Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

B-93 Birthday Bash Postponed/Canceled. Again

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Reese K Rickards

B-93 Birthday Bash Postponed/Canceled. Again

Post by Reese K Rickards » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:35 pm

B-93 says: The health and welfare of our visitors, vendors and staff is our priority. The Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting mandates of the State of Michigan made this difficult decision necessary, but WBCT-FM – B.93.7 has postponed the date for Birthday Bash which was to be held on August 29, 2020 to June of 2021. Line-up subject to change.

If you have purchased tickets for Birthday Bash 2020 held on the original date on June 20,2020 or the rescheduled date on August 29, 2020 they will still be good for the 2021 show. You may also request a refund for tickets.

I remember when visitors, vendors and staff were called, The Listener Family. Anemic as it is, the lineup will be difficult to re-book.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

BayCityJohn2337

Re: B-93 Birthday Bash Postponed/Canceled. Again

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:47 pm

I think the llistener family ended, when the voice tracking started 24 7 and all the staff we use to love was shown the door. Reese you where part of Radio when radio was. The morning boys will never be forgotten or Rick Beckett on WGRD. Even Howard Stern couldn't bring Beckett down. He owned the west Michigan market.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:52 am

Actually, Stern did overtake Beckett in the ratings. Took a long time (3 or 4 years), but it did happen. Why do you think GRD fired Beckett and Winters? There is controversy as to whether Beckett was drunk or had a hypoglycemic episode on the air (he was diabetic) - I never heard the show in question - but if Beckett were still ratings gold, GRD almost undoubtedly would've stuck by him.

By the time Beckett and Winters were dismissed, their ratings had been sagging for pretty much the prior 18 to 24 months. Granted, I don't believe they were single handedly to blame. Playlist wise, WGRD had made terrible decisions. The so-called "alternative" station had basically morphed into a Modern AC. Listeners were flocking to KLQ to hear hot new artists like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Staind, Godsmack, and the latest album from Tool.

I wasn't crazy about WGRD's music choices when Allan Fee was PD, but he pretty much kept the station humming on all cylinders. After he left, he was succeeded by incompetent bozos. It wasn't until Jerry Tarrants arrived that the station was able to reestablish itself as a serious contender.

Among male listeners in morning drive, WKLQ, WLAV, B93 and WBFX were on par with Beckett & Winters or ahead (with KLQ frequently but not always notching first place honors). Among female listeners, B93 and WSNX were in the lead.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:51 am

Many people have their doubts that we will be doing large events as soon as June 2021. Other things may be back to normal but I think large group outings are a few years from happening.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 am

WBFX 50,000 watts and a 1.1 share. Total embarrassment. Time to bring a Classic Country format to town. Check out Lansings ratings for WWDK Duke FM 5.2 share. Just an observation. Am I wrong?

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:51 am

You may not be aware, but there was Classic Country on 101.3, 20 years ago.

A live morning show, canned jock work otherwise, and Dave Ramsey in the evenings on WCUZ. Had been that way, in some fashion for several years.

They dropped it in the Fall of 2000 for "The Fox."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm

They were 60s to 80s focused, though. 94.1 in Lansing predominantly plays late 80s to early 00s. Big difference.

I cannot see iHM taking 101.3 in such a direction today, because it would siphon listeners from B93. It is a format 107.3 should seriously consider, though.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:01 pm

In writing this response, I was a little surprised to learn there are now two accepted Classic Country Formats. There is Pre mid 80's, and there is mid 80's to about 2000. In my humble opinion, there will never again be a successful 80's and earlier Classic Country station in any kind of a large, medium and small market again. It's simply a matter of demographics and sales.

I love Country music, but VERY little of what was recorded before the advent of The Judds in 1984, Randy Travis a couple of years later, along with George Strait, Hank Junior, Alabama and other new generational newcomers. After Garth Brooks hit it was an entirely different ballgame. But now Brooks is 58 and he is out of the target demo too. (he hasn't had a top ten hit in 13 years, and he has never been a number one hit machine in this century For the coveted 24 year old female listener, he is one of those "old guys", not unlike yours truly.

The Duke (actually in Jackson) is in the later category. But by my estimations, it's listeners would be 50-ish and about to age out of the demo. I think I would enjoy The Duke, but I am nearly 66 years old, and advertisers don't give a damn about me or my musical preferences.

Ratings wise, the Duke 12 plus seems to do well enough, but WITL is piped in middays, evenings and nights and I would bet Chris records afternoons too as request lines ring away. They could be a much better competitor, but choose not to be.

I have Sirius XM in my car, and listen occasionally to Prime Country. 80's and 90's. (channel 58) But when Barbara Mandrell, Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty, Willie Nelson and the classic artists of the early 80's come on it's an automatic button punch.

If I Heart GR really wanted to save money, it would sublet two of it's three floors at 77 Monroe Center.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:00 pm

Ever listen to 97.1 KTHT in Houston, TX online?

Or 105.9 from Cincinnati?

Would love to know your thoughts on those two stations!

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:43 pm

I'm talking about artists like Mo Bandy, Box Car Willie, Jane Fricke, Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, Ray price and just maybe mix in a little David Allen Coe. It's time to turn Grand Rapids metro into a real Honkey Tonk Boy's

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Jethro FM 94.9/99.5 might play some of those artists.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Thanks I just started streaming Jethro. So far stream sounds good. Sometimes these stations sound like garbage online, makes for a hard listen, but not the case here.

Reese K Rickards

Post by Reese K Rickards » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Mo Bandy, Box Car Willie, Jane (Janie) Fricke, Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, Ray Price, imho are all ancient history. DAC had one song.

Just the name alone suggests suggests Jethro FM isn't to be taken seriously. Formatically it's a shotgun blast. Ratings? zero point zero.

A well run pirate might make more money.

KTHT Houston skews a tad old even for me. But it pulls 2's and 3's. Must make money, and it's locally owned.

105.9. The morning guys bio reads in part....Larry has met and interviewed many Classic Country artists, including Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, George Jones, Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Kenny Price, and many, many more. He’s also appeared on a number of TV shows, including “Hee Haw” in the 1970s. But it pulls 5 and 6's must be making money. Locally owned too!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:31 am

When I've been in the Cincinnati area (mostly for visiting Kings Island), I usually listen to 105.9

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am

Maybe 107.3 WTRN could mix in, some of those stunning country gold artists, I mentioned before. Oh and the legendary Tradio/Swap shop from 1215pm to 200pm after LOCAL news. We could hear things like... I'm Toby from Fenwick and I wanna sell 1 sheet of Drywall or Does anyone know where I can find a 1858 Hamilton Smith hand crank washing machine? Then we take local calls and talk about the weather and who lost a chicken the other night. Funny thing I bet it would produce a better rating than 1.7

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic