Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:23 am

How much was an ad on WPON?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 am

ShempLives wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:55 pm
I did know someone who advertised once on Ron's WPON show. First Ron came into a friend's establishment unannounced and proceeded to hustle sponsorship by promising an audience of thousands that would hear the commercial announcement. My friend agreed and Ron plugged the business once. Upon hearing the ad on a Saturday, I called the business later in the next week to mention that I had listened to Ron's mention. I was told that when Ron returned for payment of the plug, said friend balked - complaining that all he heard was static. (The enterprise was out of the broadcast range of WPON.) The "sponsor" further told me that he probably would have paid Ron anyway, but Mr. Cameron got so belligerent that he had to throw Ron out of the place.
Yeah, his ad-selling techniques can be very questionable. I once worked with a guy who sold ads for Cameron, who told this guy to make up references when he cold-called people. Say stuff like, "So-and-so said that you might be interested in advertising on the radio."

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Trust me, several years ago, I saw Ron try and hustle an ad out of a place I worked at. To his credit, he did stay on the task, once he thought he had hooked the sale, but then after a couple strange “turns of events”, (and an earlier free dinner for Ron, another couple and Ron’s “date”, can’t remember anything about them, but it was not Ernie and Lulu Harwell, nor Gabe Kapler or Corey Lidle), the owner didn’t go forth with buying the ad from RC. With that, some ugliness started from RC, and like the above poster said, he was asked to GTFO of the business. Ron’s a weird fellow, and for what it’s worth, his “closing” techniques were not showing his best side!

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm

With hustler Ron's far-reaching tentacles, I think he must hear "stop coming in on me" in his dreams.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:13 pm

I don't know how much Ron charged for a plug on WPON, but I have purchased air time on WPON and the cost was $100.00 per hour.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:44 am

Having listened back to this past weekend’s podcasts, is there anything more snooze-inducing than Ron Cameron reading “the scores”, or giving play-by-play of playoff baseball games on the studio TV/computer?

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 am

Harangue on, Scoopy
Scoopy, harangue on
Harangue on, Scoopy
Scoopy, harangue on
Scoopy lives in a very bad part of town (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
And everybody, yeah, tries to put my Scoopy down (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
Scoopy, I don't care what you madly spew (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
'Cause you know, Scoopy, boy, I'm not above you (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
And so I say now
Harangue on, Scoopy
Scoopy, harangue on
Harangue on, Scoopy
Scoopy, harangue on
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Give it to 'em (yeah)
Scoopy, let your hot air out, boy
Let it rain down, Ronnie (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
Scoopy, let your hot air out, boy
Let it rain down, Ronnie, yeah, yeah (ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh)
Come on, Scoopy (come on, come on)
Well, come on, Scoopy (come on, come on)
Well, you’re just so misunderstood (come on, come on)
You know, you’re just so misunderstood (come on, come on)
Oh, have a fit, have a fit, Scoopy (come on, come on)
Oh, have a fit, have a fit, yeah (come on, come on)
Ohh
Harangue on, Scoopy
Scoopy, harangue on
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Harangue on, Scoopy
Scoopy, harangue on
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Harangue on, Scoopy
Scoopy, harangue on

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:15 am

Very clever word play, Momo. He was in top form the other night, when he kept arguing with Curt from Fraser and kept forgetting that he was missing commercial breaks.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Thanks! The lyrics about living “in a very bad part of town” already fit so well that I decided not to touch with perfection.

As to our favorite caller from Fraser, Kurt (btw, when he provided his last name & age, I confirmed online that it is “Kurt”) never seems able to read the room & know when to make his exit.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:33 pm

I tried that "cosmetic" burrito that Ron has been advertising lately for the Cosmic Burrito restaurant on Grand River near Beech Daly. I had the chicken burrito and it was very good—thick and chewy and very tasty.

I told the waitress that I had heard the restaurant advertised on Ron Cameron's radio show, and she was very happy to hear that. I commented that "Ron is quite a character," and she smiled and chuckled and said, "Yes, he's definitely quite a character." I was hoping she'd elaborate but no such luck.

The restaurant is a renovated neighborhood bar with a cozy atmosphere. That stretch of Grand River has many restaurants and I'm sure Ron has made sales calls to every one of them. He was been advertising another restaurant in that area, but I forget the name of it.
Last edited by Bobbert on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:17 pm

I wonder what Ron's thoughts are on the check swing from last night's Dodgers vs. Giants game are, which ended last night's contest. I think it might be time to revisit the robo umps with Umpire lover Ron.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:22 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:17 pm
I wonder what Ron's thoughts are on the check swing from last night's Dodgers vs. Giants game are, which ended last night's contest. I think it might be time to revisit the robo umps with Umpire lover Ron.
Ron’s gotta be on the horns of a dilemma. Does he side with the umpire - which would usually be a no-brainer for him - when that umpire’s call ended the World Series dreams of his “Hawaiian buddy”? An especially sticky wicket since Ron probably thinks he was in line for a World Series ring if the Giants won it all.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Big night on the sports dial as Rob C has Jimmy D on, looking forward to the first question and Jimmy D answer, if you were not a team president for a NHL team what would you be

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Will Ron get in his "greatest thrill" question in before Dan emails his in?

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:58 pm

Momo wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:17 pm
Ron’s gotta be on the horns of a dilemma. Does he side with the umpire - which would usually be a no-brainer for him - when that umpire’s call ended the World Series dreams of his “Hawaiian buddy”? An especially sticky wicket since Ron probably thinks he was in line for a World Series ring if the Giants won it all.
What a conundrum for Ron. Side with the umpires as usual, no matter how obvious or go with his Hawaii buddy. Wow. Tough call.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic