All accepted new registrations through 11:59p ET on October 3 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron and SW Ontario
Deleted User 10525

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Deleted User 10525 »

98.7 was owned by Westinghouse at the time, For Modern rock, 89x was killing it, Planet 96.3 was doing ok , and WRIF was holding its own. Not to mention, 93.9 The River was making some inroads. Just one too many, ratings were meh.. I think the Wheelz name, in 1995 sounded like old hat. Smooth jazz was a hot format at the time. If WLLZ had stuck it out, 97.1 might have gone smooth jazz or by chance, 96.3 would have.
Deleted User 14935

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Deleted User 14935 »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:33 am What a fucking awful playlist. The music choices continue to be suck ass, and this station is still playing the exact same songs in the exact same order as 105.7 Columbus (and probably other stations, too).

My guess is very little effort will be put into the music, just like Fault 106.7 and the classic rock version of 106.7 The D before it.

For the record, I am supportive of this station playing Green Day. That band definitely characterizes the "NEW Generation of Classic Rock." Would be nice if 106.7 played more than just the same few songs by them, though.

My suggestion - either really embrace the "NEW Generation" mantra or stop the charade, ditch the slogan, and offer a traditional classic rock playlist. (Something akin to Flint's WRSR or Grand Rapids' WLAV would be nice.)
You’re spot on MW, This station needs direction and as of now has zero in that area, If it remains in the state that it’s in I give it 6 Months and IHeart will once again flip formats or sell it
Last edited by Deleted User 14935 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 14935

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Deleted User 14935 »

Let’s go back to 1980, 98.7 Just became WLLZ and sent WWWW Rock 106.7 packing, At the same time W4 was losing Howard Stern, W4 changed to Country due to WLLZ kicking W4’s ass and Detroit already had two other rockers with WRIF and WABX, W4 was the loser, Now that IHeart has 106.7 could it be that IHeart is pissing on the heritage call letters of WLLZ? And this is their way of doing it. Just a thought.
Mega Hertz
Posts: 4595
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Mega Hertz »

I have to expect something to happen soon. There's no way you revive a classic brand like Detroit's Wheels with Doug Podell and not hand him the keys.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop
Deleted User 14935

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Deleted User 14935 »

I sure hope so Son, I was part of WLLZ in 1980 and it puts tears in my eyes when I listen to what IHeart is doing with the WLLZ calls.
User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 1542
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Colonel Flagg »

Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 am I sure hope so Son, I was part of WLLZ in 1980 and it puts tears in my eyes when I listen to what IHeart is doing with the WLLZ calls.
How exactly were you "a part" of WLLZ in 1980?
"Nobody can get the truth out of me, because even I don't know what it is"
Deleted User 14935

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Deleted User 14935 »

I worked there.
Last edited by Deleted User 14935 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
windsor
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: In OZZy"s BoneYard.....

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by windsor »

Is it not true that the original WLLZ was #1 overall in their first book???
MrTaterSalad
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by MrTaterSalad »

What befuddles me about iHate is that they are willing to bring back heritage branding and calls on a dial that Wheelz and WLLZ were never not. Yet, when they tried to take on WYCD with the country format they refused to bring back W4 and WWWW-FM and instead opted for a rock station branding in the Fox with zero local on-air talent save for Robb Graham of all people.
Deleted User 14935

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Deleted User 14935 »

I do believe so, The first 3 months were Commerical Free, And that was W4’s endgame for rock. And WABX a little more than 2 years later went Top 40/ New Wave with New Music WABX In ‘83
Last edited by Deleted User 14935 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stopnswop2
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by stopnswop2 »

106.7 officially has the WLLZ call letters finally!

They swapped with the Spanish station that had them.
Music is my life.
User avatar
windsor
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: In OZZy"s BoneYard.....

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by windsor »

Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 pm I do believe so, The first 3 months were Commerical Free, And that was W4’s endgame for rock.
Thx Steve.........
Deleted User 14935

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by Deleted User 14935 »

If I was running the music at 106.7 I would not play anything any earlier than 1990 and not any later than 2010, That would truly be “The New Generation Of Classic Rock” Just my opinion.
User avatar
windsor
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Location: In OZZy"s BoneYard.....

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Unread post by windsor »

Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 pm If I was running the music at 106.7 I would not play anything any earlier than 1990 and not any later than 2010, That would truly be “The New Generation Of Classic Rock” Just my opinion.
I like this......The start of grunge to 2010.Alot of good tunes in that 20 yr span. That would fill a hole.

It doesnt sound like they rehearsed this station very long.The playlist sounds thrown together in a whim for a new cookie cutter sound for Iheart Detroit and a few other I heart cities.Since Alt has been dying a slow death.......

I think alot of lsiteners like myself are just sick of the same old GnR,BonJovi,Chili Peppers etc.Mixing in a few deeper cuts is needed but corporate cant see it.

Wheelz first book will tell alot............history wont be repeating itself imho.
Post Reply