Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Breeze Drifts Away

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: The Breeze Drifts Away

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:07 pm

I get 95.9 fairly reliably here, it would be great if that country format swirled the porcelain bowl at some point.

As far as The Breeze is concerned, it may have not my FIRST choice, but it was good to have nonetheless. I'd catch a good song here and there. As it stands now, I've probably heard more on Breeze that I liked more than Alt. They just watched it grab mid to high 1 shares for months. So why do it again with no changes?

The sad part is, as I've mentioned before, the same stations are always up top and the new kid on the block is always the bottom half. JLB beats Hot. CSX beats Wheels. YCD beats Nash. KQI beat Amp. So we finally see the newer guy make some headway, and it gets blown out. In this city, you have to rock, and whether I like them or not, Billie Ellish isn't gonna get people tuning in to the new Alt station.

I was just always under the impression that, in business, you played to win. When was the last time a new station took on a market leader and beat the shit out of them? Wheels in 1980? Seriously, I don't know. It never happens. 97-1 going sports? No, just make a few bucks, do it cheaply, and flip it again in a few years.

And it's never gonna change.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm
Flipping DRQ to soft AC would be wise.
Their country days have consistently failed.
Soft AC on 93.1? Back to W-Lite would be cool, which had that 10+year run starting in ‘85. Does Cumulus do Soft AC in any of the markets that they serve?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:21 am

Kevin O'Neill and Lisa Barry in the mornings and Detroit's soft rock favorites all day long are on Q 93.1, WDRQ FM. Kevin works for Cumulus still does he not? Why not make him PD and morning show host?

Mornings: Kevin O'Neill and Lisa Barry
Middays: Sandy Kovach
Afternoons: Chuck Edwards
Nights: Rene Vitale

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:31 pm

I like it! Q93point1 has a nice ring to it.
Hope they do flip soon. We need a soft AC station.

radiojunkie2002

Post by radiojunkie2002 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 pm

I hope! How about 93.1 The River ?
Or bring back the “lite-fm” name.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:19 pm

93.1 the River, yes!

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:12 pm

The River had terrible ratings in Detroit in their last book (granted, about three years ago). I doubt moving their focus to Windsor helped the Detroit numbers.

I rarely listened to the Breeze, but it makes so sense to dump a format with ratings like that. How were they billing?

Alt 98.7 probably draws a 1.5 next book.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:07 pm

93.1 the River? Hmm...if you're talking about wanting them to go AAA, it might not do as well as we hope it would. I posed a question about it here sometime either this year or last, and the consensus was that the audience simply isn't there for it in Metro Detroit (excluding Ann Arbor). Soft AC? Maybe...but I'm thinking Cumulus is just fine with 93.1 as-is.

I don't think 98.7 is going to do as bad as a 1.5...I'm thinking it'll be stuck in the 2's for most of its life until they spin the format wheel again in a couple years -- perhaps even sooner. I think MW would know how much the Breeze was billing; I believe he has access to that data.

take this job and shove it

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 am

The data would likely be for 2019, and new stations regardless of ratings success generally bill poorly in year one.

In any event, I will see what I can find tomorrow.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:46 pm

WNIC tweaked a bit softer this spring and summer and sounded quite good; they added some Breeze staples such as Bette Midler back into rotation. They've since tweaked back hotter again while keeping some of those softer titles but playing them next to "Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake (puke) or worse yet, "Yeah!" by Usher (double puke). Perhaps that was what drove listeners away and led to Breeze's surge in its final monthly. I think WNIC could benefit by tweaking to a 93.9 Lite FM (Chicago) type format after Christmas. Leave the Jonas Brothers and the club slut crossover (Dua Lipa, Camila Cabello etc.) to WDVD.

Someone mentioned the possibility of 95.9 switching to a Lite format. If they did, I hope it would sound better than their attempt at the format on 95.1 Chatham/100.7 Windsor a few years ago. Some of the Cancon really stuck out like a sore thumb - Alanis Morissette's hiccupy squealing on "You Learn" or Serena Ryder's "Stompa" sounded out of place played in the same hour as Amy Grant, Kenny Rogers and the Carpenters. Not that I expected to hear Paul Anka and Anne Murray every hour, but CFCO played plenty of Canadian gold AC in its previous format that would be a better fit - David Roberts, Alfie Zappacosta, Candi and the Backbeat, Blue Rodeo, etc. Evanov's "Jewel" stations in Brantford, metro Toronto, Ottawa etc. are an example of what a Cancon soft AC should sound like IMO (discounting the evening standards and beautiful music programs).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 am

Perhaps that was what drove listeners away and led to Breeze's surge in its final monthly. I think WNIC could benefit by tweaking to a 93.9 Lite FM (Chicago) type format after Christmas. Leave the Jonas Brothers and the club slut crossover (Dua Lipa, Camila Cabello etc.) to WDVD.
Breeze clipped WNIC because Breeze flipped to Christmas music the evening of Halloween.

Personally, I hated the move, but evidently there was an audience for it!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 am
Perhaps that was what drove listeners away and led to Breeze's surge in its final monthly. I think WNIC could benefit by tweaking to a 93.9 Lite FM (Chicago) type format after Christmas. Leave the Jonas Brothers and the club slut crossover (Dua Lipa, Camila Cabello etc.) to WDVD.
Breeze clipped WNIC because Breeze flipped to Christmas music the evening of Halloween.

Personally, I hated the move, but evidently there was an audience for it!
The period only covered the first.couple days of November.

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic