Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:49 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:11 am
It's too bad the Free Press instituted its no readers comments policy the start of this month. I would have liked to have seen the response to its story about Ron.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 406356007/
A link to the story was posted on the Free Press Facebook page, but there has been little response (one sad face emoji, no comments).

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:53 am

Kinda funny, I have a few random alerts set on my phone that were used through the years to remind me to listen to SportsTalk, never deleted most of them but due to Ron’s transient nature, they seem to pop at different times on the weekend!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:55 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:44 am
Thanks, Bobbert. I did see that post, but for some reason confused that with something Mark Wilson might have contributed.
I did check Roger's FB page to see if he said anything else, but he just posted a link to Rich Kincaide's FB post.
Last edited by Bobbert on Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:59 am

Nothing yet in the newspaper obituary listings.

https://www.detroitnews.com/obituaries

https://www.freep.com/obituaries

Nothing yet in the Detroit News. I'm hoping that Ted Kulfan writes a humorous piece about Ron. He seemed to get a lot of chuckles from Ron's life story. Then Ted's conscience can rest easy, knowing that he finally fulfilled his promise to Ron to write about him.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:02 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:29 pm
George Eichorn had many nice things to say about Ron today on X
I'm not on X, so it's hit or miss for me on that site (for example, I'm able to see some of Bob Page's posts ... or at least his responses to others). I can't see what George posted. Or, I should add, what his domineering wife allowed him to post.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:09 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:59 am
Nothing yet in the newspaper obituary listings.

https://www.detroitnews.com/obituaries

https://www.freep.com/obituaries

Nothing yet in the Detroit News. I'm hoping that Ted Kulfan writes a humorous piece about Ron. He seemed to get a lot of chuckles from Ron's life story. Then Ted's conscience can rest easy, knowing that he finally fulfilled his promise to Ron to write about him.
Yeah, a friend's mother died this week & the family didn't submit an obituary. (As Ron would lament, things have changed ... & not for the better.) So, especially with Ron's family situation, I wasn't expecting a death notice in the paper. Since the papers came under the control of the Detroit Media Partnership, the death notices are the same for each paper. Even the layout of the death notices is the same each day in both papers.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:19 am

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:02 am
radiofan1974 wrote:
I'm not on X, so it's hit or miss for me on that site (for example, I'm able to see some of Bob Page's posts ... or at least his responses to others). I can't see what George posted. Or, I should add, what his domineering wife allowed him to post.
Ron's death has triggered a wild flood of Twitter comments from Page. Some that really jump out:

2/22
A very TOUGH life, Frank! Never knew his dad, thrown out of the house by his bitch mother at 15 to fend for himself on the streets of Detroit! He never ATTENDED a day of high school. No matter what anyone thought of Ron Cameron, it was amazing what he was still able 2 accomplish!
Ronnie owned SO many greasy spoon diners, dive bars & "restaurants" in his 79 years that even I can't recall all the ones he dragged me to, Rob!!! I think 3 months was the max time he ever "owned" one before moving on to the next "great deal."
2/23
Ron had no respect for Dale [Conquest], called him "Milquetoast Conquest." I didn't care; asked Dale on our show. Ron STORMS into our studio: "Who's the guest today?!" I finally told him. HE YELLS, "MILQUETOAST CONQUEST?!" In walks Dale behind him THAT moment!
2/24
Whenever Ron & I went anywhere for lunch/dinner, a cute, innocent, young gal would ask, "Would you gentlemen like smoking or non-smoking?"

Ron: AWAY FROM THE GARBAGE! AWAY FROM THE GARBAGE!
Me (girl almost in tears): Just tell them "non-smoking," you idiot!
NOW even my ex-NY/NJ girlfriend Audrey is reading all this stuff about Ron Cameron! Why? I took her back to Detroit a number of times. At least once I dragged her to a taping of Ron's radio show when I was the guest. She laughed her butt off at the whole thing!
You guys shoulda seen Ron Cameron's various apartments over the many years. I once opened his front closet in Dearborn and it was completely crammed with old newspapers, the top stack of which fell right on my HEAD!
Last edited by Bobbert on Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:33 am

NOW even my ex-NY/NJ girlfriend Audrey is reading all this stuff about Ron Cameron! Why? I took her back to Detroit a number of times. At least once I dragged her to a taping of Ron's radio show when I was the guest. She laughed her butt off at the whole thing!

Was Audrey the famous "teeny bopper girlfriend" that Ron so often mentioned?

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:35 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:19 am
Momo wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
Ron's death has triggered a wild flood of FB comments from Page. Some that really jump out:

2/22
A very TOUGH life, Frank! Never knew his dad, thrown out of the house by his bitch mother at 15 to fend for himself on the streets of Detroit! He never ATTENDED a day of high school. No matter what anyone thought of Ron Cameron, it was amazing what he was still able 2 accomplish!
Ronnie owned SO many greasy spoon diners, dive bars & "restaurants" in his 79 years that even I can't recall all the ones he dragged me to, Rob!!! I think 3 months was the max time he ever "owned" one before moving on to the next "great deal."
2/23
Ron had no respect for Dale [Conquest], called him "Milquetoast Conquest." I didn't care; asked Dale on our show. Ron STORMS into our studio: "Who's the guest today?!" I finally told him. HE YELLS, "MILQUETOAST CONQUEST?!" In walks Dale behind him THAT moment!
2/24
Whenever Ron & I went anywhere for lunch/dinner, a cute, innocent, young gal would ask, "Would you gentlemen like smoking or non-smoking?"

You guys shoulda seen Ron Cameron's various apartments over the many years. I once opened his front closet in Dearborn and it was completely crammed with old newspapers, the top stack of which fell right on my HEAD!
Thanks, that's some great stuff!

I remember being surprised once when Ron uttered the word, "Milquetoast." I didn't think that would be in his wheelhouse.

At least Ron didn't bellow, "When you smoke, you croak."

Audrey could've been a Buzzboard poster.

Ron sounded like he could have been a candidate for the Hoarders show.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:36 am

Dan in Northville wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:33 am

I don't think so, Ron would say Bob was now married to the ex-teeny bopper.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:41 am

Bobbert wrote:
Ron's death has triggered a wild flood of FB comments from Page. Some that really jump out:
Bob's memory of the three-month maximum life of Ron's restaurants coincides with mine.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:00 pm

Ron kept stacks of newspapers in his closet, yet, holding on to a phone number for more than a day was too tough of a task.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:44 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:35 am
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:

2/22
2/23
2/24

Thanks, that's some great stuff!

I remember being surprised once when Ron uttered the word, "Milquetoast." I didn't think that would be in his wheelhouse.

At least Ron didn't bellow, "When you smoke, you croak."

Audrey could've been a Buzzboard poster.

Ron sounded like he could have been a candidate for the Hoarders show.
Those Page quotes were from X, not Facebook.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:01 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:33 am

Wondered the same as I read this

mmb5

Post by mmb5 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:25 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:01 am
I remember a few years back when a 75ish Ron had former Wing & later successful restaurateur Bugsy Watson as a guest. Of course, Ron, who turned every "interview" into an episode of "This is Your Life," with him as the subject, had to talk about HIS career in restaurants & his then-intention to open a new one. Barely concealing his laughter, Watson asked, "How old are you?!"
I had a chance to eat at Watson's restaurant when it was in its "higher class" stage, the kind of place with tablecloths, indoor/outdoor seating, etc. He even came by and talked to the patrons. I can't imagine Ron doing that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic