Page 42 of 44

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:28 pm
by Mega Hertz
windsor wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:48 pm Will Wheelz finally put Screamin Scott Randall in morn. drive???? Maybe his no compete is finally up from Beasley.
Idk, man. When I think Screamin' Scott, I don't think Queen and Journey. But that's just me. Bring in Screamin', tweak the playlist to mirror Turbo on Sirius XM, and leave the CSX stuff to CSX.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:14 am
by Realist
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:28 pm
windsor wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:48 pm Will Wheelz finally put Screamin Scott Randall in morn. drive???? Maybe his no compete is finally up from Beasley.
Idk, man. When I think Screamin' Scott, I don't think Queen and Journey. But that's just me. Bring in Screamin', tweak the playlist to mirror Turbo on Sirius XM, and leave the CSX stuff to CSX.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 pm
by windsor
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:28 pm
windsor wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:48 pm Will Wheelz finally put Screamin Scott Randall in morn. drive???? Maybe his no compete is finally up from Beasley.
Idk, man. When I think Screamin' Scott, I don't think Queen and Journey. But that's just me. Bring in Screamin', tweak the playlist to mirror Turbo on Sirius XM, and leave the CSX stuff to CSX.
Yes Mega, I agree with you , your not going to compete with CSX right now but chip away at Riff would be the idea.

Myself I would like to see a hybrid Turbo/Boneyard type format without the Anthrax or Motorhead, even though I love those bands on FM it wouldnt work imo.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:50 pm
by Mega Hertz
windsor wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 pm
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:28 pm
windsor wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:48 pm Will Wheelz finally put Screamin Scott Randall in morn. drive???? Maybe his no compete is finally up from Beasley.
Idk, man. When I think Screamin' Scott, I don't think Queen and Journey. But that's just me. Bring in Screamin', tweak the playlist to mirror Turbo on Sirius XM, and leave the CSX stuff to CSX.
Yes Mega, I agree with you , your not going to compete with CSX right now but chip away at Riff would be the idea.

Myself I would like to see a hybrid Turbo/Boneyard type format without the Anthrax or Motorhead, even though I love those bands on FM it wouldnt work imo.
Well, if you take the best of Boneyard with the more familiar stuff of Turbo, you might be on to something. I just can't imagine Screamin' breaking into Somebody To Love or Feelin' That Way.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:56 pm
by thatonedude
Mega and Windsor -- I'll gladly listen to a station like that. I listen to Turbo and Boneyard quite a bit...I wish a terrestrial station would take a look at their playlists and come up with something similar.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:34 pm
by stopnswop2
thatonedude wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:56 pm Mega and Windsor -- I'll gladly listen to a station like that. I listen to Turbo and Boneyard quite a bit...I wish a terrestrial station would take a look at their playlists and come up with something similar.
Are those SiriusFM stations?

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:07 pm
by windsor
Casey in the chair this morn, at least his delivery is a little more upbeat than Bill was.Bill used to put me to sleep on my drive into work most morn when I listened to Wheelz. Nothing against Bill McCalister, he's a talk radio guy not a rock jock.He needs to go to WJR or maybe metro traffic.

Wheelz wasnt to serious about morn drive even putting him there in the first place.Don't know why they didnt try Bill with Trudi, I think their banter could have been interesting with music in between.And VT mid days.My hunch is Casey will stay morn drive from nights and nights will just be VT\ed by Big Rig or someone else of Ihearts personalities that end up on air in many cities.Could be just another Iheart cost cutting move.

Still crossing my fingers for Screamin Scott anyway. :wink:

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:44 pm
by ChrisWL1980
RayQix wrote: ↑Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:51 am It’s rare that we listen to the terrestrial radio in the vehicle anymore, but it happens.

Usually it’s been 94.7 and yesterday flipping thru the stations happened to his 94.7HD2 which had Yellow Submarine on it by the Beatles.

The 7 year old says β€œthat’s one of my favorites” (no joke) and so we left it.

Beatles tunes have a strong life and it seems to carry to another generation.

What are the specifics on programming these HD2/3/4 stations, if any? Who are the stations listening to, if anyone?

WJR was once a Standard in my house..... I can honestly say I don’t know when I heard it for more than five min over the last ten years.....except to test the theory of β€œcan you hear them in Florida” which apparently you still can as of 2017.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the iHeart stations, it seems they just plug into a Premium Choice/iHeartRadio feed and let it run. The Detroit stations at least used to do local imaging; I don't think they even do that anymore except for TOH IDs. WNIC-HD2 is the only one of those I listen to for the blend of Soft AC gold 98.7 won't touch. WJLB and WKQI have no side channels (I used to enjoy both Funkytown on 97.9 HD2 and Feel Tha Funk on 95.5 HD2) and WMXD's and WLLZ's offer little one can't hear on traditional analog.

The only reason I bought an HD radio in the first place was to be able to hear smooth jazz again after V98.7 disappeared. At one time there were some interesting music formats being offered on HD2/HD3. Not so anymore. With a few exceptions like Sunny, V98.7, RIFF2, Channel Q and 104.3 HD3, as well as 94.7 HD2 which carries some of the DNA of the old 560 WHND/Honey Radio, the HD2s/HD3s have all become simulcasts of AM stations that (except for WWJ and WJR) no one listens to anyway, duplicate the same old tired playlists on the analog/terrestrial stations, or just exist to feed translators. No wonder no one gives a shit about HD radio.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:04 am
by Colonel Flagg
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:50 pm
windsor wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 pm
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:28 pm
windsor wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:48 pm Will Wheelz finally put Screamin Scott Randall in morn. drive???? Maybe his no compete is finally up from Beasley.
Idk, man. When I think Screamin' Scott, I don't think Queen and Journey. But that's just me. Bring in Screamin', tweak the playlist to mirror Turbo on Sirius XM, and leave the CSX stuff to CSX.
Yes Mega, I agree with you , your not going to compete with CSX right now but chip away at Riff would be the idea.

Myself I would like to see a hybrid Turbo/Boneyard type format without the Anthrax or Motorhead, even though I love those bands on FM it wouldnt work imo.
Well, if you take the best of Boneyard with the more familiar stuff of Turbo, you might be on to something. I just can't imagine Screamin' breaking into Somebody To Love or Feelin' That Way.
I don't know if you were around when 97-1 Extreme Radio existed, but it didn't work out very well. The audience was there, but it was too narrow. Sure, that audience is older now, but I have serious doubts about the results being much different.

We have to remember, the original Wheels played a lot of current music, in addition to classic rock. That's one glaring reason why the station sounds tired. Bryan Adams, and stale Journey songs are there to goose the female numbers (the original WLLZ had amazing ratings with women) but they are getting that wrong as well.

In every station IHM puts together around here, they seem to believe their audience is mostly blue collar factory workers, with little education. We fought that misconception hard, especially at WIOT (30+ years ago) and it worked. Why IHM comes in, and insists on "dumbing down" their radio stations is something I will never understand. But hey, I live outside of the Motor City, in flyover country, so who am I to question the execs in $3000 suits?

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:45 pm
by RayQix
Anyone paying attention to what we are asking for tho?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:16 pm
by Mega Hertz
Colonel Flagg wrote: ↑Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:04 am
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:50 pm
windsor wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 pm
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:28 pm
windsor wrote: ↑Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:48 pm Will Wheelz finally put Screamin Scott Randall in morn. drive???? Maybe his no compete is finally up from Beasley.
Idk, man. When I think Screamin' Scott, I don't think Queen and Journey. But that's just me. Bring in Screamin', tweak the playlist to mirror Turbo on Sirius XM, and leave the CSX stuff to CSX.
Yes Mega, I agree with you , your not going to compete with CSX right now but chip away at Riff would be the idea.

Myself I would like to see a hybrid Turbo/Boneyard type format without the Anthrax or Motorhead, even though I love those bands on FM it wouldnt work imo.
Well, if you take the best of Boneyard with the more familiar stuff of Turbo, you might be on to something. I just can't imagine Screamin' breaking into Somebody To Love or Feelin' That Way.
I don't know if you were around when 97-1 Extreme Radio existed, but it didn't work out very well. The audience was there, but it was too narrow. Sure, that audience is older now, but I have serious doubts about the results being much different.

We have to remember, the original Wheels played a lot of current music, in addition to classic rock. That's one glaring reason why the station sounds tired. Bryan Adams, and stale Journey songs are there to goose the female numbers (the original WLLZ had amazing ratings with women) but they are getting that wrong as well.

In every station IHM puts together around here, they seem to believe their audience is mostly blue collar factory workers, with little education. We fought that misconception hard, especially at WIOT (30+ years ago) and it worked. Why IHM comes in, and insists on "dumbing down" their radio stations is something I will never understand. But hey, I live outside of the Motor City, in flyover country, so who am I to question the execs in $3000 suits?
To answer your first question, yes, I was...however, it had two things working against it for me. One was, it didn't stand out well in a market that was over-rocked, though I think of it sort of as a "spiritual successor' to WLLZ or where they would have gone had they stayed at 98.7. Also, I didn't like Stern, and that would have been the same even if Drew & Mike weren't eating Stern's lunch.

I should mention I was NOT around for WLLZ's launch and heyday in the early 80s, but air checks survive.

K-Rock wasn't around long enough to make a serious impression on me. At that age, I leaned heavily into alternative rock, so my first choice was the Edge. Not to mention, at that time, youth listening habits were more into urban sounds; the late 90s were a terrible time for rock and rock radio. Your mainstream stuff was things like Limp Bizkit and the "industrial" metal sound. Me? I liked 3 guys, 3 chords, 3 minutes.

I did mention, however, that I think K-Rock was the last attempt at an Active Rock competitor to WRIF since then. Considering what passes for radio-friendly active rock is these days, I guess I understand why.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:33 am
by RayQix
If you can’t beat it... clone it.

Maybe someone needs to figure out the formula at WRIF and clone it to 89x

;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 am
by MotorCityRadioFreak
It will probably replace 93.9 for me. I was really hoping 93.9 would at least throw some indy stuff in like 93.9, but it looks like they are committed to top 40. 98.7 has already replaced 88.7. I listened to 10 minutes of that new country garbage, and they were right that I would hate it.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:10 pm
by RadioDork1
Anne Carlini on WLLZ tomorrow morning at 9.