Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fire! Fire! Heh-heh. (Korean automobiles)

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Fire! Fire! Heh-heh. (Korean automobiles)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:54 am

The automotive press has been having multiple orgasms over late model Kias and Hyundais lately. Some publications rank the brands in the top five or just outside the top five in terms of reliability.

Here's proof that the automotive press - as usual - is largely clueless:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 467802001/

Quote:
For the second time this month, Hyundai is telling some SUV owners to park outdoors because an electrical short in a computer could cause vehicles to catch fire.

The Korean automaker is recalling about 180,000 Tucson SUVs in the U.S. from 2019 through 2021 to fix the problem. The company says corrosion can cause a short circuit in defective anti-lock brake circuit boards that can cause a fire even if engines are off.

(snip)

On Sept. 3, U.S. safety regulators announced that Hyundai and Kia would recall over 600,000 vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to fix a brake fluid leak that could cause engine fires.

(snip)

In February, Hyundai recalled nearly 430,000 small cars for a similar problem. The company said water can get into the antilock brake computer, cause an electrical short and possibly an engine fire. That recall covered certain 2006 through 2011 Elantra and 2007 through 2011 Elantra Touring vehicles.

The company said the electrical short could cause a fire even when the cars are turned off.

In April of 2019, NHTSA opened two new investigations into fires involving Hyundai and Kia vehicles after getting complaints of more than 3,100 fires and 103 injuries.
Gee - those situations don't strike me as hallmarks of "reliability."

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

audiophile

Re: Fire! Fire! Heh-heh. (Korean automobiles)

Post by audiophile » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:16 pm

The automotive press probably couldn't figure out how to change the oil if their life depended on it.

I friends that had a Kia mini-van catch on fire in their garage ten years ago. Luckily they were still awake and put it out with a garden hose.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:21 pm

The automotive press probably couldn't figure out how to change the oil if their life depended on it.
Ain't that the truth!
I friends that had a Kia mini-van catch on fire in their garage ten years ago. Luckily they were still awake and put it out with a garden hose.
YIKES. Glad to hear they were not harmed.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Any vehicle I buy has to be Union built in North America.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Like any other merchandise, the ones that get the highest ratings are the ones the vendor gave freebies up. Bet ya those same writers have been wined and dined and got tickets to places and that sort of thing.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 pm

I'm a Chrysler guy at heart, but my last three vehicles have been GM. Boring as hell but reliable. They haven't given me a minute of trouble.

With my late father, Chrysler was like a religion. He'd be turning over in his grave if he knew I was driving GM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 pm

I had a Hyundai Ssnta Fe and had over 300K when I gave it away to a friend in need. Still driving it from what I know.

The censorship king from out of state.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 pm
I had a Hyundai Ssnta Fe and had over 300K when I gave it away to a friend in need. Still driving it from what I know.
You're a good dude.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic