Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

107.7 KWXS dumps CHR For Standards

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Deleted User 15835

107.7 KWXS dumps CHR For Standards

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon May 01, 2023 2:07 pm

This is very odd to me but I hope it's successful honestly, with the lack of anything different these days on the radio.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2516 ... d-in-bend/

radioandtventhusiast

Re: 107.7 KWXS dumps CHR For Standards

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon May 01, 2023 2:16 pm

It's odd to me. Radio always wants to skew younger to please advertisers, so to go from a format that targets a young audience to one that will likely be unable to get many under 60 is interesting. Then again, this is a small company, although the CHR had decent ratings.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed May 03, 2023 12:10 am

It's getting less and less attractive to be the #2 (or lower) hit music station with the CHR demos abandoning radio. That said, it does surprise me that they chose Adult Standards, though the Local Radio Networks format sounds great. I would have expected some kind of AC.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 07, 2023 12:40 am

The mature demographic is one that shouldn't be ignored. Most of us are financially secure with mortgages paid off and no kids to support. We have money to spend on ourselves.

Come and get it from us.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun May 07, 2023 9:47 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:40 am
The mature demographic is one that shouldn't be ignored. Most of us are financially secure with mortgages paid off and no kids to support. We have money to spend on ourselves.

Come and get it from us.
While that's true, CHR is a real rut. The product isn't very good. There was a time when CHR was so varied, you could have up to THREE stations competing, one of which was generally in the top 2 or 3 rated stations. I can remember WDRQ and WKQI really going at it for a few years. Not that AMP 98.7 was any great shakes, but WKQI was a stalwart. We now have one CHR station that generally languishes middle of the pack (a month or so ago, being #1 in the beauty pageant was a shock). Most listeners who are in the target demo stream or download. Yet people my age, who are in that supposed "sweet spot" don't have much. The CHR/Top 40 format just isn't what is was 20 years ago and many years before that.

It would only make sense to court those folks that still use radios on a consistent basis and who still kinda care about such things.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue May 09, 2023 7:05 am

I really enjoy listening to this station online. Wish we had a station like this here!

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed May 17, 2023 11:20 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:47 pm
Most listeners who are in the target demo stream or download... The CHR/Top 40 format just isn't what is was 20 years ago and many years before that.
That, and the national broadcasters care more about cutting staff, cramming more commercials in, and promoting music the consultants feel the listeners would love, just so they can try to make a profit. iHeart and Audacy are known offenders of caring less about the listener and more about the almighty dollar. (Audacy, by the way, had its NYSE trading suspended recently, as it was frequently trading too low.)

KWSX is owned by a local broadcaster. Radio in local hands can be successful, if done right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic