Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Matt Sheppard

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Wildbill

Re: Matt Sheppard

Post by Wildbill » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:16 pm

I think Matt is okay.We have to get rid of Jack Morris and Dan Petry.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:16 pm

Matt is good. I always enjoyed him calling the MHSAA football title games. I agree with getting rid of Jack Morris(who was a HOF pitcher but horrible commentator) and keeping Petry in the studio/post game role.
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 pm

After listening to Shepherd screwing up calls in his play by play the past 3-4 games, he’s not getting any better at all. I don’t care that he’s a local boy - he’s just horrible and not improving. Get Mario back and have Matt switch off with Mickey and Keating on the pre and post game show given his contract.

joe60

Post by joe60 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Are the announcers actually at the game or watching it remotely?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Almost all announcers in MLB are in remotely.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:35 pm

When the Tigers are playing at home, their TV announcers are at Comerica Park. If they’re on the road, they’re in the Fox Sports Detroit studio in Southfield.

Radio announcers for all games, home and road, are broadcasting from Comerica Park

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:57 am

Bring back Mario. Leave Allen wherever he is. Morris and Gibby are fine. I agree that I miss the days when the game was described without all the hyperbole. When it comes to Gibson and Morris, remember how god-awful Al Kaline was when he joined the TV booth in the 70s. Somehow he managed to be part of a beloved and much missed TV team that we affectionately called "George and Al." When the games were on PASS, it was good to be able to see the game. But the "George and Al" games on local tv were the gems.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Watching the Tigers “Memorable Moments show from 2000 and beyond” during a rain delay while working at home. Wife happened to be home for lunch. They showed a clip with Mario doing the play by play and she even remarked out loud, “God I miss Mario. Bring him back.” Can’t disagree one bit.

RadioDork1

Post by RadioDork1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:13 pm

Shep is horrible. Constantly, two outs thinking there is 3. Did it again tonight. Can't judge a ball hit in the outfield. Ball hit to right...Jacoby is there. He s standing two steps to the left in center. He asks questions like he is on his radio show. So Jack, now when you were pitching...yes you can't always have silence. The great one's let the game come to them. This year is harder with no fans, last year was just as worse.

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:39 am

RayQix wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 am
I think in the PC world we are in..... Rod n Mario is done.
Mario is employed by the Red Sox in a back-up role. I think he will eventually be back on the air full time somewhere.

krupper

Post by krupper » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 am

Mario Impemba lasted one season in Boston. He is a free agent in 2020. Story from The Detroit News from January 31: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 624261002/

jsf

Post by jsf » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:33 am

RadioDork1 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Shep is horrible. Constantly, two outs thinking there is 3. Did it again tonight. Can't judge a ball hit in the outfield. Ball hit to right...Jacoby is there. He s standing two steps to the left in center. He asks questions like he is on his radio show. So Jack, now when you were pitching...yes you can't always have silence. The great one's let the game come to them. This year is harder with no fans, last year was just as worse.
I heard that too, he was ready to go to a commercial with 2 outs, the only thing worse is Cabera being the first out of an inning at home last week.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:19 pm

jsf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:33 am
RadioDork1 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:13 pm
I heard that too, he was ready to go to a commercial with 2 outs, the only thing worse is Cabera being the first out of an inning at home last week.
I caught that also. His voice sure acted like that was 3rd out and cutting to commercial, guess he didn't notice the players remaining on the field cause another out to go. Yes I thought he was ok last year but he sure gets extra hyper over home runs and such. I miss Mario as well.

briangoleb

Post by briangoleb » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Tried to watch the game today but Sheppard is just so hard to listen to. Not just a homer but not really knowledgeable about baseball. I would rather have no announcer.

BME

Post by BME » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:36 pm

briangoleb wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:54 pm
Tried to watch the game today but Sheppard is just so hard to listen to. Not just a homer but not really knowledgeable about baseball. I would rather have no announcer.
I could tolerate him Shepard's lack of knowledge if he weren't such a relentless shill for the Tigers. I prefer the more-professional approach of Ernie Harwell, who you knew wanted the Tigers to win but didn't hit you over the head with it.

Shepard is, unfortunately, our version of Hawk Harrelson, who was the worst baseball announcer in the majors. At least you could excuse Harrelson's homerism because he was an ex-MLB player who had been the Chisox GM. Shepard had to have been trained to announce in a more objective manner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic