Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

January Radio Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: January Radio Ratings

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:40 am

I’m sure this is exactly what all the displaced 89x listeners were looking for.....
*raises hand*

I prayed to the radio Gods for 89x to bite the dust so I could get a REAL alternative station, one that played 95.5 and 96.3 music with "Closing Time, thrown in for good measure. I am SO happy that the ONE station in the area that might even accidentally play 90s rock that isn't Nirvana went away for...

..this.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

riggs

Post by riggs » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 pm

ALT 98.7 is just milquetoast. No imagination..........no style.......no flair.......no risks..........

Hey, let's just throw a bunch of well-testing records on the air and we'll get ratings ! That's not how it works

98.7 is the absolute definition of bad radio and why so many music stations suck. There is nothing compelling about it.

Do an all-female oriented talk station with all syndicated programming. A female alternative to Sports Talk. It probably wouldn't get slam-dunk ratings, but It would be better than this blandfest.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:15 pm

It is nice to look down at the radio and see "98.7" while hearing stuff like Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Offspring of Green Day again, though. It's like Today's Wheels last year or so on the air. It's the other 45 minutes of programming that piss me off. Have you seen some of their Facebook/Twitter comments? Holy shit. I think Entercom management are the only people involved that just don't fucking get it.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:16 am

Everyone is talking about how bad ALT is doing, but did anyone notice that WOMC is #2, don't remember them doing that well recently, the Breeze listeners probably went to WOMC. Entercom will make more $$$ off of a stronger WOMC than they would have with a mediocre Breeze. With ALT they have an exclusive to the market format. Although I have to agree with everyone that ALT sucks right now, personally I wish they would clone WXRT for Detroit, but that would probably take listeners from WOMC too.

Deleted User 15506

Post by Deleted User 15506 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Alt 98.7 is going after an audience that doesn’t listen to traditional radio anymore. 😂 This 1.8 share is the best ratings book that Alt 98.7 will ever have.

option1

Post by option1 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:17 am

And to think, The Bounce DEBUT at #1 and was not only the talk of Detroit with every TV and newspaper doing stories about the format, but the entire industry! It has turned out to be one of the biggest tank jobs in the history of radio. Not saying they could have maintained those incredible numbers, but at least keep it top 10.

But it’s what happens when you throw something at the wall and it sticks and you’re not prepared. Basically everything they did for the six months following launch was pure negligence. It took them forever to staff up, (I think Tarrants the rock guy was the PD at launch lol). The playlist leaned too heavy on west coast artists. Barely any classic old school Detroit hip-hop. The imaging got stale. They lost their momentum quick and gave a lifeline to all the Urbans and even channel 955 who were taking significant hits.

If you turned to the last chapter in Radio 101 what not to do, you’ll find The Bounce.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:59 pm

They were top five in A25-54, A18-49 and A18-34 much longer than virtually any other station that has tried classic hip-hop. The ratings really started to gel once the Pistons were dumped.

Sadly, the station is now a mere shadow of itself. Multiple dayparts on auto pilot or close to it. Stale sounding imaging. No on air phoners with listeners. It's basically a jukebox outside of mornings. It sounds like a dying radio station, much like W4 did in summer 1999.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic