Page 8 of 9
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:46 pm
by km1125
He's absolutely right. Thought about that as soon as I saw Whitmer and Slotkin up on stage right after the shooting. NO REASON for either of them to be there, except campaigning.
I didn't see Bouchard's national appearance, but if he was talking about the facts of the case I don't have a problem with that either. I think he's been available to all the local media any time they needed to get info from him.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:47 pm
by km1125
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:28 pm
Ever hear of liability insurance?
The school district absolutely deserves to be sued, and those who suffered tremendously because of the district's negligence deserve some form of compensation for loss of life.
Who pays the premiums on that liability insurance? Do you seriously think they have $100M in liability insurance? If they don't, and the judgement exceeds that, who pays?
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:19 pm
by Bobbert
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:38 am
by Mr.Transistor
So Fieger brings the first lawsuit -100 million for a girl that got shot in the neck and her sibling who witnessed it. So that is what her trauma is worth. What is the pricetag on the victims lives and families? Also, Fieger named all of the Oxford HS teachers on the lawsuit. So now teachers are also to blame for school shootings. We've already got teachers leaving the profession in droves, let's target them for this. I get liability insurance but I would think that caps out at some point.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:30 pm
by Herm
Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:38 am
So Fieger brings the first lawsuit -100 million for a girl that got shot in the neck and her sibling who witnessed it. So that is what her trauma is worth. What is the pricetag on the victims lives and families? Also, Fieger named all of the Oxford HS teachers on the lawsuit. So now teachers are also to blame for school shootings. We've already got teachers leaving the profession in droves, let's target them for this. I get liability insurance but I would think that caps out at some point.
One of the administrators named in the lawsuit doesn’t work at the school anymore. Was the teacher who was shot also named in the lawsuit?
I agree that the school system is liable, maybe even criminally, but naming teachers in this lawsuit is just wrong.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:11 pm
by Mr.Transistor
Herm wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:38 am
So Fieger brings the first lawsuit -100 million for a girl that got shot in the neck and her sibling who witnessed it. So that is what her trauma is worth. What is the pricetag on the victims lives and families? Also, Fieger named all of the Oxford HS teachers on the lawsuit. So now teachers are also to blame for school shootings. We've already got teachers leaving the profession in droves, let's target them for this. I get liability insurance but I would think that caps out at some point.
One of the administrators named in the lawsuit doesn’t work at the school anymore. Was the teacher who was shot also named in the lawsuit?
I agree that the school system is liable, maybe even criminally, but naming teachers in this lawsuit is just wrong.
I had heard thru someone who teaches in the district it was all teachers however perhaps that is just talk. The Washington Post had said people named in the lawsuit are: "The lawsuit names the Oxford school district, Superintendent Tim Throne, Oxford High School Principal Steven Wolf, the dean of students, two counselors, two teachers and a staff member."
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:25 pm
by Deleted User 15716
Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:11 pm
I had heard thru someone who teaches in the district it was all teachers however perhaps that is just talk. The Washington Post had said people named in the lawsuit are: "The lawsuit names the Oxford school district, Superintendent Tim Throne, Oxford High School Principal Steven Wolf, the dean of students, two counselors, two teachers and a staff member."
I think it's winnable if Fieger does a little homework. I know two kids who have been expelled. One for just talking about bringing a knife to school. Another for talking about hurting someone. And in both cases, the parents (obviously) didn't have a say on whether the kid stays or goes. If Geoffrey looks into the policies and past disciplinary actions at other school districts, I think Oxford is going to be raiding the piggy bank.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:36 pm
by km1125
Joie Vivre wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:25 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:11 pm
I had heard thru someone who teaches in the district it was all teachers however perhaps that is just talk. The Washington Post had said people named in the lawsuit are: "The lawsuit names the Oxford school district, Superintendent Tim Throne, Oxford High School Principal Steven Wolf, the dean of students, two counselors, two teachers and a staff member."
I think it's winnable if Fieger does a little homework. I know two kids who have been expelled. One for just talking about bringing a knife to school. Another for talking about hurting someone. And in both cases, the parents (obviously) didn't have a say on whether the kid stays or goes. If Geoffrey looks into the policies and past disciplinary actions at other school districts, I think Oxford is going to be raiding the piggy bank.
I doubt there is any kind of "piggy bank" to be had in Oxford.
Feiger is just victimizing the entire community to line his pockets. Wonder how much of the eventual settlement ends up in HIS pockets, and ALL of that will be paid for by either the community in Oxford, or by the State when the school system gets bailed out.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:37 pm
by Deleted User 15716
km1125 wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:36 pm
Feiger is just victimizing the entire community to line his pockets. Wonder how much of the eventual settlement ends up in HIS pockets, and ALL of that will be paid for by either the community in Oxford, or by the State when the school system gets bailed out.
He gets a third of the settlement. Same thing Mike Morse, The Bernstein's and every other "no fee unless we win" barrister gets.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:50 pm
by SixPlusOne
craig11152 wrote: ↑Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 amI think a solution is a law requiring a gun owner to be directly responsible for his gun and anything bad that happens with that gun in the hands of a minor.
Violators of the law don't care about any laws on the books. Their goal has already been demonstrated many times. You can draft all the restrictive laws you can think of for Michigan and the law breaker can just find some other avenue to obtain the weapon they want. Chicago has some of the strictest guns laws in the nation and has some of the highest crime rates in the nation.
We walk through devices at the airport and we can put them in the school. You and I may not like that idea but I have seen hundreds of weapons of all types in boxes that have been acquired with this process at the airports. I have heard parents state that they feel that it would be tragic to have these detectors in the schools. Which is more tragic to the parents -- to bury their kids or have detectors in the schools.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:16 pm
by Circle Seven
SixPlusOne wrote: ↑Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:50 pm
We walk through devices at the airport and we can put them in the school. You and I may not like that idea but I have seen hundreds of weapons of all types in boxes that have been acquired with this process at the airports. I have heard parents state that they feel that it would be tragic to have these detectors in the schools. Which is more tragic to the parents -- to bury their kids or have detectors in the schools.[/color][/b]
I can personally attest that the screening at Detroit Metro has room for improvement. I had to do a quick trip to Charlotte NC.
Pulled some fishing stuff of a small duffel bag, and put in just a change of clothes and undies.
Got to where I was going and found I had missed removing a knife with a 5" blade that was stuck in an inside pocket of the bag.
So did the bag screener at Metro.
Re: Oxford High School shooting
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:57 pm
by Rate This
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:20 pm
I agree 100 percent with SixPlusOne.
That said, Circle Seven is also right. The metal detector screening process isn't perfect. (Great anecdotal story, by the way.)
A comprehensive approach is required.
Or a culture change in society. Never mind… this is America. We don’t do anything that’s too hard. There is a lot of blame to go around for the gun problem. A large part of it is gun makers scaring people into getting a gun for protection along with a media that distorts reality to make it sound juicier. If you’ve ever been to a house fire or a murder scene it’s really not that interesting. Watch the news and it becomes the next worst thing to the apocalypse.