Acceptable registrations in the queue through January 10 at 7:30a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Burger King old logo

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
CurlyHoward
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:43 am
Fast food options in this part of the country flat out suck.

I am extremely jealous of the great state of Texas, which has Whataburger and Taco Cabana.

Burger King was awesome until the early/mid 90's. Decent for another 5 to 10 years after that. The turning point was a horrendous new recipe for their french fries. For several years, they were nearly inedible. I think the recipe has changed 2 or 3 more time since then. The fries are now OK but not as good as those offered by McDonalds or Wendy's.
Yeah, BK was good in the 80's and 90's, they also had much better chicken tenders back then than either their current nuggets or McNuggets. Granted most fast food chains have declined since then, but BK has even more than McD's, Taco Bell or arby's.

Today not only does their food suck, but every time I give them a shot their drive-thru moves at a snail's pace. I'm not sure if it's just the franchisees here in northwest Ohio hiring bad people or what.



Neckbeard
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by Neckbeard » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:26 pm

I worked at BK when I was a kid up into young adulthood. Great job. I loved the old BK logo and I am glad they are bringing it back. I also miss the design of the old restaurants. Nowadays, the dining rooms are super small because everyone uses drive thru. I believe like 10-15% of our business was dine-in, but it would require a large amount of labor, with the maintenance, cashier, expediting orders, etc. Then in the winter, constantly mopping, shoveling, etc. It seems like they see the solution as being to cut out the dine-in experience altogether, as they keep stripping down their dining rooms. Idk, I just think they should do what they can to bring people back into the lobby.

The Whopper is the best damn fast food burger ever though.



CurlyHoward
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:02 pm

I did like the look of those old restaurants with the "Home Of The Whopper" signs. Like the McD's mansard roofs or the H*** 10-gallon hat arby's signs, they were distinctive. Now every fast food joint looks like a fucking bank branch.



MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:52 am
MW, yes, Texas has Whataburger, but their pizza sucks down there. Then again, they have Mexican food that is authentic. I am also very partial to Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen down there. Very big menu and a great Phil!y Cheese Steak sandwich served with either fries or macaroni. You will want the macaroni. It tastes homemade.
Ya know - that is one thing I overlooked regarding our region: the fast options up here are mediocre but we do have some damn good homegrown pizza joints!
Yes, you have Jets, Buddy's, Cloverleaf, Louis, Green Lantern, and several others that I can't think of right now.

We also had Pasquale's until they went under.
Neckbeard wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:26 pm
I worked at BK when I was a kid up into young adulthood. Great job. I loved the old BK logo and I am glad they are bringing it back. I also miss the design of the old restaurants. Nowadays, the dining rooms are super small because everyone uses drive thru. I believe like 10-15% of our business was dine-in, but it would require a large amount of labor, with the maintenance, cashier, expediting orders, etc. Then in the winter, constantly mopping, shoveling, etc. It seems like they see the solution as being to cut out the dine-in experience altogether, as they keep stripping down their dining rooms. Idk, I just think they should do what they can to bring people back into the lobby.

The Whopper is the best damn fast food burger ever though.
I am not a fan of the Whopper, but BK has a great junior chicken sandwich that they reduced to a $1. No one else has that. Good onion rings too.
CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:22 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:43 am
Fast food options in this part of the country flat out suck.

I am extremely jealous of the great state of Texas, which has Whataburger and Taco Cabana.

Burger King was awesome until the early/mid 90's. Decent for another 5 to 10 years after that. The turning point was a horrendous new recipe for their french fries. For several years, they were nearly inedible. I think the recipe has changed 2 or 3 more time since then. The fries are now OK but not as good as those offered by McDonalds or Wendy's.
Yeah, BK was good in the 80's and 90's, they also had much better chicken tenders back then than either their current nuggets or McNuggets. Granted most fast food chains have declined since then, but BK has even more than McD's, Taco Bell or arby's.

Today not only does their food suck, but every time I give them a shot their drive-thru moves at a snail's pace. I'm not sure if it's just the franchisees here in northwest Ohio hiring bad people or what.
Our BK is quick here. I happen to like McNuggets over whatever BK has with their nasty ass breading.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

Matt
Posts: 3584
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:15 am

MCRF, did you ever have the chicken tenders when they were a thing at BK? I think they went away when they switched to chicken fries.



MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:56 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:15 am
MCRF, did you ever have the chicken tenders when they were a thing at BK? I think they went away when they switched to chicken fries.
I may have when I was in college as there was a BK around the corner from campus. That was almost 14 years ago though. I think that was about when they switched over to chicken fries.

I often got a side salad with a double cheeseburger and value onion ring when I was in college. As Mark said, the fries aren't good. I noticed that their meat seemd to change for the double cheeseburger, and I don't eat it as much. That's why I said I wasn't fond of it, but I will get it sometimes if I am there for my chicken. The one thing I like about BK is their lettuce and mayo are fresher than McDonald's.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Kind of nice to have the old BK logo back.

Burger King is a distant third among my favorite fast-food places. I prefer Wendy's and then McDonald's. The Chicken Fries are good, but their nuggets, french fries, and onion rings are so-so, IMO. The Chicken Sandwich is good too. Never tried their grilled hot dogs when they had those for a short time a few years ago.



MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am

I really liked BK's cheesy tots back a couple years ago. Del Taco also had great macaroni bites. Both are gone now.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

kager
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by kager » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:02 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:02 pm
I did like the look of those old restaurants with the "Home Of The Whopper" signs. Like the McD's mansard roofs or the H*** 10-gallon hat arby's signs, they were distinctive. Now every fast food joint looks like a f***ing bank branch.
Old enough to remember these guys?

Image

Aside from A&W Drive-In, this was the my fave as a youngin' back in the late 60's/early 70's.

Image

Their restaurants were anything but bank branches...

Image

Burger Chef article:

https://soundingsjohnbarker.wordpress.c ... -business/


"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

CurlyHoward
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 am
I really liked BK's cheesy tots back a couple years ago. Del Taco also had great macaroni bites. Both are gone now.
There's still Del Taco locations in Southgate, allen Park and Dearborn Heights per Google. They left Toledo a few years ago though, I miss them a lot. 49 cent tacos on Tuesdays in the mid-2010s, and much better than Taco Hell.



MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:33 pm

Oh, we have them here in Warren, but they dropped the mac and cheese bites 3 years ago and did big price hikes around that same time.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 pm

My uncle worked at the Red Barn on 8 Mile in the early 70's.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

User avatar
Robert Faygo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:26 pm
Location: Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:43 pm

Hard to believe that Burger Chef was second only to McDonald's in the 70s. They had some good things going for them like the works bar and their mushroom and Swiss burger but couldn't compete with McDonald's capital. Selling out to the holding company that owned Hardee's was the end of that.

I remember well when their were Burger Chefs in towns like Manistee and Escanaba that McDonald's didn't want to enter.


Wellllll... la de frickin da

kc8yqq
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 am

Re: Burger King old logo

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 am

Burger Chef's sign (what's left of it) is still standing in St. Johns:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0068251 ... 312!8i6656



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic