Page 3 of 44
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 pm
by stopnswop2
At least most of them ended up at a better station.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:56 pm
by MrTaterSalad
Is Steve Black a full time employee of Beasly Media at WRIF? Do weekend jocks typically have contracts with non-compete clauses in them? If not, Black would be an excellent addition to the station.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 pm
by Mega Hertz
You know what, and I could be wrong (I usually am), but there's another reason why I'm excited about this, and it was touched on above. While I'm not always a fan of retreads, I feel like there could be more cohesiveness about this. Firing up with a brand fairly well known in this city (and actually uses the city's name in the branding), with very well known names, with a format that isn't necessarily the same ol' shuck and jive (which is debatable), it could be a lot more focused. As I said, I could be wrong, but just listening to WCSX of late, it didn't always feel like it was professional. Long breaks, some of which were rambling incoherently, about useless shit...incomplete thoughts, it just...Idk how to describe it. I just don't take the station as seriously as I did even when I was still there. There was a great stable of jocks, and even the weekenders/PT people felt like a cohesive unit. The likes of JJ, Savelly, Podell, Kostan, Buck, Doran, O'Leary, etc... Now it's like some kind of club that you, the listener, aren't in. Dahmer is just...ugh. It's like audio wallpaper. I really hope they knock this one out of the park. It's a great idea on paper. Let's see if it can come to fruition. I really feel Podell feels very confident in this gig. He's back in the PD chair, doing afternoons, on a format/branding where he really hit his stride in the 80s.
I hope I'm explaining this well enough. It feels like my thoughts are jumbled on it. But, I do know that this is in the hands of the right person. I've waited many, many years to hear those calls and branding again. WLLZ was the station that made me want to get into radio. We've kicked this idea around for years on this board. And here we are. This is the first time I've ever really been able to give iHeart a high five on a pretty good idea.
I joked about applying at The Breeze, but I think I may seriously consider sending Doug a resume and demo again. I believe that now, years later, having grown up, kicked the drugs and alcohol, getting things in order, instead of being some mouthy, stoned, egotistical 25 year old punk, maybe I could have another shot. Maybe, maybe not. But this may be something I have to take a shot at.
Best of luck, guys. I really hope this succeeds.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:01 pm
by Steve79
So what's the story with the call letters. Are they still WDTW FM? Also who has the WLLZ calls now?
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:00 pm
by Y M Ionhere
Its too early for me to judge the playlist, but im willing to give it a chance. Podell is a rock guy. He has real experience and knowledge in rock music amd knows a lot of artists personally. His speaking style may not be my thing but at least I feel like im getting a product from someone who lives it and believes in what he is selling. I dont want to buy a car from a guy who rides a bus. I dont want to buy a house from a realtor who rents. So I remain hopeful that im getting a rock station from people whose heart is in it and live what they sell.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:04 pm
by TVC_DX5678
Steve79 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:01 pm
So what's the story with the call letters. Are they still WDTW FM? Also who has the WLLZ calls now?
They were held by an LPTV station up here in TC until about a year ago, I think. So indeed they are available.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:08 pm
by Colonel Flagg
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:29 pm
Wheelz didn't even make it halfway thru the decade of the 90's, yet the decade most well represented during the first 90 minutes of 106.7 Detroit's Wheels (yes, they are spelling it without the "Z") is - the 90's!!!
This station sounds more like K-Rock circa 1997 music wise than it does Wheelz.
Point of order, MW. It was always "Wheels!" The Z was only in the call letters. The station you're thinking of is in Saginaw.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 pm
by CK-722
WLLZ-LP 12 Traverse City changed to WXII-LP 12 a while back, leaving the call letters up for grabs.
They were then parked on an FM in NC by AMFM.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 pm
by armchair pd
After a borrrrrring few years, we've had a lot of change the last few months eh?
An hour of listening and...meh. Music flow is decent, but the imaging is bland, and only heard 1 basic break from The Doc.
Is this another 106.7 two year throwaway flanker?
No clue at this point. But if you're challenging Riff and CSX, you can't half ass it.
I'll say unlike Nash, which was/is a train wreck that never had a chance from day one, and The Breeze, which feels like a cheap, thrown together flanker, this might be semi-legit.
WCSX has decent music flow and imaging, but jocks who have NO connection to the music, audience, and city they're in outside of morning drive. I've never heard Dahmer say one word about a song or even backsell one. His show prep is Fark.com.
They can be beat.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:00 pm
by CK-722
Confusing TOH ID. Said WDTW-FM Detroit. Then W L L Z Detroit, very slowly.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 pm
by RingtailedFox
the call-letters are still legally WDTW-FM, but... I believe they'll be changed in the very near term. A sister station of theirs in Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina currently has them.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:01 am
by D.j.m.
I want to give WLLZ a chance, but I'm in my 30s.
I'm worried that this station will still sound too old for me, and lord knows I'm not listening to 89x. Detroit rock stations seemingly can't last for more than two years, it seems, if they're not pumping out butt rock.
Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:29 am
by stopnswop2
Numb by Linkin Park played when I was in the car earlier
