Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Loss of Limbaugh, Retirement Of Beckman And Others, May Force Changes At WJR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Ben Zonia

Loss of Limbaugh, Retirement Of Beckman And Others, May Force Changes At WJR

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:21 am

The death of Rush Limbaugh is the most significant change causing event at WJR since the death of J P McCarthy. Along with the retirement of Frank Beckmann and others, this may force WJR to adapt to a more News and Less Talk Format. If Cumulus doesn't have the resources and vision, another company may buy it and bring it back to its more rightful respect and place in the Neilsen Ratings. This would mean more competition with WWJ, and may even force simulcasts on FMs like WBBM and WCFS, and closer to home, WOOD (AM) and WOOD-FM, on WWJ and/or WJR. Stay tuned.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

fuzzpower

Re: Loss of Limbaugh, Retirement Of Beckman And Others, May Force Changes At WJR

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:04 pm

WJR has a very small news staff, I believe three people. If you move Dayna Clark back to news that’s four. Cumulus would need to hire, something they aren’t fond of doing.

WOHO

Re: Loss of Limbaugh, Retirement Of Beckman And Others, May Force Changes At WJR

Post by WOHO » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 am

To have a decent on-air news staff, WJR would need a dozen journalists. It would be cheaper to broadcast EZ-listening music on WJR

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:56 am

Hang on...

Wasn't Cume-U-Less paying iHate to air the show? Or am I wrong on that? Or maybe it was just air the spots. Either way, this could be a boon for the Cloud.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:51 am

Premiere Radio Network has announced that they will be airing mostly "archival" (basically, a best-of) audio for "weeks" during Rush's time slot. Even his hardcore fans will tire of that in a few days; they really need a fill-in host to discuss current topics immediately, otherwise listeners will abandon in droves and may never come back.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:14 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:51 am
Premiere Radio Network has announced that they will be airing mostly "archival" (basically, a best-of) audio for "weeks" during Rush's time slot. Even his hardcore fans will tire of that in a few days; they really need a fill-in host to discuss current topics immediately, otherwise listeners will abandon in droves and may never come back.
Maybe Rush’s thoughts on the 1994 midterms are relavant? Maybe Bill Clinton’s runs for the White House in 1992 and 1996? That could almost be interesting...

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Premiere Radio Network has announced that they will be airing mostly "archival" (basically, a best-of) audio for "weeks" during Rush's time slot.
Works for Casey Kasem on American Top 40.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:10 pm
That is VERY different than a format based on talking about the current events of the day. For me it would be like watching last week's weather forecast or re-watching the Super Bowl. Music, however, is timeless.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:18 pm

Marie Osborne, and Ken Rogulski are the only 2 remaining staffers in the WJR newsroom.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:35 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:10 pm
That is VERY different than a format based on talking about the current events of the day. For me it would be like watching last week's weather forecast or re-watching the Super Bowl. Music, however, is timeless.
I LOVE AT40 on Sirius/XM 70's on 7, #1 reason why I have satellite radio, call me what you will but every Thursday night & Sat/Sun I religiously tune in, sparks great memories for me and some great songs are heard that terrestrial radio does not play anymore...

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:14 am
bmw wrote:
Maybe Rush’s thoughts on the 1994 midterms are relavant? Maybe Bill Clinton’s runs for the White House in 1992 and 1996? That could almost be interesting...
The thing about programs such as Rush's was that they're only pegged to yesterday's "current events", and that the opinions of a radio host carry much less historical weight than actual news. Premiere (and by association, iHeart) had millions invested into Rush -- if they can't find a suitable successor, they're better off giving the time back to its affiliates. It'll be interesting to see what will happen in the coming days to the format in general, now that Rush is off the air for good and all they have is reruns.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:13 pm

The dream is not over. Just go through the archives and start piecing them together, word by word. Use pitch shift where needed. And you could make new shows forever. The technology is there.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 am

I think that this wind turbine freeze and rolling blackouts in Texas are just the beginning of the disasters the Left will create. You will miss Rush, and you will miss Trump, "maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your lives".

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 am
I think that this wind turbine freeze and rolling blackouts in Texas are just the beginning of the disasters the Left will create. You will miss Rush, and you will miss Trump, "maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your lives".
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:32 am

I think that this wind turbine freeze and rolling blackouts in Texas are just the beginning of the disasters the Left will create.
What a truly moronic comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic