal with memory in the process.

Like all computing related options: it has it's place, is good in some situations and not so much in others. People need to know what the effects are if they invoke it (or perhaps more appropriately leave it enabled), and only a small number of computer users are expert enough to understand all the nuances. I don't see it as anything inherently 'bad' or 'good', and certainly nothing to get upset or emotional about. It's a tool. "Format (drive letter):" is a tool as well; very handy in some situations, disastrous in others.

There has to be some basic assumption that the computer is used by someone that has some idea of what is going on.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Tue May 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks Plate Cap.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Here's what I found:

--On my Windows 8 laptop, Superfetch is a disaster!!! Upon disabling it, everything on my laptop works 100x better.
--On my Windows 7 desktop PC, Superfetch improves system response time moderately.

I researched the topic heavily on various PC geek web sites; there is a varied range of opinions.

All I can say is based on my own experience, Superfetch does not play "nice" on Windows 8.

Thanks, corporate radio, for finally tossing Nickelback to the curb. Now can you please do the same for Shinedown? THEY SUCK!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic