Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLDR Renewal Applications

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Deleted User 12047

WLDR Renewal Applications

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:54 am

which can be viewed online, includes the following affirmations...
Adherence to Minimum Operating Schedule

Licensee certifies that, during the preceding license term,
the station has not been silent (or operating for less than its
prescribed minimum operating hours) for any period of more
than 30 days.

Yes

Silent Station

Licensee certifies that the station is currently on the air
broadcasting programming intended to be received by the
public.

Yes
Can this be confirmed by ANYBODY???????????????????????? :shock:

TC Talks

Re: WLDR Renewal Applications

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:38 am

I suspect that "Logs" were kept. It would be harder to disprove.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm

For better or for worse, the FCC did grant the WLDR renewal yesterday (9/16). As one would expect, it's for the full term until 10/1/2028.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:21 am

statmanmi wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm
For better or for worse, the FCC did grant the WLDR renewal yesterday (9/16). As one would expect, it's for the full term until 10/1/2028.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
It just goes to show you the FCC cares more about collecting regulatory fees and fines than it does enforcing the moral turpitude clause it imposes on broadcast station owners. I imagine most may agree, someone like Roy Henderson has no business owning stations if there's no intent to operate them. His COL's have likely long forgotten they have stations licensed to serve their communities. And, because no one in those communities is listening to those stations, when they are occasionally turned on -- at a time when the license renewal scripts must be read -- no one is hearing them. In sad truth, no one, other than broadcasters, seem to care whether they are on or not.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:55 am

I largely agree. The FCC doesn't give two shits about complaints from the general public; the complaint submittal form is a ruse. If a civilian makes a submission via the form, an FCC employee will respond stating that complaints of such nature must come from a broadcast station or licensed broadcast engineer.

Competing broadcasters could give two shits that 101.9 WLDR is off the air; it's less competition for them!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:16 pm

The only way to lose your license is to not fix a transmitting issue, then ask for reduced power STA's for about 6 years; then when you aren't going to fix your ground system and transmit at rated power, the FCC will finally call-in your license, and like right now, too. That's what happened with WTOD-AM//WLQR-AM.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:48 am

Competing broadcasters could give two shits that 101.9 WLDR is off the air; it's less competition for them!
WLDR has one of the best signals in TC and certainly competed in the past. It will be interesting to see if the legal battle continues between the LMA company and the current owner.

Milk

Post by Milk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:42 am

According to records, their next meeting is on October 1.

If it goes back on the air, I wonder if their AC format will continue. Their ratings sucked when it was.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:02 pm

From a casual observer's point of view, Roy's plan, whatever it may be, varies from year to year, depending on with whom he is trying to seek revenge. As we all know, it always backfires, and turns into a game of "I'm rubber, you're glue..." :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:15 am

Mark Elliott wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:48 am
WLDR has one of the best signals in TC and certainly competed in the past. It will be interesting to see if the legal battle continues between the LMA company and the current owner.
If not for the legal battle, I wonder if CMU Public Radio would have looked at 101.9 instead of 94.3.

Also, when WLDR was competitive, there were quite a few less stations in the market.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:06 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:15 am
If not for the legal battle, I wonder if CMU Public Radio would have looked at 101.9 instead of 94.3.
Ask yourself, if you were CMU who would want to work with? A motivated seller who wants cash now and will discount quicker than a hooker with rent due, or a litigious out of town owner who doesn't seem to keep his word?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:36 pm

CMU needs a facility to fill in the terrain holes in Traverse City. Not create more overlap with their other signals. They already have too much overlap, especially WWCM 96.9 Standish. The WLDR 101.9 100 kW signal would be going way overboard.

CMU claimed that WCMZ-TV Channel 28 wasn't needed and auctioned off the channel. It provided a much better signal to 500,000+ people, where there is only marginal service from other PBS signals, including their Bad Axe station where the transmitter is 30-40 miles away on UHF, which is prima facie marginal in the best of UHF cases. You have to use Longley Rice prediction at a minimum, not the 60+ year old FCC propagation model used before computers were widely available. The F(50,90) contours are an inadequate statistical recycling of the old model, really not a new propagation prediction method. This is particularly inadequate for not only UHF, but digital TV signals. TVFool prediction at a location in Central Genesee County, with a 30 foot tower, the predicted WCMZ-TV signal is over 36 dB stronger than WDCQ-TV. That means that WDCQ would have to have 800,000,000 watts (800 million watts) ERP to have the same signal strength as WCMZ-TV did at that location, which is a typical location, not one picked to create a H*** differential.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 pm

Today a FCC filing for WLDR on behalf of N CONTENT MARKETING, LLC was made of an Engineering STA to broadcast from a 60 foot height at their studio (once I cross-referenced the NAD27 location):

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... _num=24974

Explanation given: "WLDR-FM NO LONGER HAS A LEASE AGREEMENT ON ITS LICENSED TOWER AND PRESENTLY DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE LICENSED SITE."

Google Street View confirmed for me that indeed there seems to be a tower that tall on their premises by West Bay:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/WLDR+ ... 85.6413701

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Losing WLDR's tower site has to be the most boneheaded thing Roy has done so far. That giant blunder basically spells out "Game Over" :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Even worse is that he owned the tower site and lost it to a tax foreclosure a few years ago.

He was going to be evicted but something was worked out.

I sincerely don't think anyone is managing his properties.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic