Page 2 of 7
98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:04 pm
by thatonedude
MW — Unfortunately, I have to agree. I’m underwhelmed by what I’ve heard so far, but I'm (barely) hopeful that they fix it up. Not holding my breath.
Waiting for the announcement of the Woody Show any day now...

Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:22 pm
by MotorCityRadioFreak
I feel like us 30 somethings got the bird from Detroit radio today. Fuck 2020!
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm
by radioandtventhusiast
They're using the exact same branding as 106.7 did when they had alternative.
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:49 pm
by Mega Hertz
Well, fuck.
Okay, I'm happy there's rock on 98.7 again. So there's that.
Great sweeper: "We know you wouldn't wanna be hanging out with your X after what they did to you" was cool.
Look, keep away from the majority of snowflake alt rock, keep the older stuff. I've heard Sublime, Lit, Blink 182, whatever, but keep a 90s or so flavor to it. If you want a 1.4 share, fine, play it.
Yes, us Xennials got the middle finger today.
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 pm
by stopnswop2
Ya, because the last station to try this did soooo well!
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 pm
by radioandtventhusiast
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 pm
Hey, let's replicate a failed station that lasted 18 months and earned a 1.6 share! Great idea!
98.7 dumping AC is a senseless move.
Do the morons at Entercom actually think this is a substitute for 89X? There is almost nothing in common playlist wise.
89X was only a true alt from 2015 to 2017 and earned horrendous ratings during that stretch. Prior to that, you have to go way back to the 90s.
This seems almost very similar to ALT 106.7. It's alternative in name only.
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm
by Colonel Flagg
It's hardly a secret that "alternative" is David Field's favorite format. This directive undoubtedly came down from the top, coupled with, I am sure, budgetary shenanigans.
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:25 pm
by MotorCityRadioFreak
I find it ironic that the SiriusXM free listening starts today until December 1st. Almost like these execs are tanking on purpose?
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:37 pm
by MrTaterSalad
Entercom should move Chadd and Kristy over 99.5 WYCD to replace the current voice tracked afternoon drive show. They won't though.
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:43 pm
by armchair pd
Good luck selling alternative in this market. It was an uphill battle before Covid.
98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:48 pm
by thatonedude
Calling it now: it flips to something else in the next three to six months. If this were a harder-edged alt, which, as Mega said would be probably ‘90s centric, I would listen. As it is now? Absolutely not.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: 98.7 Alternative!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:51 pm
by MotorCityRadioFreak
thatonedude wrote: ↑Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:48 pm
Calling it now: it flips to something else in the next three to six months. If this were a harder-edged alt, which, as Mega said would be probably ‘90s centric, I would listen. As it is now? Absolutely not.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Switchfoot and the "Stacey's mom" song just played. Probably, but still better than country or Virgin Radio.