Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Majik

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Majik » Wed May 03, 2023 9:28 pm

edj wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:26 pm
@CameronSportsTk

Hi Friend, Spent a lot of time in Farmington Hills. The staff was nice. They even saved a parking spot for me. Took a tour of the studios, and I could have my choice of stations. A few more meetings this week. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for your support!

Ron's a hot commodity. Maybe 1400 made a mistake voiding his agreement.
Maybe Ron is destined to return to the air.
It is the will of Landru
Peace be with you, friend.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 04, 2023 7:48 am

"The very idea" that Ron has an array of choices regarding his return to the airwaves sounds eerily like all the restaurant options he's talked about over the years. Let's hope Ron’s decision on where he’s next taking his talents isn’t as similarly drawn out.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Thu May 04, 2023 9:20 am

Ron's Twitter account has apparently disappeared.

edj

Post by edj » Thu May 04, 2023 10:00 am

ShempLives wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:20 am
Perhaps Martin blocked you. I can still access it.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Thu May 04, 2023 10:07 am

ShempLives wrote:
and so has Ron .Good riddance.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 04, 2023 10:10 am

Where have you gone, Alex? Ron nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Thu May 04, 2023 10:20 am

I don't have a Twitter account. I normally searched "Ron Cameron WDTK" on Google and the link for his Twitter emanations would appear. Today the link led nowhere.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 04, 2023 10:27 am

It warms my heart to see how the Ron Cameron Buzzboard community has pulled together in this time of crisis. Comments from far and wide, both regular and occasional participants. If Ron's status as a cultural icon had not been validated by Chris Ilitch and Bill Ford, Jr., this week's outpouring of concern on the Buzzboard would have done the trick.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 04, 2023 10:28 am

edj wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:00 am
ShempLives wrote:
Perhaps Martin blocked you. I can still access it.
I can see it too.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 04, 2023 10:33 am

Momo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:48 am
"The very idea" that Ron has an array of choices regarding his return to the airwaves sounds eerily like all the restaurant options he's talked about over the years. Let's hope Ron’s decision on where he’s next taking his talents isn’t as similarly drawn out.
It's interesting to think about how often Ron has had to "turn on a dime" to take the next step in his pinball machine career. He's definitely a hustler, and tries to get the upper hand in any situation, including the public perception of what's going on. There's some part of him that thrives on living on the edge.

I know I've said this before, but times like this help remind me of my main reason for following Ron—to see how he navigates the chaotic and crazy life that he's created for himself.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 04, 2023 10:37 am

Momo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:10 am
Where have you gone, Alex? Ron nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
I'm guessing that Alex is keeping a low profile during this latest flare-up. Ron's kind of toxic right now, and Alex is smart not to let it rub off on him.

Alex could do wonders for Ron if they teamed up again. But Alex sounds committed to his insurance career, which is probably a smart move.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 04, 2023 10:46 am

Momo wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:46 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:40 am
Midweek Memories

Sunday, May 21, 2017 (Hour 2)

Interview with former University of Detroit baseball coach and Philly Whiz Kid Bob Miller.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... Miller.mp3
This hour delivers yet another "What are you doing here?" moment, along with one of the most shocking moments of Ron's life.

Alex introduces the guest as the former baseball coach at the University of Detroit, only to be checked by Ron. "And Phillies Whiz Kid, Bob Miller!" Ron immediately turns the "interview" into a Jim Price-bashing concern, asking Bob if he had followed-through on Ron's request that he do research on what a "Yellowhammer" was. Followed-up with talk of both a "Buggywhip" & a "keyhole." At the end of the hour, Alex reminded him of another Priceism, "arsenal." "That's when you go to a fire," a confused Ron thought.

Ron quickly went to another of his hobby horses, baseball players lifting weights. Bob said it wasn't allowed in his day, with the only exception being Bob Feller. Although Feller just happens to be Ron's choice of the best-ever pitcher, Ron was silent at the mention of him in this context

Ron asked Bob what was the most money he ever made in a year ($19,000).

Talk turns to a former MLBer, Wyandotte's Bob Kuzava (a guest on Ron's show), who died earlier in the week. Ron said he never met him, but considered him a friend. He "said a lot of good things about me."

Bob gives a shout-out to friends of his son who were listening & with whom he was going to lunch the next day. You "never invite me to lunch, Bob," Ron complained.

Scoop reminded his guest that when he was last on the show he had broken some news. Bob had then said there were only three Whiz Kids left. "Not any more," Ron recounted the big reveal, telling him that Putsy Caballero had recently passed away.

Bob mentioned that the Philadelphia Inquirer had contacted him & Curt Simmons, the last remaining Whiz Kids, for a story about them. For whatever reason, that article didn't come out until August 2021 (& reprinted later that year when Bob died)

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/whiz- ... 00829.html

Ron told a story - unrelated to his guest - that happened when he owned a radio station in Bradenton, the spring training site of the Pirates. Once he came upon Chuck Tanner, then a trainer for Pittsburgh. Crowds swarmed him. You "can't get a word in." Ron, though, sat next to him & they talked for a couple of minutes. The next year, on the opening day of the exhibition season, Ron sees Tanner. He sensed that Tanner wouldn't remember him, but was hoping his face would be familiar. Ron approaches, says, "Chuck," & Tanner says, "Hi Ron." Ron says, "I'm thinking. He remembered me!" Ron added, "And he knows thousands of people there in Bradenton." This exchange "shocked" Ron. "One of the most shocking moments of my life that he remembered my name." To buttress this point, Ron reiterated, "I only met him once before, talking to him for a couple of minutes." As an aside, I can only wonder how the events of the last few days rate in terms of shocking moments in Ron's life.

Ron brings up Dave DeBusschere, who was a U-D senior - declining to pitch, likely for draft reasons - the first season that Miller coached there. Ever the traveling man, Ron was in Long Beach with his team, the Strikers, watching Cory Lidle pitch while he & Cory's twin, Kevin, were in a bar. He gets a call from Bob Page informing him of DeBusschere's sudden death. "Oh my goodness. What a man." Miller agrees with Ron that he would've liked to coach DeBusschere.

Ron then adds that he saw DeBusschere pitch pro ball. He took a bus to Indianapolis. Another man gets onboard, sees Ron & says, "What are you doing here?" The man, a former trainer for both the White Sox & the Bulls, told Ron he was the trainer in Indianapolis. No word on whether the two "just laughed."

Ron also said that Chico Fernandez played then for that Indianopolis team. He reminded his guest that Fernandez had been on his show the previous year, only to die two weeks later.

Ron milked the unrelated talk of DeBusschere for one more factoid. That the White Sox could protect only two pitchers, so they protected DeBusschere & Bruce Howard, while leaving Denny McLain available for the Tigers to select him off waivers.
I got a kick out of the sarcastic comments at the beginning from both Ron and Bob about Jim Price's cliches. "What's a buggywhip?" asked Ron, to which Bob replied, "I think it's something that John Wayne used in his movies."

There was an interesting variation on the standard "What are you doing here?" line—"Are you still alive?" I'd guess that both lines have been used this past week during Ron's station search.

That tiki bar party that Bob's son Patrick set up by the lake sounded like a wild time, with guests named "Tommy and Sonny."

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 04, 2023 11:01 am

^ I forgot to add that Ron promised that his overdue restaurant announcement would be in one week.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu May 04, 2023 11:58 am

This seems like a good time to return to the very beginning of this thread (under another name) in 2013:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180114165 ... =3&t=38513

One of the posts includes what I consider to be one of the defining comments about Ron:

"To meet Ron C. is to have personal issues with him."

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 04, 2023 12:19 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:58 am
This seems like a good time to return to the very beginning of this thread (under another name) in 2013:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180114165 ... =3&t=38513

One of the posts includes what I consider to be one of the defining comments about Ron:

"To meet Ron C. is to have personal issues with him."
Wow, the first several pages of the old thread, thought forever lost to history! Untold generations, yet unborn, will be thanking you, Bobbert, for your collections as they, along with historians, study Ron at the Ron Cameron Excellence in Brokered Broadcasting Library & Museum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic