Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Election reform ideas

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Election reform ideas

Post by bmw » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:16 am

Ok, so once reality finally sets in for conservatives that Biden WILL be our next President, what are some suggestions for reforming what I think is a broken election system?

I have a few....

1 - Outlaw unsolicited voter-registration mail.
2 - Get rid of "no excuse" absentee voting in all states (with possible exceptions during pandemics).
3 - Limit the time frame for mail-in voting. Having ballots available in September is too early.
4 - Do not count ballots received after election day.
5 - Universal voting machines. All states should use the same system, whatever it is.
6 - There HAS to be a better way to count the votes and have definitive results within 24-48 hours after the polls close. I don't know how that could be done.
7 - There needs to be better transparency for the vote-counting process.

Rate This

Re: Election reform ideas

Post by Rate This » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:16 am
Ok, so once reality finally sets in for conservatives that Biden WILL be our next President, what are some suggestions for reforming what I think is a broken election system?

I have a few....

2 - Get rid of "no excuse" absentee voting in all states (with possible exceptions during pandemics).
3 - Limit the time frame for mail-in voting. Having ballots available in September is too early.
5 - Universal voting machines. All states should use the same system, whatever it is.
6 - There HAS to be a better way to count the votes and have definitive results within 24-48 hours after the polls close. I don't know how that could be done.
Most of that is eliminating mail which beyond being slow to count (only because they weren’t allowed to count until polls closed while Ohio and Florida got right through it because they counted as they received them) isn’t a problem. Republicans being discouraged by an idiot from using it isn’t a reason to eliminate it. Just have the Orange lummox encourage it next time.

Getting an unsolicited absentee application in the mail isn’t bad. Many people on the right proudly videoed them being burned. Just because you get one doesn’t mean you’ll do anything with it.

We don’t do elections nationally. Good luck getting the 6 or 7 states including red red red UTAH to go for eliminating their well run and successful all mail elections.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:43 am

Every state should have the same rules for voting and times you can vote, goes along with your #5.

Also the electoral college needs to be abolished. It's too much of a convoluted system. Just use popular vote.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 pm

TheForce wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:43 am
Every state should have the same rules for voting and times you can vote, goes along with your #5.

Also the electoral college needs to be abolished. It's too much of a convoluted system. Just use popular vote.
You should only be able to vote ONE TIME in each election, despite what the leftists practice.

If we move to the popular vote, then just let NY and CA have the election and eliminate the votes from everybody else.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:49 pm

TheForce wrote:
I disagree. KM1125 gives one reason. Everyone other than the 3 or 4 biggest states may as well stay home.
But there's another reason that often gets overlooked. All the other states can pack sand getting any federal aid, federal dollars, federal funding, federal grants, federal anything. There's no longer a need for anyone in Washington to spend any money on any of the other states. It won't cost anyone an election.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:13 pm

bmw wrote:

I have a few....

Good ideas, maybe they should have two different voting machines that read same ballots. That way they run them through both machines and if they get the same number then it's legit.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:59 pm

bmw wrote:

I have a few....

1. Maybe. Depends what you mean for unsolicited.

Absolutely not for #2. I know people in factories that work from 8 AM to 8 PM five days a week. So, they can't vote because they are working poor? Get that shit out of here.

#3: What if someone is going on vacation for several months and still wants to vote? I know seniors who do trips for that long. No on #3.

4. I am sorry, but you cannot dismantle the postal system to avoid getting ballots from people in urban areas. Urban areas have mail backed up weeks right now. No!

5. I am fine with universal voter machines provided that they are built in America and fully inspected.

6. If you want a paper trail, there is no easier way. People need to get out of the "I want it now" mindset. COUNT EVERY VOTE.

7. There are two observers from both parties. There already are safeguards.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 pm
TheForce wrote:

You should only be able to vote ONE TIME in each election, despite what the leftists practice.

If we move to the popular vote, then just let NY and CA have the election and eliminate the votes from everybody else.
You ARE only able to vote one time in an election.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 am
km1125 wrote:
TheForce wrote:

You ARE only supposed to be able to vote one time in an election.
FIFY

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:32 am

km1125 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 am
Rate This wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 am
km1125 wrote:
TheForce wrote:

You ARE only supposed to be able to vote one time in an election.
FIFY
People don’t vote twice. There are mechanisms in place that prevent that from happening even if two ballots were submitted.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

Well, I won't argue about the pros and cons of mail ballots. But this is the first year I voted early at City Hall. I'll be voting early from now on. Walked in, got a ballot, filled it out right in the lobby, turned it in. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 pm

When did convenience become a right?

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:37 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 pm
When did convenience become a right?
Then make Election Day a national holiday where EVERYTHING shuts down. Otherwise you have to have alternatives in place.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 am

Let's not let NY Times subscribers vote.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 am
Let's not let NY Times subscribers vote.
+1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic