Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Weather reporting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: Weather reporting

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:39 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:36 pm
This is one of least-accurate months for weather forecasting I've ever seen up my way. Multiple times when the forecast has been "Mostly Sunny" with the percent chance of rain in the low-single-digits, we've gotten dumped on. Other times they really play up the rain, 100% chance of up to an inch, and we don't get a drop.
Yeah, what's up with that? It seems it's just been a funky ass weather year all the way around.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:35 pm
I'm not impressed by Ron Hilliard at WDIV or Marissa at WXYZ. Both are still calling for max air temps in the low 90s today pretty much everywhere.

Not...gonna...happen! Lots of debris clouds and smoke around. The smoke is pretty high in the sky today, so air quality shouldn't be too bad.

TWC just lowered it's predicted high temp for my neighborhood from 91 to 85. That's probably about right. I'm thinking top temp will be 86 or 87 here. Temp actually fell by a degree here within the last 30 minutes.
Metro reached 88. I had 93 in pure sunshine in Mt. Pleasant around 6pm. It got HOT from Lansing to about Clare.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:10 am

Yup. Areas along and north of 69, or along and north of 96 if we are talking west of Lansing, were not impacted by long lived debris clouds during the midday hours today.

I am unsure what the smoke conditions were like up that way.

Metro did not reach 88 until the 6PM hour, I believe.

It very briefly reached 88 in my locale around 4PM.

I don't know if there was a single official reporting station that reached 90 at all this week in Metro Detroit despite the mainstream media bemoaning heat wave conditions.

I didn't see any heat indices warmer than 95 today locally. Flint did have a 96 heat index at one point. So, the predictions of widespread heat indices near 100 for this afternoon were B.S.

Correctly, the local NWS did not issue any heat advisory.

Severe T'Storm Watch now in effect along and west of 127. I think this is mainly a heavy rain and lightning threat for that region. Any wind damage should be isolated. I do expect the complex to weaken a bit, perhaps substantially, by the time it gets this far east. I will say I am surprised there is no T'Storm Warning in effect for the area just south of South Haven. Definite downburst threat there per radar data.

Update - the cell I just mentioned now has a warning on it.

Update #2 - if a tornado were to occur tonight, I think the highest potential is very near the state line and also in the Flint and Lapeer regions. EF-0 or low end EF-1.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:10 am

Rainfall totals are going to be a complete nothing burger for Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor.

Kudos to Fox 2 for getting it right!

Gigantic thumbs down to WXYZ for its embarrassing inaccuracy when it came to not only yesterday's high temps but also last night and this morning's rainfall totals.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:27 am

I was up in Goodrich yesterday evening and ran into a major downpour. Five miles south, absolutely nothing. Very odd.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:06 am

Most areas in SE Michigan saw less than a half inch of rain overnight last night, yet Dave Rexroth was talking as if a biblical flood was going to hit our region.

Much heavier totals in western lower Michigan, just like I said would be the case. Some pockets in central Michigan (such as Midland) also saw quite a bit of rainfall.

https://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/State ... x?state=MI

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:50 am

Five internet dollars if anyone can guess what it's doing in Seattle---erm, Brighton...
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:50 pm

I'm glad you're OK and good luck ZenithCKLW.

It was pretty heavy this morning in Toledo but the storms stopped probably at 4 AM.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:06 am
Most areas in SE Michigan saw less than a half inch of rain overnight last night, yet Dave Rexroth was talking as if a biblical flood was going to hit our region.

Much heavier totals in western lower Michigan, just like I said would be the case. Some pockets in central Michigan (such as Midland) also saw quite a bit of rainfall.

https://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/State ... x?state=MI
Was he building an ark? :blink
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:16 pm

Here in Sarnia we had a torrential downpour that overflowed the storms sewers on Friday afternoon. Roads and parking lots were flooded. That was the third Severe Storm to make its way into the city limits in the past month.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:26 pm

Was he building an ark? :blink
He has a habit of blowing most upcoming rain storms and snow storms out of proportion.

I think I may have to start calling him Delusional Dave.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:10 am
Rainfall totals are going to be a complete nothing burger for Metro Detroit and Ann Arbor.

Kudos to Fox 2 for getting it right!

Gigantic thumbs down to WXYZ for its embarrassing inaccuracy when it came to not only yesterday's high temps but also last night and this morning's rainfall totals.
To be fair, a lot of this is on the NWS who predicted 1-2" of rain.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:46 pm

They had a forecast graphic on their web site that showed 1 to 1.5 inches in most areas, which indeed proved to be overdone in the case of Metro Detroit. Usually, predictions within that range would not trigger a Flood Watch unless winter issues were in play.

I suspect the Flood Watch was primarily issued out of concern for a high leverage situation unfolding in flood prone Detroit and Dearborn, despite the risk itself being fairly low. The official SPC flooding outlook showed only a slight flooding risk across the region (they now issue a flood outlook with the same categories as the severe weather outlook). A couple of the high resolution rapid refresh models were showing small stripes or pockets of potential 2+ inch totals with highly uncertain placement. Others were keeping those totals far away from the heart of the metro with a half inch or less across most of SE Michigan. Those model runs, for the most part, proved accurate.

Rexroth was talking up the heavy rain threat much more than the NWS.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:46 pm
They had a forecast graphic on their web site that showed 1 to 1.5 inches in most areas, which indeed proved to be overdone in the case of Metro Detroit. Usually, predictions within that range would not trigger a Flood Watch unless winter issues were in play.

I suspect the Flood Watch was primarily issued out of concern for a high leverage situation unfolding in flood prone Detroit and Dearborn, despite the risk itself being fairly low. The official SPC flooding outlook showed only a slight flooding risk across the region (they now issue a flood outlook with the same categories as the severe weather outlook). A couple of the high resolution rapid refresh models were showing small stripes or pockets of potential 2+ inch totals with highly uncertain placement. Others were keeping those totals far away from the heart of the metro with a half inch or less across most of SE Michigan. Those model runs, for the most part, proved accurate.

Rexroth was talking up the heavy rain threat much more than the NWS.
The concern was for training of the thunderstorm activity and a given area that saw such an effect would get the high totals. Where that might happen is impossible to say hence the watch and the blanket statements.

jsf

Post by jsf » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:24 pm

To top off weather talk I turn on Channel 7 Saturday evening and who's doing the weather but Chris Edwards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic