Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP 89X

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: RIP 89X

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:28 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:26 pm
thatonedude wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm
I turned 98.7 back on a little while ago. Hearing some decent gold and after adjusting speaker settings, audio now sounds pretty good.

I won't completely write off this station; might be good enough for preset #6 in the car (same one the Breeze occupied before going Xmas music).
I mean...if you consider Jimmy Eat World and "Stacey's Mom" gold....
Those songs are almost 20 years old.

I can’t believe I just said that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually know a 25 year old that likes lots of older alternative. There is hope for that generation yet.
Red Hot Chili Peppers played earlier
(When I accidently turned it on expecting Breeze Christmas music)

Music is my life.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Been streaming on and off for the last couple hours and it’s not bad. The gold tracks are good, but hearing quite a few currents that had me racing for the off button. This sounds like a low 2-share at best, but I’ll preset it for when I’m in the area again.

And I agree with Mega Hertz, the sweepers making X references made me chuckle.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:41 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm
I turned 98.7 back on a little while ago. Hearing some decent gold and after adjusting speaker settings, audio now sounds pretty good.

I won't completely write off this station; might be good enough for preset #6 in the car (same one the Breeze occupied before going Xmas music).
I mean...if you consider Jimmy Eat World and "Stacey's Mom" gold....
Those songs are almost 20 years old.

I can’t believe I just said that...

I actually know a 25 year old that likes lots of older alternative. There is hope for that generation yet.
I’m in my early 20s and classic alt is a (not so) guilty pleasure of mine.

take this job and shove it

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm
Been streaming on and off for the last couple hours and it’s not bad. The gold tracks are good, but hearing quite a few currents that had me racing for the off button. This sounds like a low 2-share at best, but I’ll preset it for when I’m in the area again.
Currents like this Guantanamo "Dance Monkey" song? https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/tones- ... nce-monkey

Shit, I would confess to whatever you accused me of if you tortured me with that shit on repeat.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:48 pm

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm
Chrocket87 wrote:
Currents like this Guantanamo "Dance Monkey" song? https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/tones- ... nce-monkey

Shit, I would confess to whatever you accused me of if you tortured me with that shit on repeat.
That "song" does not even fit the definition of music.
90 percent of the absolute shit playing on Top 40 radio is not even music. It's just noises.
Can you say brainwashing or what?
This is definitely not on accident nor that artist's just suck now.

Music is my life.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:48 pm
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm
Chrocket87 wrote:

That "song" does not even fit the definition of music.
90 percent of the absolute shit playing on Top 40 radio is not even music. It's just noises.
Can you say brainwashing or what?
This is definitely not on accident nor that artist's just suck now.
While we disagree on most stuff politically, you have a point. Music means nothing now. A couple beats, noises, and bass lines.....

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:06 pm

My Facebook timeline has blown up with so many of my fellow 30 somethings angry as hell about 89X.

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Heard Presidents of the USA and Oasis in the 3PM hour.

Sadly, I heard Panic! at the Disco and Twenty One Pilots earlier in the day. I especially hate the first artist.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:10 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:10 pm
Both stations only mention Windsor in the imaging. They've punted Detroit.
Bleh.
Next.
BellMedia had already abandoned Detroit at around the same time they got the iHeartRadio franchise in Canada, any references to Detroit on 88.7/93.9 were mostly artifacts from prior to that move. So they are operating 88.7 as the country station for Windsor and 93.9 as the CHR for Windsor, the Detroit competitors might as well not exist.

Honestly, and partly due to geoblocking on the proprietary app, you won't see cross-border marketing for either US or Canadian operators, regardless on how good their signals may be on both sides of the river. Sad but true.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Heard No Doubt and Third Eye Blind.
And Dance Monkey.
I'm out before I was even in
:barf .

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Spacehog. Letters To Cleo. Folk Implosion. Hum. Refreshments. Nada Surf. Beck. Dinosaur Jr. Rage Against the Machine. Green Day. Smashing Pumpkins. RHCP. Blink 182. Sum 41. Eminem.

Some forgotten, some not. All of whom I heard first on 89x.

I think there's a cultural significance here, also. Nobody gives a shit about new rock music anymore. And the formats that we're changed today (both rock based) turned into what everyone seems to want now. Name the last full fledged rock band that was big. I mean REALLY big.

Exactly.

We're down to WRIF, who I believe is only still around because of the heritage calls. And when you listen to the newer product, it's forgettable and it sounds like the last new rock song played. Detroit Rock City? More like Detroit Country City or Detroit CHR City. Everyone in the suburbs either wants to be rural or urban.

Also, in addition, where I live, I can get country on 88.7, 93.1, 94.1, 95.1, 95.9, 99.5, 102.9...and that's just what I can think of. A can get a faint 99.9 if I move the antenna just right. Also, 95.5, 93.9, 97.5 and 102.5 all reliably come in here.

But, hey, maybe 9 signals will be enough. We'll see.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 pm

You forgot about 100.7 WITL for country. ;)

At least you get 94.1 Duke FM...but yeah, most of those stations you named play the same crap.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 pm
You forgot about 100.7 WITL for country. ;)

At least you get 94.1 Duke FM...but yeah, most of those stations you named play the same crap.
DAMMIT! I KNEW I was forgetting one!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:46 pm

So, I heard the Verve, Blink182, the 1975, AJR, and Coldplay just now on 98.7 Seems like they are a corporate version of 89X plus a dash of 93.9, hold the Canadians from both.

Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:55 pm

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm
Why the hell did we go from 1 country station to 4? How can Detroit sustain them all? I don't get these moves.
More 94 was Country.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic