Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gardenhire retires with eight games left to play; cites job related stress

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Gardenhire retires with eight games left to play; cites job related stress

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:14 pm

I guess being on the losing side of 19-0 and 13-0 (I think) maulings within the past few weeks and being on the verge of dropping yet another series to the Indians will do that to a guy...

It also sounds like he did not enjoy traveling in this COVID-19 world in which we find ourselves.

I'm not sure I completely buy the story he wanted to quit on the spot. There were only eight games left and his contract was due to expire.

Chris Ilitch is cheap. I think Avila asked Gardenhire to step down immediately because these next several games will be a job audition for Lloyd McClendon.

Deleted User 4520

Re: Gardenhire retires with eight games left to play; cites job related stress

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:42 pm

I'm not sure what to make of all this. Is McClendon in the running?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:42 pm

I thought that Ron Gardenhire wasn't going to finish the rebuild of the Tigers. I thought he was done last year kinda surprised that he didn't retire last year.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:37 am

Translation: He doesn't like wearing a mask.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:11 am

He does not strike me as that type of person. Quite the contrary, actually.

He is very concerned for his health; he made that clear from the get go.

Yes, I do think McClendon has a real chance of being the Tigers' next skipper. They're cheap. He's already on staff. He has managerial experience with the Mariners and at the AAA level with Toledo. Would be analogous (in some respects) to the Wings promoting Blashill from G.R. to the parent organization several years back.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:11 am
He does not strike me as that type of person. Quite the contrary, actually.

He is very concerned for his health; he made that clear from the get go.

Yes, I do think McClendon has a real chance of being the Tigers' next skipper. They're cheap. He's already on staff. He has managerial experience with the Mariners and at the AAA level with Toledo. Would be analogous (in some respects) to the Wings promoting Blashill from G.R. to the parent organization several years back.
Blashill was a hot commodity and hiring him was the move EVERYONE wanted. Its not really his fault he's been stuck with Holland's horrible roster management for most of his time here.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:05 am

I was certainly in favor of Blashill's promotion at the time. However, he should've been fired after this past season (or sooner).

MLive (a/k/a Matt's favorite news outlet) endorses the notion that McClendon is in the running:
When the Tigers beat the Indians Saturday night, McClendon officially picked up his 500th win as a manager -- and first with the Tigers. He said he’d like to manage again and will almost certainly be among those interviewed by Avila.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:56 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:11 am
Besides, he's a charter member of Leyland's Pittsburgh connection. Yes, the old skipper still has pull in the organization.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am

Valid point.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:45 am

Holly Horning's blog from yesterday (Sept. 21) more than just suggests it wasn't Gardy's decision to retire! :shock:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:45 am

I think Gardenhire told Avila he was going to retire at the end of the reason, and Avila told him "you're done immediately," because he wanted to give McClendon an audition.

I think "Plan A" all along (not saying it is necessarily the only plan in their arsenal or that it is a 100% lock) is to have McClendon succeed Gardenhire.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Gardenhire wasn't a winner anyways. McClendon had very little firepower in the Mariners team he was given. Why not? He's better than Assmus at least.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:50 pm

McClendon failed with Pittsburgh, failed with Seattle, heck, failed with the Mud Hens. Other than being animated when thrown out of games, he offers nothing. I’d rather have an up and coming minor league manager over yet another retread.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Pittsburgh and Seattle, exactly!

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:42 pm

McClendon failed with Pittsburgh, failed with Seattle, heck, failed with the Mud Hens. Other than being animated when thrown out of games, he offers nothing. I’d rather have an up and coming minor league manager over yet another retread.
I completely agree; I definitely hope the organization goes in a different direction. They sure as hell better not hire Don Kelly, though!!!
Gardenhire wasn't a winner anyways.
He racked up an impressive regular reason W-L record with the Twins, but didn't see much success in the postseason.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic