Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 Alternative!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radioandtventhusiast

Re: 98.7 Alternative!

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm
It's hardly a secret that "alternative" is David Field's favorite format. This directive undoubtedly came down from the top, coupled with, I am sure, budgetary shenanigans.
Not just alternative, but country too. Both are Entercom's favorite formats.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:12 pm

As I said in the 89X section, I am not around to listen at the moment, but if they’re loading up on Billie Eilish crap, emo and snowflake music it won’t be earning a preset.

mjb1124

Post by mjb1124 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Entercom (and its format captain Mike Kaplan) has destroyed whatever credibility Alternative had left as a commercial format. See here:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/ ... io-station

and also here

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1974 ... perations/

Also, R.I.P. 98.7 The Breeze, I loved their JAM jingles.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm

I am honestly amazed that 98.7 pulled this stunt to try to grab some of the 89X listeners. It absolutely won’t work, and I’m sure the format is garbage. But still, in the current landscape of terrestrial radio with tumbleweeds blowing around everywhere, IMO it's a minor miracle that a corporate player would still make a split decision, in probably less than a full day, to change a format. And to record promos rubbing it in.

It's like they're trying, but also not trying. Imagine if these suits actually cared enough to put the time into locally programming music that mattered. It's kind of a weird game. Like trying to relive the good old days of a 1980s-style radio feud (ie the promos making fun of the 89X switch) but only on the surface.

"Hell, this will be fun as long as we don't actually have to spend any money!"

Agreed that whatever it is that 98.7 is playing will never substitute for 89X, and will fail. 98.7 sounds like more of a mainstream alt format in 2020. For better or worse. IMO that's actually what alt music is now... "snowflake music," according to this forum. If you've listen to Alt Nation on SiriusXM, you'll see what I mean. But yeah, to bring that in, in Detroit, to angle for the fans of a station that had morphed into mostly active rock? Good luck with that. 98.7 might as well have switched to country too, why not? 😂

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:51 pm

mjb1124 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:16 pm
Also, R.I.P. 98.7 The Breeze, I loved their JAM jingles.
I have HD radio in my car, so I listen to WNIC-HD2. I am pretty sure WNIC's "Sunny Radio" and The Breeze had the identical jingles.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:33 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm
I am honestly amazed that 98.7 pulled this stunt to try to grab some of the 89X listeners. It absolutely won’t work, and I’m sure the format is garbage. But still, in the current landscape of terrestrial radio with tumbleweeds blowing around everywhere, IMO it's a minor miracle that a corporate player would still make a split decision, in probably less than a full day, to change a format. And to record promos rubbing it in.

It's like they're trying, but also not trying. Imagine if these suits actually cared enough to put the time into locally programming music that mattered. It's kind of a weird game. Like trying to relive the good old days of a 1980s-style radio feud (ie the promos making fun of the 89X switch) but only on the surface.

Agreed that whatever it is that 98.7 is playing will never substitute for 89X, and will fail. 98.7 sounds like more of a mainstream alt format in 2020. For better or worse. IMO that's actually what alt music is now... "snowflake music," according to this forum. If you've listen to Alt Nation on SiriusXM, you'll see what I mean. But yeah, to bring that in, in Detroit, to angle for the fans of a station that had morphed into mostly active rock? Good luck with that. 98.7 might as well have switched to country too, why not? 😂
That's the other thing. I am surprised that they didn't wait until after Christmas to flip. I HATE Christmas music, but Detroiters love it. Why not wait until January 1st and then get more publicity for your flip? Or were they just worried too many people would be gone to Sirius XM if that happened?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:33 pm
BFSEsq wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm

That's the other thing. I am surprised that they didn't wait until after Christmas to flip. I HATE Christmas music, but Detroiters love it. Why not wait until January 1st and then get more publicity for your flip? Or were they just worried too many people would be gone to Sirius XM if that happened?
They did this same thing in November of 2018 and then seemed confused as to why nobody was listening.

They were so desperate for high Christmas music ratings that they started playing on Halloween. Then they do this and piss off all the businesses that had them on, who are now all going to switch to WNIC.
Lol what.
Are they that delusional that they think the Christmas listeners are going to decide to keep on alternative instead of switch?

Music is my life.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm

Yeah, great point. You're going to leave the all-Christmas format, which gets H*** ratings in Detroit, to WNIC alone? A switch from The Breeze to all-Xmas is a natural fit. Seems like it could've gotten them some good ratings.

Entercom really is delusional to make a quick switch to alternative. They probably think it's easy money. "Heck, why be the 2nd Christmas station when we can be the only alternative station?" Great logic, except Detroit tends to prefer harder rock, and ignores alt stations like yours. Remember Alt 106.7? That really wasn't that long ago.

CometGSR

Post by CometGSR » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Did they do something fun when they switched over? Go from Smooth Operator to Green Day in 1 minute?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm

CometGSR wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm
Did they do something fun when they switched over? Go from Smooth Operator to Green Day in 1 minute?
I remember when CVS/Arbor Drugs would always pipe in V98.7. Dang, that Kenny G was stylin'. :lol

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 pm

CometGSR wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm
Wasn't paying that much attention, but I think it was a hard cut from the Christmas music to the new format. First song was "Lose Yourself" (one Eminem song I am absolutely tired of hearing).

take this job and shove it

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 pm

89X didn’t have great numbers. In Detroit, it was around a 1.0 a few years ago, it was probably even lower since they started ignoring the city. It didn’t draw well in Windsor either. Why they think grabbing this small amount of listeners is a good idea makes no sense, unless they think they can pick off a little from WRIF.

1.5 share is my prediction.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:15 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 pm
89X didn’t have great numbers. In Detroit, it was around a 1.0 a few years ago, it was probably even lower since they started ignoring the city. It didn’t draw well in Windsor either. Why they think grabbing this small amount of listeners is a good idea makes no sense, unless they think they can pick off a little from WRIF.

1.5 share is my prediction.
That right there is Corporate Radio 101 (no pun intended). Don't try and win. Don't try and eliminate the competition. Just shave a share or two off the top dog, be a flanker or placeholder, bring down another company's station shares, pipe in programming, replicate the playlist from Dallas or Seattle, do it as cheaply as possible, make a small profit, flip it again in a couple of years, wash, rinse, repeat.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 pm

Maybe they wanted a station where they have to spend as little as possible and do the least amount work.
With an AC station, you gotta do the whole shebang, which they clearly did not want to with the Breeze.
Alternative is driven by just the music and can be voice tracked, or automated, blabla.
The alternative demographic doesn't want to hear local jocks chit chat/gossip all morning or fun jingles, and have prize winning days, etc.

Music is my life.

1alexalway

Post by 1alexalway » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:45 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 pm
Maybe they wanted a station where they have to spend as little as possible and do the least amount work.
With an AC station, you gotta do the whole shebang, which they clearly did not want to with the Breeze.
Alternative is driven by just the music and can be voice tracked, or automated, blabla.
The alternative demographic doesn't want to hear local jocks chit chat/gossip all morning or fun jingles, and have prize winning days, etc.
stopnswop2 wrote:
[/qu
stopnswop2 wrote:

The one thing that helped make 89X popular in the 2000s-2017 when they closed down American operations was the DJ rotation. Cal Cagno Jay Hudson etc. Giveaways for concert tickets are usually popular and were on 89X. As far as the morning, Dave and Chuck were extremely popular in both countries. When they left it created a significant hole in their lineup by having to move everyone around.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic