All accepted new registrations through 11:00p ET on September 26 have been activated. Accepted new registrations in the queue are activated on a weekly basis each Saturday. Terms of use are available here: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

Thank you!

WCXI Cool1160

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron and SW Ontario
Casey
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2026 3:08 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by Casey »

hb2 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 12:18 pm
Casey wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 11:50 am
Steve79 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 11:36 am
Casey wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 7:38 am Both WCAR and WCXI are useless at night in Northern Macomb County. WCAR not so good during the day. WCXI is excellent during daylight hours.Translators will be the answer for some type of reliable good coverage in certain areas.
98.3 and 99.9. If the price is right Beasley would sell. I would say 93.5 but I'm sure they make more money with the ethnic programming than classic hits.
Also 99.1 in Shelby Township. I believe Smile owns that one. Some type of a deal was made with Beasley in order to have Smile on WCSX HD 3.
Beasley sold 93.5 to Birach a few months ago for them to translate WNZK. Yes Smile FM owns 99.1

Hear me out-
If anything I would if I was Birach I would try to acquire something from EMF like the Air1106.3 translator, that one would likely be good for WCAR or WCXI. Distance may be a problem and it may need to move to be compliant.

Or do a exchange with Relevant Radio's WKEG and the 4 translators for either WCXI or WCAR (or a full on purchase) and shift one of those 2 (WCXI or WCAR) to WKEG and the 4 translators and give WPON a better signal on either 1160 or 1090 and dump 1460 outright.
Keep 1460 put all ethnic programs on WPON 24/7 and move WNZK to 1090. Move Oldies from WCAR to 680/690. Problem solved no translators needed.
"Playing What We Want" www.jack.fm
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

Apologies for being argumentative here, but where do you think all the revenue is going to come from to support mainstream English language music on AM radio? Have you noticed the dearth of paid advertising on CKWW?

WNZK probably generates the most revenue of all their local stations by a wide margin. Screwing with that would be foolish.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
edj
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:54 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by edj »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:26 pm Apologies for being argumentative here, but where do you think all the revenue is going to come from to support mainstream English language music on AM radio? Have you noticed the dearth of paid advertising on CKWW?

WNZK probably generates the most revenue of all their local stations by a wide margin. Screwing with that would be foolish.
That’s why WNZK got the translator, not their other AMs. They were losing business to CINA in Windsor and had to compete.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

Bingo.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
Casey
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2026 3:08 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by Casey »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 11:30 pmBingo.
WNZK needs to obtain a full power FM. Until, if and when that happens CINA will always have a large portion of the market.
"Playing What We Want" www.jack.fm
User avatar
CD 94.7
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:39 am
Location: 94.7fm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by CD 94.7 »

Probably a dumb question but legally could WNZK hypothetically broadcast on the non-commercial band as their format is brokered?

I don't see them getting a full power FM signal, but you never know.
You can visit Pity City, but you can't live there.
Casey
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2026 3:08 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by Casey »

CD 94.7 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 12:00 pm Probably a dumb question but legally could WNZK hypothetically broadcast on the non-commercial band as their format is brokered?

I don't see them getting a full power FM signal, but you never know.
They have commercials so the answer is no.
"Playing What We Want" www.jack.fm
hb2
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 3:52 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by hb2 »

WNZK is Birach's biggest and most consistent (by signal area, not frequency) Detroit AM, comparable to several other AM stations in Detroit. I could not see them divesting or shutting down that signal before one of their other area AM's

I would bet they would love to move WPON 1460 to *anything* bigger than what it is currently if they had a station they could put it on.

While writing the above, I did recall WDFN 1130 of iHeartmedia, the mostly forgotten AM of IHM Detroit. I still don't understand why they don't simulcast it ( the B.I.N.) on an HD2 of any of their FM's around here.

If that or also WXYT 1270 of Audacy were divested to Birach those are 2 big footprint AM's with minimally listened to programming ratings-wise. I did check the recent Nielsen ratings and was mighty surprised that WDFN actually got a 0.1 share in August '26 and not 0 for the first time since May '26 (everything else was blank/ 0's). Those 2 signals could be revived under new ownership.
edj
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:54 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by edj »

WDFN is weak in Macomb County and western Oakland/Livingston at night due to protecting WBBR New York, among others. 1270 has a null in NW Oakland. That’s part of the reason why they’re just clearance for national networks with zero local.

Birach rebuilt WPON not that long ago on land they own. 1130 or 1270 would be an upgrade, but also a higher electric bill and more land (or rent). If they can somehow diplex from Milford Township, expect a much weaker signal, perhaps to where it’s not worth it.

If they own the WNZK site, perhaps that could be used to diplex.
MWmetalhead
Posts: 5692
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:59 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by MWmetalhead »

AM radio is on death's doorstep. The days of 1130 or 1270 being relevant have long since passed. Those stations will never score more than a 0.3 or 0.4 share regardless of format. Both 1130 and 1270 have terrible nighttime signals.
Flock Cameras violate the Fourth Amendment, are prone to inaccuracy, are prone to misuse, and are prone to hacking.

Mike Rogers is a whore for big pharma.
stopnswop2
Posts: 3284
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by stopnswop2 »

MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:48 pm AM radio is on death's doorstep. The days of 1130 or 1270 being relevant have long since passed. Those stations will never score more than a 0.3 or 0.4 share regardless of format. Both 1130 and 1270 have terrible nighttime signals.
I doubt anyone under the age of 60 even regularly scans the AM dial
Music is my life.
Casey
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2026 3:08 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by Casey »

stopnswop2 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:11 am
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:48 pm AM radio is on death's doorstep. The days of 1130 or 1270 being relevant have long since passed. Those stations will never score more than a 0.3 or 0.4 share regardless of format. Both 1130 and 1270 have terrible nighttime signals.
I doubt anyone under the age of 60 even regularly scans the AM dial
I’m 71 and heavily into internet radio. AM is only scanned to see how bad it’s becoming. As I have mentioned before I give AM 5 years or so. The land that most AM stations towers are on is worth more money than the station itself is. Birach needs to seriously find a way to purchase the next available FM in Detroit and sell or shutdown all AM stations and sell the land that houses the towers.
"Playing What We Want" www.jack.fm
hb2
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 3:52 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by hb2 »

Casey wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:13 am
stopnswop2 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:11 am
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:48 pm AM radio is on death's doorstep. The days of 1130 or 1270 being relevant have long since passed. Those stations will never score more than a 0.3 or 0.4 share regardless of format. Both 1130 and 1270 have terrible nighttime signals.
I doubt anyone under the age of 60 even regularly scans the AM dial
I’m 71 and heavily into internet radio. AM is only scanned to see how bad it’s becoming. As I have mentioned before I give AM 5 years or so. The land that most AM stations towers are on is worth more money than the station itself is. Birach needs to seriously find a way to purchase the next available FM in Detroit and sell or shutdown all AM stations and sell the land that houses the towers.
I think Birach's only way of truly surviving in the long run and really compete with the big guys is to start phasing out their AM stations and replacing them with full power FM's. They need to get out of the stone age quick as looking at their website and station list they don't have a single full power FM station in their posession. Not being on FM (locally aside from WNZK's new 93.5 translator) means most people have no clue they even exist.

I'm sure in this market if they can obtain a full power commercial FM, with IBOC, they could effectively use it to replace one AM station, shut it down, and simulcast the other 3 on the HD-2,3,4 channels and wait and see if something else opens up, and repeat the process until all of their AM's are gone. I would say *if* that happened they would possibly move the ethnic format of WNZK to FM and move one of the other 3 stations to 690/680 for a better AM signal and shutter one of the others.
Casey
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2026 3:08 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by Casey »

hb2 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:21 am
Casey wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:13 am
stopnswop2 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:11 am
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:48 pm AM radio is on death's doorstep. The days of 1130 or 1270 being relevant have long since passed. Those stations will never score more than a 0.3 or 0.4 share regardless of format. Both 1130 and 1270 have terrible nighttime signals.
I doubt anyone under the age of 60 even regularly scans the AM dial
I’m 71 and heavily into internet radio. AM is only scanned to see how bad it’s becoming. As I have mentioned before I give AM 5 years or so. The land that most AM stations towers are on is worth more money than the station itself is. Birach needs to seriously find a way to purchase the next available FM in Detroit and sell or shutdown all AM stations and sell the land that houses the towers.
I think Birach's only way of truly surviving in the long run and really compete with the big guys is to start phasing out their AM stations and replacing them with full power FM's. They need to get out of the stone age quick as looking at their website and station list they don't have a single full power FM station in their posession. Not being on FM (locally aside from WNZK's new 93.5 translator) means most people have no clue they even exist.

I'm sure in this market if they can obtain a full power commercial FM, with IBOC, they could effectively use it to replace one AM station, shut it down, and simulcast the other 3 on the HD-2,3,4 channels and wait and see if something else opens up, and repeat the process until all of their AM's are gone. I would say *if* that happened they would possibly move the ethnic format of WNZK to FM and move one of the other 3 stations to 690/680 for a better AM signal and shutter one of the others.
There is no way Birach can ever afford 4 full power FM's one at best is doable, Birach is not iHeart. The one that would end on FM would be WNZK. Can you truly imagine how much money would be needed to obtain 4 FM's in Detroit? Also how much money is actually being lost on these AM stations? I bet they're hemorrhaging.
"Playing What We Want" www.jack.fm
hb2
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2025 3:52 pm

Re: WCXI Cool1160

Unread post by hb2 »

Casey wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:10 am
hb2 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:21 am
Casey wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:13 am
stopnswop2 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:11 am
MWmetalhead wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:48 pm AM radio is on death's doorstep. The days of 1130 or 1270 being relevant have long since passed. Those stations will never score more than a 0.3 or 0.4 share regardless of format. Both 1130 and 1270 have terrible nighttime signals.
I doubt anyone under the age of 60 even regularly scans the AM dial
I’m 71 and heavily into internet radio. AM is only scanned to see how bad it’s becoming. As I have mentioned before I give AM 5 years or so. The land that most AM stations towers are on is worth more money than the station itself is. Birach needs to seriously find a way to purchase the next available FM in Detroit and sell or shutdown all AM stations and sell the land that houses the towers.
I think Birach's only way of truly surviving in the long run and really compete with the big guys is to start phasing out their AM stations and replacing them with full power FM's. They need to get out of the stone age quick as looking at their website and station list they don't have a single full power FM station in their posession. Not being on FM (locally aside from WNZK's new 93.5 translator) means most people have no clue they even exist.

I'm sure in this market if they can obtain a full power commercial FM, with IBOC, they could effectively use it to replace one AM station, shut it down, and simulcast the other 3 on the HD-2,3,4 channels and wait and see if something else opens up, and repeat the process until all of their AM's are gone. I would say *if* that happened they would possibly move the ethnic format of WNZK to FM and move one of the other 3 stations to 690/680 for a better AM signal and shutter one of the others.
There is no way Birach can ever afford 4 full power FM's one at best is doable, Birach is not iHeart. The one that would end on FM would be WNZK. Can you truly imagine how much money would be needed to obtain 4 FM's in Detroit? Also how much money is actually being lost on these AM stations? I bet they're hemorrhaging.
I brought that up in the essence of it being a pipedream for Birach to have all their stations be full power FM's. It would literally come down to a full blown corporate collapse and unraveling of Audacy/Cumulus/iHeart/etc with dispersion of all of their assets for several full power FM's to become available around here (and just how high could the price tag be?). Being in a top 15 market with tight gripped corporate conglomerates and cross border frequencies makes that vision of all FM's quite near impossible.

I agree with Casey:They may very likely only ever get one FM station here and there's no guarantee that one would open up, not to mention if one did that they could even be able to pay for it. I recall the small 93.5 translator W228CJ and the $450,000 price tag on it. A full power FM here would be well into millions.

I know HD-2's won't generate much revenue but used as a repeater they may help open the door for some spotty translator usage (if one became available or another filing window occurs) and have the translator be for the HD2 signal and not the AM originating station, since I believe somewhere in the rules there are restrictive rules on AM with FM translator separation distance and also for coverage. A move like that could generate listenership but in my opinion they really should do that and FM translators for the most options areawide. At least get on analog FM in more places (via cookie cutter translators) if absolutely nothing else.

Likewise with WFDF and WOMC HD2, it at least gets your foot in the door of being on a full power FM. Yes you need a special reciever to pick it up (which most people don't have) but you get 24/7 consistent areawide coverage.

W292DK 106.3 broadcasting Air1 is probably the best translator in SE Michigan/Detroit Metro area for widespread translator coverage without being tied to an existing AM station (W224CC 92.7 , W232CA 94.3 came to mind regarding this point) but I quite highly doubt K-Love/ EMF will want to let it go easily or at all without Air1 being on the analog FM band.
Post Reply