Page 14 of 44

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 pm
by windsor
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm The landing, That was at the beginning of The Wheels 98.7 Era and yes I do remember it, I wasn’t at the actual landing I was just a weekend jock at the time and was working a second job, My First Wife was pregnant with our second child and actually I did 3 Jobs, WLLZ at the time was just a hobby for me in 1980 and I was full time at Farmer Jack and did a part time at Kinney Shoes in Sterling Hieghts at Utica Road And Van Dyke, So Wheels was a getaway from BS during the week.
Your the first person Ive ever talked to that remembers that.

I actually thought demetia was setting in for me.Every time Ive posted this in the past eyes glaze over.lol.

Only radio nutz would remember crap like this I guess.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:18 pm
by Deleted User 14935
windsor wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:09 pm
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm Those were great Albums back then, Like I said a lot of my good radio shit got lost through the years from moving so much, I think the only items I salvaged through all the kaos were all my radio shirts all 700+ and posters (Radio Stations and Rock’n Roll) and all my Albums autographed by Groups and Artists and I have a couple hundred of those.
You have some great keepsakes for sure. :D
Yes, I think I’ve got mostly Rock Station t-shirts from all the major markets tons of them from friends at the time in the biz, We used to swap them, When I worked at WXRT in Chicago I would send at least 20 shirts out to other jocks across the country that I knew and of course vise-versa, I still have a couple of the WXRT 93 Chicago’s Finest Rock shirts Navy Blue with Light Blue Logo Actually a very cool shirt. So yes I was able to salvage a ton of shit.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 pm
by Deleted User 14935
Did you work in the biz long?

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 pm
by windsor
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 pm Did you work in the biz long?
sorry if I mislead you, Ive never been in the biz, not that lucky, just a radio fanatic and rock music lover. :wink:

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:28 pm
by Deleted User 14935
That’s cool, You just never know on the board, I could be talking to Dick Puritan, But I’m glad that you have an interest in the business even if you weren’t able to get into radio, What do you do today?

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm
by windsor
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:28 pm That’s cool, You just never know on the board, I could be talking to Dick Puritan But I’m glad that you have an interest in the business even if you weren’t able to get into radio, What do you do today?
Im a supervisor in auto part manuf. and near retirement.

I often think of if I did get into radio like I dreamed I might not have made the income that I have now.But would have had alot more fun. :P

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:41 pm
by Deleted User 14935
You are correct Sir, In my situation it was always a glorified part-time job with tons of perks, Back in the 70’s and 80’s it was a great time for me anyway, If I didn’t get married at the young age of 20 back then, I could have any girl I wanted through the radio gigs, But today I’m sure it’s all different the business is now a business
It has become so competitive so the fun days of radio I would guess are not there, Just from what I hear with a few friends in the last days of their careers. I hope we will talk some more in the future. Great conversation Brother.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm
by Mega Hertz
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm The landing, That was at the beginning of The Wheels 98.7 Era and yes I do remember it, I wasn’t at the actual landing I was just a weekend jock at the time and was working a second job, My First Wife was pregnant with our second child and actually I did 3 Jobs, WLLZ at the time was just a hobby for me in 1980 and I was full time at Farmer Jack and did a part time at Kinney Shoes in Sterling Hieghts at Utica Road And Van Dyke, So Wheels was a getaway from BS during the week.
Holeeeeee shit. I grew up there. Had family that started off in the trailer park right behind that store. Next to 7-11, seconds from Jim Muir Pontiac.

What was the name of the other mini mart right there? Something about an owl?

A Total right across the street. And a KFC. My God, the memories. Kinney Shoes. Wow.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:41 am
by Deleted User 14935
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm The landing, That was at the beginning of The Wheels 98.7 Era and yes I do remember it, I wasn’t at the actual landing I was just a weekend jock at the time and was working a second job, My First Wife was pregnant with our second child and actually I did 3 Jobs, WLLZ at the time was just a hobby for me in 1980 and I was full time at Farmer Jack and did a part time at Kinney Shoes in Sterling Hieghts at Utica Road And Van Dyke, So Wheels was a getaway from BS during the week.
Holeeeeee shit. I grew up there. Had family that started off in the trailer park right behind that store. Next to 7-11, seconds from Jim Muir Pontiac.

What was the name of the other mini mart right there? Something about an owl?

A Total right across the street. And a KFC. My God, the memories. Kinney Shoes. Wow.
You might be referring to the Riverland Shopping Center, There was a Kroger, And a Drug store, and can’t forget the Apollo Coney Island which is still in business, Nick Sr. Passed away sometime ago the son is running the coney today. And yes, I remember the trailer park it was called Sterling Estates, My brother lived there for a while in the 80’s.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am
by Mega Hertz
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:41 am
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm The landing, That was at the beginning of The Wheels 98.7 Era and yes I do remember it, I wasn’t at the actual landing I was just a weekend jock at the time and was working a second job, My First Wife was pregnant with our second child and actually I did 3 Jobs, WLLZ at the time was just a hobby for me in 1980 and I was full time at Farmer Jack and did a part time at Kinney Shoes in Sterling Hieghts at Utica Road And Van Dyke, So Wheels was a getaway from BS during the week.
Holeeeeee shit. I grew up there. Had family that started off in the trailer park right behind that store. Next to 7-11, seconds from Jim Muir Pontiac.

What was the name of the other mini mart right there? Something about an owl?

A Total right across the street. And a KFC. My God, the memories. Kinney Shoes. Wow.
You might be referring to the Riverland Shopping Center, There was a Kroger, And a Drug store, and can’t forget the Apollo Coney Island which is still in business, Nick Sr. Passed away sometime ago the son is running the coney today. And yes, I remember the trailer park it was called Sterling Estates, My brother lived there for a while in the 80’s.
That would be the time frame. I remember one aunt that lived on Normandy and later another one that lived off Orleans. That was the area of my misspent youth. I used to partake in some of nature's finest and go to the Speedway right on Riverland and Van Dyke. Lived down Clinton River off Gainsley for a while. It brings to mind the saying of "If I could have just one more day...".

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:32 am
by Deleted User 14935
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:41 am
Mega Hertz wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm
Steve Korvette wrote: ↑Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm The landing, That was at the beginning of The Wheels 98.7 Era and yes I do remember it, I wasn’t at the actual landing I was just a weekend jock at the time and was working a second job, My First Wife was pregnant with our second child and actually I did 3 Jobs, WLLZ at the time was just a hobby for me in 1980 and I was full time at Farmer Jack and did a part time at Kinney Shoes in Sterling Hieghts at Utica Road And Van Dyke, So Wheels was a getaway from BS during the week.
Holeeeeee shit. I grew up there. Had family that started off in the trailer park right behind that store. Next to 7-11, seconds from Jim Muir Pontiac.

What was the name of the other mini mart right there? Something about an owl?

A Total right across the street. And a KFC. My God, the memories. Kinney Shoes. Wow.
You might be referring to the Riverland Shopping Center, There was a Kroger, And a Drug store, and can’t forget the Apollo Coney Island which is still in business, Nick Sr. Passed away sometime ago the son is running the coney today. And yes, I remember the trailer park it was called Sterling Estates, My brother lived there for a while in the 80’s.
That would be the time frame. I remember one aunt that lived on Normandy and later another one that lived off Orleans. That was the area of my misspent youth. I used to partake in some of nature's finest and go to the Speedway right on Riverland and Van Dyke. Lived down Clinton River off Gainsley for a while. It brings to mind the saying of "If I could have just one more day...".
My Brother Lived in Sterling Estates during the 80’s, And told me about some girl getting murdered that lived in that trailer park it happened in ‘87, Her boyfriend killed her with a hammer, I guess she was divorced and met this guy and he moved in with her and shortly after killed her. That sounded like a rough place to live from some of the stories my brother told me about during that time.

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 pm
by borderboy653659200
The Rockets are a criminally underrated group. ' Can't Sleep," I Want You To Want Me," among others ,should have propelled Jimmy McCarty and the boys to the top rung of Motor City rockers .

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 pm
by BKRPDM
It’s pathetic that they won’t let Podell program this. It’d sound more local. I’ll give them credit for getting him, Trudi, Bill....

Re: 106.7 WLLZ: Detroit's Wheels (Classic Rock) is here

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:32 pm
by Deleted User 14935
It’s the state of broadcasting today, Sad but true, That’s why I listen to AM for my News, Talk and Sports and occasionally Oldies 580 that’s it.