Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another Case

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Another Case

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm

Complainant -Woman, age 45

Job Title - Pre-assembler

Rate of Pay - $17.42/hr

Seniority - 3 years

Work Record - Good.

The Company employs 60 people, manufacturing furnaces for home heating, in its plant in a small town in south west Ontario

There are two classes of Assemblers. One group, pre-assembles parts to be used in the furnaces. The other, more skilled group, does the final assembly and adjustments of the furnaces.

There is one employee designated as a floater. He mostly assists with lifting or fetches parts from stock as needed. When people meed his help they shout out his name and he comes to see what they need. Except, they don't call him by his real name. They call him by his nickname he's had all his life. The name is a racial epithet, The N word. He is a white male and can't even recall how he got the name. He doesn't object to it.

The complainant was a black woman. She found the use of the word very offensive. She asked her coworkers to please stop using that word, but they didn't stop. She complained to the Plant Manage, but his response was "Just ignore it. They aren't calling you that name and N---- doesn't mind it.

She complained to her Union and their response was pretty much the same as the Manager's

She put up with it for several more months. Finally, she found it so hateful and so obnoxious hearing that word shouted day in and day out, she quit her job.

She filed a complaint with The Ontario Human Rights Commission, charging the Company and The Union with failing to stop racism in the workplace. She asked to be awarded punitive damages from both parties.

Does her complaint succeed?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Robert Faygo

Re: Another Case

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Guessing she didn't get paid ... but that there was some kind of action taken against the employer to create and maintain a less hostile work environment. The Union was given access to additional resources to better be able to work through similar situations in the future.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 pm

They probably stopped calling him that.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 pm

I think we all have a pretty good idea how he got that name, based on his job.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 pm
I think we all have a pretty good idea how he got that name, based on his job.

No, the name goes all the way back to when he was a kid. Maybe had a dirty face one day.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:02 pm

So, the Human Rights Tribunal awarded in favour of the Complainant. The Tribunal ordered the Company to pay monetary damages equal to one year's wages.

The Union was directed to provide Racism Awareness training to all of the Company's employees.

The Union selected a group of Local Union activists to be trained as facilitators for the program.

That was over 25 years ago. The Union is still presenting the program at workplaces all over Ontario. Many high schools have also asked to have the training for their students and faculty.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 pm

About $36,000... not bad.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 pm
About $36,000... not bad.

If I recall, 36K is the average income in Liberty NY. Home of the Late Christopher Pekny.

https://datausa.io/profile/geo/liberty-ny/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic