Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Saturday Matinee w/ Baligian

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
RadioRat

Saturday Matinee w/ Baligian

Post by RadioRat » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Airs 4-6 every Saturday on 105.1. Anyone listen to it? It is exclusively a hockey show and features an eclectic mix of prep, USHL, the US NTDP and pro features. The same show had on the coach at Lawrence Tech (a club team I believe, definitely not NCAA) and an interview with Scotty Bowman. Segments on the show truly are polar opposites. The show has done a remote from the High School Hockey Showcase and will be doing one on the 26th from the Joe. I'd be curious to hear what other listeners think.

On a second order of business, it astounds me that the WCHA has not invited Baligian out to do this show from the Final Five Championship game on March 19th. Obviously conference playoffs are fluid but Tech, Ferris and Bowling Green all look like they have a great shot at making it. The tournament is held in Grand Rapids which means that attendance could be pretty darn good if the WCHA pushed hard. They sell tickets for two sessions and Van Andel seats around 11K...Tech has traveled well down here this season getting around 4K to East Lansing in November for a two game road series against MSU and probably had around 7K for the GLI in December. The Huskies should travel well and if the Bulldogs and Falcons join them I could see 8-9K fans being drawn from those three universities. Given the rosters of the schools (around 10 players from Metro Detroit for Ferris) and Tech has 3 including 2 NHL prospects it'd make sense to highlight Metro Detroit talent on the show.

Also, given the dumpster fire that is the Big Ten Conference, the new WCHA has a chance to cement itself as Michigan's college hockey conference. With 5 teams in the state and pretty good balance, its tournament should be a big deal even after the loss of heavyweights like Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota after realignment. Tech/Ferris is a much better game than Michigan/Wisconsin right now and that was born out last year when the B1G had their tournament in Detroit and no one came.

Compare watching Ohio State and MSU right now to a conference whose playoff championship pitted two top 5 teams last year. I know which one I'd prefer even if I wasn't a Tech grad. Bill Robertson is still stuck pushing a super tournament idea http://www.startribune.com/college-hock ... 370397531/ rather than tapping into Detroit to promote his tournament that is two hours away and filled with good reasons for metro Detroiters to go see it. The title game starts at 6 PM on Saturday, just as Saturday Matinee goes off the air, and it would seem to make all the sense in the world for the WCHA to tap into Baligian to drum up interest. Given Sean's history in GR and his familiarity with schools like Tech and Ferris from his job calling Wayne State football, this seems like an obvious match. I'm shocked no one in the league office in Edina, MN has made that call to start the promotion considering we are barely two weeks away.

sfpcc

Re: Saturday Matinee w/ Baligian

Post by sfpcc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:21 pm

[

. I know which one I'd prefer even if I wasn't a Tech grad.

I'm a Northern Michigan grad. I have a feeling that you have a better job than I do. I graduated in 1990. Northern Michigan won the NCAA championship in 1991 so I missed the fun, (I saw the game on ESPN in an apartment in Oregon.) Part of me wants to care about college hockey, but I really can't get into it as into much as say Football, (pro and college.)

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:31 am

Nice article on Tech and the WCHA in the Free Press yesterday.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /81419422/

Still think that if 105.1 can spend hours upon hours on the Horizon League tourney drawing 4-6K, some time on a hockey show on a subject the state's largest paper feels is feature worthy makes sense.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Not being much of a serious hockey fan I can't wrap my head around 2 hours of hockey talk on a Saturday afternoon.
I wonder how many people tune in?

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Probably nobody. Especially college and junior hockey.

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Normally I'd agree except that both the NFL and NBA drafts are seen as extremely weak this year. Pistons tried desperately to give away a first round pick for marginal players from Houston because they see nothing of value. You will eventually hear a lot of people suggesting the Lions trade down from 16 because there is value in the mid rounds but nothing sterling at the top of this year's football class.

College hockey is actually in a lot better shape from a talent perspective. It is dripping with NHL stars.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:11 pm

RadioRat wrote:Normally I'd agree except that both the NFL and NBA drafts are seen as extremely weak this year. Pistons tried desperately to give away a first round pick for marginal players from Houston because they see nothing of value. You will eventually hear a lot of people suggesting the Lions trade down from 16 because there is value in the mid rounds but nothing sterling at the top of this year's football class.

College hockey is actually in a lot better shape from a talent perspective. It is dripping with NHL stars.
As a Tech grad, you'll be happy to know you will be able to watch fellow alum Mel Pearson here in SE Michigan starting next year.

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:44 am

Ha! Pearson is locked up for 5 more years and makes more money than Red. Why exactly would he leave Tech for UM?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:06 pm

RadioRat wrote:Ha! Pearson is locked up for 5 more years and makes more money than Red. Why exactly would he leave Tech for UM?
Is this a serious question?

billmich

Post by billmich » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:34 pm

RadioRat wrote:Ha! Pearson is locked up for 5 more years and makes more money than Red. Why exactly would he leave Tech for UM?
Link to a source that he makes more than Red on a per year basis?

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:56 pm

http://www.mtu.edu/hr/docs/salaries.pdf

270K for Pearson

246K for Berenson

And that is nominal. Compare the cost of living in Houghton to Ann Arbor...Pearson probably makes close to 3x as much as Red on purchasing power basis.

billmich

Post by billmich » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:34 pm

RadioRat wrote:http://www.mtu.edu/hr/docs/salaries.pdf

270K for Pearson

246K for Berenson

And that is nominal. Compare the cost of living in Houghton to Ann Arbor...Pearson probably makes close to 3x as much as Red on purchasing power basis.
and there is just NO WAY poor ole U-M could ever win a salary bidding war with an athletic financial behemoth like MTU

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:54 pm

So you think they are going to pay Pearson more than Red? Doubtful...

billmich

Post by billmich » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:17 pm

RadioRat wrote:So you think they are going to pay Pearson more than Red? Doubtful...
Red has been giving U-M the "home school discount" for many many years.
This topic would be much better discussed on the USCHO board than on a Detroit media message board

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:10 pm

If I had a steady well paying job in the UP it would be very hard to get me to leave. Despite the snow the quality of life seems to be a lot better up there, (though quality of life is subjective.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic