Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Problems With United States Postal Service

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

Problems With United States Postal Service

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:40 pm

Is anyone else having a problem with sending and receiving first class mail? Like a week or more to receive a letter it used to take a couple days for? I know, there's the virus, but the election excuse is gone. And Priority Mail, 2 weeks for what was 2-3 days. Many have been told to avoid any hubs around large cities if possible. Now the excuse is it's the Holidays.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

km1125

Re: Problems With United States Postal Service

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:06 pm

I think I saw some report recently on one of the local "news" shows that they said 50% of the folks that normally work at one of the sorting centers were out with COVID. Not sure if that's accurate, or even if the folks who might be out really have COVID, or if that may or may not apply to other sorting centers, but I could see that being a problem with productivity.

I was supposed to get a package before 12/13 for a skype meeting. It just arrived today.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:12 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:06 pm
I think I saw some report recently on one of the local "news" shows that they said 50% of the folks that normally work at one of the sorting centers were out with COVID. Not sure if that's accurate, or even if the folks who might be out really have COVID, or if that may or may not apply to other sorting centers, but I could see that being a problem with productivity.

I was supposed to get a package before 12/13 for a skype meeting. It just arrived today.
So the concept of someone getting it and then contact tracing and then quarantines for the folks they contacted affecting a business significantly is a foreign concept to you?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:12 pm
So the concept of someone getting it and then contact tracing and then quarantines for the folks they contacted affecting a business significantly is a foreign concept to you?
WTF is wrong with you?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:15 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:12 pm
WTF is wrong with you?
You seem confused on why they might be out even if the didn’t have COVID. Whether the really had it or not is irrelevant.

Just trying to keep you up to speed with the rest of the class. You often post things that make you seem a bit sloth like at times. Questions that have obvious answers. Things like that.

At any rate the postal service hasn’t increased capacity to make up for the cuts from before the election. They took all those sorting machines offline which slowed it down anyways.. throw in the situation with the possibility of half the employees in quarantine and that’ll gum up the works.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:15 pm
You seem confused on why they might be out even if the didn’t have COVID. Whether the really had it or not is irrelevant.

Just trying to keep you up to speed with the rest of the class. You often post things that make you seem a bit sloth like at times. Questions that have obvious answers. Things like that.

At any rate the postal service hasn’t increased capacity to make up for the cuts from before the election. They took all those sorting machines offline which slowed it down anyways.. throw in the situation with the possibility of half the employees in quarantine and that’ll gum up the works.
I'm not confused at all. The difference about whether or not they actually have COVID is that if they didn't and were only out due to contract tracing and a POTENTIAL to be sick means they can be tested and return to work MUCH QUICKER than if they were ACTUALLY sick. Either way they're out for some period, but in one case a much shorter period. Get with the program.

Mail capacity and sorting machine capacity has been significantly underutilized since it was based on volume from 10 years ago. USPS volume has significantly SHRUNK over that period due to their inability to compete with the other delivery mechanisms out there. They can't seem to do things as cheap as anybody else, and can't compete in the timeliness of deliveries either. They should be absolutely crushing the "competition" and easily should be the most effective way to get a letter or package from point A to point B, but they have failed miserably in this regard.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:39 pm

I'm still waiting on a letter that was mailed from Florida on Dec. 8. I don't know if the trouble is with USPS, Canada Post or both.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:24 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:15 pm

I'm not confused at all. The difference about whether or not they actually have COVID is that if they didn't and were only out due to contract tracing and a POTENTIAL to be sick means they can be tested and return to work MUCH QUICKER than if they were ACTUALLY sick. Either way they're out for some period, but in one case a much shorter period. Get with the program.

Mail capacity and sorting machine capacity has been significantly underutilized since it was based on volume from 10 years ago. USPS volume has significantly SHRUNK over that period due to their inability to compete with the other delivery mechanisms out there. They can't seem to do things as cheap as anybody else, and can't compete in the timeliness of deliveries either. They should be absolutely crushing the "competition" and easily should be the most effective way to get a letter or package from point A to point B, but they have failed miserably in this regard.
Thing is that the service itself is close to profitable. The pensions are the issue.

Removing all that extra sorting capacity is NOT helpful.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:04 pm

The postal service still suffering from residual damage from a failed effort to corrupt the election.

But also, retail has been hammered, and 40% more Christmas presents were purchased online than expected.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Irony is letting Louis DeJoy destroy the mail sorting machines in August and September then bitching about the mail in December.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:52 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:19 pm
Irony is letting Louis DeJoy destroy the mail sorting machines in August and September then bitching about the mail in December.
As if you know that those mail sorting machines have ANYTHING to do with the issues they are currently facing!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:21 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:52 pm
As if you know that those mail sorting machines have ANYTHING to do with the issues they are currently facing!!
The mail immediately slowed down after they did that and delays began to be reported. That was in August. With increased volumes around the holidays that has only worsened. They decommissioned more sorting machines than one could justify based on current volume vs. volumes 10 years ago. So either it’s a purposeful slowing or an inept example of everything Trump and his cronies touch dies. Take your pick.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:51 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:52 pm
okay Joe the plumber, share your expertise on how removing automation equipment makes the post office more efficient.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:25 am

My TV Guide from last week did NOT get here in my mailbox!!!

kager

Post by kager » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:57 am

FedEx has its issues as well...

A delivery to our family that was supposed take place on the 16th via FedEx, didn't occur until yesterday (12/23) - a week late... and then, it was dropped off outside in the rain at the outside corner of our neighbours' pole barn. If I hadn't called several times and finally broken through their wall of BS required to speak to an actual human, it would probably still be riding around in a truck with a website status of 'out for delivery' (followed by a 'delivery exception' ~7:30pm)...

Do your best to turn it into a f-ing political issue, robots.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic