Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Online Newspaper Subscriptions

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 4520

Online Newspaper Subscriptions

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:26 pm

I was considering subscribing to the NY Times. They have a promotion going on now for $1/week for a year and you are billed $4 every 4 weeks. Keep in mind this is just a digital subscription. That said, have you ever subscribed to any online papers currently or in the past? Which ones and what were your experiences with them?

Turkeytop

Re: Online Newspaper Subscriptions

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 pm

I subscribe to the print edition of the Toronto Globe & Mail. So I automatically have access to the online version too. I prefer the real paper. The online version is no substitute.

When we're in Florida we subscribe to the print edition of the Tampa Bay Times. After the start of the pandemic, their advertising revenue dropped so badly, they reduced the print edition to 2 days per week. The rest of the week is online only.
When we go back, I won't subscribe again. I'll buy the Sunday paper from a news box.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:18 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:26 pm
I was considering subscribing to the NY Times. They have a promotion going on now for $1/week for a year and you are billed $4 every 4 weeks. Keep in mind this is just a digital subscription. That said, have you ever subscribed to any online papers currently or in the past? Which ones and what were your experiences with them?
Subscribe to the WSJ. Maybe you'll learn something.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Subscribe to the WSJ. Maybe you'll learn something.

I got a complimentary copy of WSJ at a hotel where I stayed. I expected it to be right wing, pro-capitalist, just like my Globe & Mail. But I didn't expect it to be so snarky.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:36 pm

We have subscriptions to NY Times, Washington Post, Freep and The Record Eagle.

In general, TV news is entertainment, while papers still cover the boring stuff that actually impacts our lives.

Of those, the New York Times is hands down the best.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 pm

I used to have a subscription to Newspapers.com, but the like 70 dollars a year was getting a bit much
(I had to pay 70 because I needed to access features like advanced keyword search and the cut out stuff.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Those prime time cable news shows are pretty much all infotainment...people talking and yelling over one another, and people mistake the opinions and views from the commentators as actual news. Each host interjects their own opinions and agendas. I ended up subscribing today and installed the app on both my iPhone and iPad.
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:36 pm

In general, TV news is entertainment, while papers still cover the boring stuff that actually impacts our lives.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Those prime time cable news shows are pretty much all infotainment...people talking and yelling over one another, and people mistake the opinions and views from the commentators as actual news. Each host interjects their own opinions and agendas. I ended up subscribing today and installed the app on both my iPhone and iPad.
TC Talks wrote:

it's a whole universe of knowledge.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:44 pm

TheForce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

You would have been better off lighting $52 on fire.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 pm

WSJ is a decent paper, but I find it too driven on commerce and real estate. Financial Times or Barron's are much better.

I used to have a Barron's subscription but I have found there are some web resources that get me where I need to be.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:24 pm

I was reading about the Cern Hadron Super Collider and about the Higgs Boson. Neat stuff!
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:35 pm
TheForce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

it's a whole universe of knowledge.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:26 pm

Commerce and real estate don't really interest me.
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 pm
WSJ is a decent paper, but I find it too driven on commerce and real estate. Financial Times or Barron's are much better.

I used to have a Barron's subscription but I have found there are some web resources that get me where I need to be.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 am

It's beyond annoying have to pay for all the good stuff now. Seems like this is a result of the net neutrality legislation? Or am I wrong?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 am
It's beyond annoying have to pay for all the good stuff now. Seems like this is a result of the net neutrality legislation? Or am I wrong?
You are wrong. The smart companies have had a pay model for a long time. The others (freep, news, mlive) went to a pay model decades late, likely from the loss of advertising revenue linked to the pandemic.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 pm

The NYT paper wasn't my first online subscription I've had. For a time I subscribed to the digital publications of St. Ignace News, Lapeer County Press, and Tuscola County Advertiser. Also currently I subscribe to the print edition of the Mayville Monitor (from Tuscola County).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic