Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
1alexalway

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by 1alexalway » Thu May 12, 2022 6:54 pm

Majik wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:10 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:45 am
Don't know if this has ever been posted here:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-alway-252883112/

There's some interesting omissions in the Experience section. :)
I can see not wanting his time with RC being linked to his real life career.

Hey wait a minute. Could there be a link between this and the infamous Scrooge Insurance Company? Bobbert, you may have uncovered some real insurancegate info here.
If Ron got the idea about a fake insurance company to drum up calls due to me working in the industry that would be the most bizzare reasoning ever. I only put my full time professional work on there as to my omission of the show.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 12, 2022 7:34 pm

Alex, I don't know when Ron stated reading his "insurance company" questions, but I know he did throughout the '10s (probably before the two of you met), until the practice ended in 2019.

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu May 12, 2022 8:41 pm

1alexalway wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:54 pm
Majik wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

Hey wait a minute. Could there be a link between this and the infamous Scrooge Insurance Company? Bobbert, you may have uncovered some real insurancegate info here.
If Ron got the idea about a fake insurance company to drum up calls due to me working in the industry that would be the most bizzare reasoning ever. I only put my full time professional work on there as to my omission of the show.
Alex, when I clicked the link and saw an insurance company, I seized the opportunity to poke a little fun at Ron, although the words Cameron and bizzare do go together. I think we all know that stuff predates your involvement with Cameron Enterprises.

1alexalway

Post by 1alexalway » Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 pm

Majik wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:41 pm
1alexalway wrote:
Majik wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

Alex, when I clicked the link and saw an insurance company, I seized the opportunity to poke a little fun at Ron, although the words Cameron and bizzare do go together. I think we all know that stuff predates your involvement with Cameron Enterprises.

Out of all the businesses he could use, it is funny that my career and his choice of faux business intersect no doubt.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri May 13, 2022 4:45 pm

A Ron "favorite," Bea Arthur, was born 100 years ago today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bea_Arthur

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri May 13, 2022 6:31 pm

1alexalway wrote:
Majik wrote:
Bobbert wrote:

You do have a talent for sports talk analysis on the radio. The Skills section of LinkedIn has a Radio Communication skill.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri May 13, 2022 6:44 pm

The reviews are rolling in for Hello Everybody!, the satirical musical comedy about Detroit sports talk legend Ron Cameron that recently opened on Broadway.

Here is a collection of quotations that have been carefully curated by the publicity team for the show, as they take a break from their anonymous duties maintaining Ron's Twitter feed. The highlighted text will be used in display advertising.
  • "You'd have to be A VERY desperate person to spend GOOD money on this SHOW!" - New York Times
  • "An AWESOMELY AMAZING waste of time!" - New York Daily News
  • "EVERYTHING YOU'D EVER WANT TO SEE in a train wreck!" - New York Post
  • "I COULDN'T BELIEVE THE INCREDIBLE lack of QUALITY IN THIS SHOW!" - Newsday
  • "The only bigger fool than RON CAMERON IS the person who thinks that this show is about A GREAT RADIO STAR!" - Brooklyn Daily Eagle
  • "A very embarrassing SHOW that will make you run FOR THE exit with a word-of-mouth message of warning for your friends and your WHOLE FAMILY!" - Detroit News
  • "YOU'LL CLAP YOUR HANDS over your eyes and ears AT THE wretched ACTING AND SINGING!" - Detroit Free Press
  • "A MAGNIFICENT TRIBUTE TO THE FIRST SPORTS TALK RADIO HOST IN DETROIT AND THE LONGEST RUNNING RADIO TALK SHOW HOST IN BROADCASTING HISTORY!" - Sport Fans' Journal (Still going strong!)

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri May 13, 2022 6:58 pm

Can you imagine being a fly on the wall at this meeting??

Ron (storming into the program director's office): I WANT PRIME TIME AFTERNOONS...NOW!!!!!

P.D.: We can't do that. We have shows under contract to run in afternoon drive.

Ron" I DON'T CARE!!!! Tear up those contracts!!!!

P.D.: We can't, they'll sue us.

Ron: I DON'T CARE!!! You tell them they'll have to deal with THE MIGHTY RON CAMERON!!! THE...SPORTS...TALK RADIO...LEGEND. I'm not some hick from the sticks!! I have Perry Mason on retainer!!!

P.D.: Do you know what a law suit might cost us???

Ron: I DON'T CARE!!! I'm the only reason this stations get ratings. My four listeners that jam up the phone lines are the only reason this station gets any listenership. I run this station....you DON'T!!!!

Ron: in addition, I want billboards with my picture on them every 3 miles on I-696, I-96, I-94, I-75, and US 23!!!!!!

P.D.: We can't do that.....do you know what billboards cost???

Ron: I DON'T CARE. I AM THE SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND. Ron them stomps out of the office slamming the door.

P.D.: Pulls out the bottle of Tylenol out of this desk and takes 4 of them. Now he's got a real migraine.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri May 13, 2022 8:42 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:44 pm
The reviews are rolling in for Hello Everybody!, the satirical musical comedy about Detroit sports talk legend Ron Cameron that recently opened on Broadway.

Here is a collection of quotations that have been carefully curated by the publicity team for the show, as they take a break from their anonymous duties maintaining Ron's Twitter feed. The highlighted text will be used in display advertising.
  • "You'd have to be A VERY desperate person to spend GOOD money on this SHOW!" - New York Times
  • "The only bigger fool than RON CAMERON IS the person who thinks that this show is about A GREAT RADIO STAR!" - Brooklyn Daily Eagle
  • "A very embarrassing SHOW that will make you run FOR THE exit with a word-of-mouth message of warning for your friends and your WHOLE FAMILY!" - Detroit News
  • "YOU'LL CLAP YOUR HANDS over your eyes and ears AT THE wretched ACTING AND SINGING!" - Detroit Free Press
  • "A MAGNIFICENT TRIBUTE TO THE FIRST SPORTS TALK RADIO HOST IN DETROIT AND THE LONGEST RUNNING RADIO TALK SHOW HOST IN BROADCASTING HISTORY!" - Sport Fans' Journal (Still going strong!)
We should never have opened directly on Broadway, Bobbert. Oh well, after a rewrite to somehow make Ron a more sympathetic protagonist, with a redemptive arc, along with some new songs from the Brill Building, we can relaunch this off-off Broadway. Like maybe in Allen Park.

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri May 13, 2022 9:41 pm

Momo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:42 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:44 pm

We should never have opened directly on Broadway, Bobbert. Oh well, after a rewrite to somehow make Ron a more sympathetic protagonist, with a redemptive arc, along with some new songs from the Brill Building, we can relaunch this off-off Broadway. Like maybe in Allen Park.
The old Empress Theatre on Woodward may have been a good spot for the Cameron Follies.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat May 14, 2022 8:38 am

Willie108 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:58 pm
Can you imagine being a fly on the wall at this meeting??

Ron (storming into the program director's office): I WANT PRIME TIME AFTERNOONS...NOW!!!!!

P.D.: We can't do that. We have shows under contract to run in afternoon drive.

Ron" I DON'T CARE!!!! Tear up those contracts!!!!

P.D.: We can't, they'll sue us.

Ron: I DON'T CARE!!! You tell them they'll have to deal with THE MIGHTY RON CAMERON!!! THE...SPORTS...TALK RADIO...LEGEND. I'm not some hick from the sticks!! I have Perry Mason on retainer!!!

P.D.: Do you know what a law suit might cost us???

Ron: I DON'T CARE!!! I'm the only reason this stations get ratings. My four listeners that jam up the phone lines are the only reason this station gets any listenership. I run this station....you DON'T!!!!

Ron: in addition, I want billboards with my picture on them every 3 miles on I-696, I-96, I-94, I-75, and US 23!!!!!!

P.D.: We can't do that.....do you know what billboards cost???

Ron: I DON'T CARE. I AM THE SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND. Ron them stomps out of the office slamming the door.

P.D.: Pulls out the bottle of Tylenol out of this desk and takes 4 of them. Now he's got a real migraine.
Ron: And a bowl of M&Ms, with all the brown ones removed, just like Van Halen!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat May 14, 2022 8:46 am

Momo wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 am
Luke, if you want to get an idea of what Ron was like back in the day, you could also just do a search in this thread of “Talbert” (Bob Talbert) & Rubin (Neal Rubin), as that could give you a sense of his contemporaneous reputation. Hint: he’s changed not a whit over the years.
It's too bad Talbert didn't live long enough to get the Buzzboard treatment (he died in 1999 at the age of 63). Back in the 80s, people made fun of Talbert as much as they did of Ron. With a daily newspaper column, his BB thread would have rivaled Ron's in length. Talbert had a regular group of correspondents who played the same role as Kurt, Cowboy, and Mr. P—Chrissie K. from Novi, Darlene (Big Red) Longo, others. Late in his career, Talbert developed a big man crush on Jeff Daniels, similar to Ron's feelings about Gabe Kapler and others.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat May 14, 2022 9:51 am

If you're going to the Bookstock book sale at Laurel Park Place in Livonia next week, you can help out a couple of Friends of Ron:
  • One of Ron's current sponsors, Ryan T's Fried Chicken, is in the food court. I stopped there a few weeks ago and enjoyed some fried chicken. The nice lady who served me was almost overjoyed about me hearing the restaurant's ad on Ron's show. Unfortunately, I don't give the restaurant much of a chance to survive. It's the only restaurant in the food court in a very quiet part of the mall (you might remember Ron almost started a restaurant there about five years ago). Hopefully, the foot traffic during the book sale will help business. If you don't feel like a meal, they have some delicious looking snacks.
  • The honorary chairperson of the event is Detroit Free Press columnist Neal Rubin, who has written some good articles about Ron at both the Free Press and the News. Hopefully he will write another one, based on his response to e-mails from radiofan1974 and me.
https://www.bookstockmi.org/

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat May 14, 2022 10:03 am

Here's another Ron encounter. You've got to visualize this;

Ron pulls into a Speedway station to get gas for his 1964 Pontiac. He sits at the pump for 20 minutes waiting for someone inside to come out and pump his gas. He finally goes into the building.

Ron: HEY....I wannna get 10 gallons of gas.

Cashier: Yes sir, I can take care of you here.

Ron: OK, where's the guy to come out and pump the gas???

Cashier: Sir, this is self-serve.

Ron: WHAT!!!!! I don't pump my own gas!!! I AM RON CAMERON....THE SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND!!!!!

Cashier: Really??? Never heard of you!!!

Ron: 4 people have heard of me. NOW GET OUT THERE PUMP JOCKEY AND PUMP MY GAS!!!!!!

Cashier: Sir, I'm not a pump jockey, I'm a cashier. There's instructions on the pump that tell you how to do it.

Ron: I AM A SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND, I DON'T READ INSTRUCTIONS. NOW GET OUT THERE AND PUMP IT. AND I WANT MY WINDOWS WASHED AND MY OIL CHECKED!!!!

Cashier: Pushes the panic button, and within 2 minutes 4 police cars show up:

Officer to Cashier: What's the trouble???

Cashier: This yahoo says he's a sports talk radio legend and doesn't have to pump his own gas.

Officer to Ron: Oh, it's you again. You're the guy that was hassling the business owner down the road.

Ron: That's because I AM A SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND.

Officer: Yeah, yeah...I've heard this baloney from you before. Now get out of here before I run you in.

Ron: You arrest me and I'll sue the police department. And I'll sue Speedway for poor customer service. I'll even call the BBB. I've got Perry Mason on retainer!!!!!! Ok, I'll leave, but you haven't heard the last from me. I AM A SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND.

Ron pulls out of the station and runs out of gas 30 feet from the parking lot.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat May 14, 2022 11:16 am

^I am visualizing it Willie108. Very funny. Do you think Ron goes to the fillerup station asking for ethyl gas?!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic