Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 Alternative!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
szmigiel

Re: 98.7 Alternative!

Post by szmigiel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Alt now means grunge and beyond music. What was Alternative before grunge has become a lost format.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:25 pm

I agree. Demand for "new wave" era alternative is ultra niche, especially in a place like Michigan. WPLT in its short lived "Classic Alternative" phase focused on that era and was a spectacular ratings flop.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Fuck me, MW. That's a Goddamn list I would have come up with myself.

Alas, 10 minutes ago we heard Marshmello or whatever and juice world again. Come on, man.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:41 pm

According to every corporate radio station, apparently every last rock song released in the early to late 2000s is "Alternative"

Music is my life.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:25 pm
I agree. Demand for "new wave" era alternative is ultra niche, especially in a place like Michigan. WPLT in its short lived "Classic Alternative" phase focused on that era and was a spectacular ratings flop.
Not even talking about the Synth and Post Punk that made up the "New Wave" or MTV Boom. But the Alt charts that started in 1988. Bands like, REM, INXS, Midnight Oil, Love and Rockets, The Cure, Jesus Jones, Concert Blonde, KLF, They Might Be Giants, etc... All bands "the Cutting Edge of Rock" Started with and were still a big part of the playlist even durning the raise of grunge.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:02 pm

I heard a bit today since I returned home. The signal comes in starting around Perrysburg (never knew that- I never think of 98.7 normally). Too much emo crap and rap-rock. It gets a preset for now, if only to see if they start playing better music.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Other artists an "alternative" station in Detroit should be playing to have a shot at success:
Garbage
Veruca Salt
Beck (more than just "Loser." How about "Where It's At?")
Letters to Cleo
Cake
Soul Coughing
The Rentals
The Cult
The Wallflowers
Collective Soul
Filter
Better Than Ezra
Live
Helmet

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:11 pm

MW’s artists would have me tune in more, that’s for sure. As long as there isn’t much Green Day... I have never liked them even in their prime 25 years ago.

thatonedude

98.7 Alternative!

Post by thatonedude » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Damn, MW. They oughta let you program it. Not a single artist on that list I wouldn’t listen to.

I know someone at Entercom Detroit is reading this; THESE are the artists you should be playing in addition to what you have now.

fuzzpower, I gotta disagree with you on the Green Day. Personally, I’d like for them to play more songs from the pre-American Idiot era.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 pm

Anyone mention "She Don't Use Jelly"? Because that needs to be on there.

Also, Superdrag "Sucked Out". If MW and I out our heads together, we could remember every forgotten 90s tune that got brushed aside.

-TurkeyTop

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Other artists an "alternative" station in Detroit should be playing to have a shot at success:
Garbage
Veruca Salt
Beck (more than just "Loser." How about "Where It's At?")
Letters to Cleo
Cake
Soul Coughing
The Rentals
The Cult
The Wallflowers
Collective Soul
Filter
Better Than Ezra
Live
Helmet
Great list MW lets hope 98.7 is listening.

Dont know why Entercom is recycling a failed station ALT 106.7 , they should have brought back an old fav in the vein of a Wheelz and that would be the Planet.....Planet 98.7 would have sounded better imo.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

thatonedude

98.7 Alternative!

Post by thatonedude » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Whoever the genius is that’s messing around with the processing needs to stop. Tired of fucking with the EQ settings on my radio (it’s usually kept at a flat setting, however that doesn’t work for 98.7; it sounds like absolute garbage).

Wishing we had gotten an XRT clone instead. I know it would’ve shit the bed ratings-wise, but damn it would’ve been a great listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 pm

The Goddamn signal is picket fencing something fierce in Brighton tonight. Even messing with the antenna isn't helping.

Was nice to hear Smells Like Teen Spirit on there tonight. Been 25 years since I heard that on 98.7

Also, the Chili Peppers have more songs than Can't Stop. Just tossing that out there.

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:49 am

I heard Foster The People earlier this morning. That was nice. One of the fewer newer bands I like. I agree with MW's list, but I would add Depche Mode, Psychedelic Furs, and REM. But that's just me....

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

mkhopper

Post by mkhopper » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:36 pm

So long as we're coming up with lists of what bands should be on a decent alternative station, I'll add some.

Moloko
Sisters of Mercy
The Cult
iio
Cold
The Crystal Method
Our Lady Peace
Sloan
Puddle of Mudd
The Alarm
Social Distortion
Was (Not Was)
Tragically Hip (I know this was mentioned, but they're too good not to be brought up again)
XTC
Eels
Amanda Marshall
Seven Mary Three
Saliva
Fountains of Wayne (Anything but Stacy's Mom... They have so many decent singles to pick from, I don't get how this one track is the only one ever played)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic