All accepted registrations through December 9 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Ron Cameron In One Word:

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
313sports

Re: Ron Cameron In One Word:

Post by 313sports » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Another time Ron and Mark were discussing some people that were coming out to visit Mark. When Ron knew who it was, he asked Mark to make sure that he said that Ron Cameron from Detroit said hello. Does he think he's some megastar?

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 am

I like how jerk emeritus Cowboy, talking to Ron on Sunday, quoted back Ron’s own dubious assertion about Jim Price’s lifetime Tigers contract. You’re not in a good place if you’re relying on Ron as your authority.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:16 am

I honestly thought the interview with Roger Faulkner was damn good, not that Ron had anything to do with it! Faulkner was an entertaining, engaging listen, who didn’t allow Ron to run roughshod all over him. I think the best guests are the ones that “know what they’re getting into” and know what buffoonery may ensue from the host (judging by Faulkner’s chuckling over some of Ron’s bizarre ranting, he definitely knew what was up!) Faulkner has a lot of good tales to tell, a lot of history with soccer in the area and sounded very sharp for 80 years old!

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 am

I agree uncleb, I thought the interview with Roger was actually pretty interesting......up until Ron was spilling his guts telling Bob Page stories- so professional of him. Perhaps Mr. Positive can assist with Ron's extremely poor attitude towards his former friend. What do you say "Mr. Positive" ?

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:49 am

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 am
I agree uncleb, I thought the interview with Roger was actually pretty interesting......up until Ron was spilling his guts telling Bob Page stories- so professional of him. Perhaps Mr. Positive can assist with Ron's extremely poor attitude towards his former friend. What do you say "Mr. Positive" ?
Roger is a true pioneer of soccer in the state of Michigan and the United States, obviously why his input is still valued by US Soccer Federation. When Ron started that stupid stuff about Bob Page and Rob Parker and Bea Arthur and all, you knew the end of that interview was near. A real interviewer would have had plenty more to talk to Roger about. There is a great podcast available called Good Seats Still Available where the host has guests from defunct pro leagues and teams (and authors that have penned books about same) and literally all of the socccer-related guests are fantastic with great humor and great stories.

313sports

Post by 313sports » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:39 pm

Could you imagine what a real sharp interviewer could have done with this? Almost too good of a guest to be true for Ron. So as much as I liked Roger both times he's been on, I wish literally anyone else could've executed the interview.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Where can I listen to this guy??? Is it on the internet???

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Ron is on Saturday & Sunday, 5-7 pm (although he mentioned those hours will begin to vary soon due to WSU football) on WDTK, and you can listen live on its site. The site also includes a local podcast section that features Ron's most recent shows.
Looking forward to your take on Ron!

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 pm

And take that as proof positive, ahem, Mr. Positive, that we jerks here have contributed to doubling Ron's audience with the addition of Willie108 as a listener.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:58 pm

How is this thread even still alive?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:23 am

F-Squared wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:58 pm
How is this thread even still alive?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
People love to talk about what they hate about Ron. And they keep tuning in to find more to talk about. And Ron probably hasn't lost one millisecond of sleep over the criticism, as long as these people keep tuning in.

The same thing happened with Detroit Free Press columnist Bob Talbert. Many people (myself included) would read through his column until they found a reason to say "What an idiot!" and walk away with a superior feeling. And then the next day buy another copy of the Free Press.

313sports

Post by 313sports » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 am

I try not to make it personal. So most of my posts are on his on air performance. The bumbling and stumbling around are cringe worthy and so is the whispering. The age of most of his guests are mind blowing. There's so much to discuss.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Although Ron has said that Bob Talbert was a friend, the Freep archives reveal that, even in his short-lived radio heyday, Ron was viewed by Talbert with the same disdain as the jerks here.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I’m not gonna lie, I find most of 97.1 kinda boring these days and I actually look forward to listening to Ron’s podcasts every week (the actual weekly times that the show runs live are not doable by me, as they often interfere with work and a life!), it’s just sort of “Theater of The Bizarre”. It doesn’t make me feel “superior” to poke fun at his faults, but having a little knowledge of what kind of person he truly is (pretty repulsive, even after a very small dose) does make listening a little more must-hear! Ron’s a relic of a way-bygone era...one day he won’t be around to listen to anymore.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Thinking of Ron’s eventual demise - which I sincerely hope is long away - makes me think that his is a talent that won’t be appreciated until he’s gone. It’s only then that he’ll be inducted into the Michigan Sports HOF.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic