Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Governor Whitmer strengthens Executive Order on masks

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Governor Whitmer strengthens Executive Order on masks

Post by Rate This » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:56 pm
Don't think an increase of 18% over the normal death rate is a pandemic.

It's hype.
I think 140,000 deaths in 4 months is a pandemic.... it's well beyond "normal"...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pm
audiophile wrote:

It's hype.
I think 140,000 deaths in 4 months is a pandemic.... it's well beyond "normal"...
The way I read it was if 100 a month passes away in County X in a four month period, then 118 would passed away in this period.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:59 pm

COVIDView weekly update for week ending 7/11

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... index.html
Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 8.1% during week 27 to 6.4% during week 28, representing the twelfth consecutive week during which a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC has been recorded. The percentage is currently above the epidemic threshold and will likely change as additional death certificates for deaths during recent weeks are processed.
The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) collects death certificate data from vital statistics offices for all deaths occurring in the United States. Based on death certificate data available on July 16, 2020, 6.4% of all deaths occurring during the week ending July 11, 2020 (week 28) were due to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC). This is the twelfth consecutive week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC. The percentage is above the epidemic threshold of 5.7% for week 28. Data for recent weeks are incomplete, and the PIC percentage may increase as more death certificates representing deaths during these weeks are processed.

Weekly mortality surveillance data include a combination of machine coded and manually coded causes of death collected from death certificates. Percentages of deaths due to PIC are higher among manually coded records than more rapidly available machine coded records. Due to the additional time needed for manual coding, the initially reported PIC percentages may be lower than percentages calculated from final data.
If the mortality rate continues to fall for PIC as it has for the previous 12 weeks, the Covid outbreak may fall below epidemic levels soon. This is a big if however based on the previous lag time between cases and deaths. It does appear however that either medicine has caught up with how to treat or that the more recent cases have not resulted in the same rate of severe disease as earlier in the outbreak.

As always, time will tell.

hanson

Post by hanson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:45 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:15 pm
Whether the legislature would go along with her isn't the point. Emergency powers don't last forever. Just because we're still in the middle of a pandemic doesn't necessarily mean that time is of the essence in everything she's doing. Masks - for example - the government has had PLENTY of time to properly debate this issue and pass appropriate sunset legislation.
Well, then the legislature needs to come up with a bill. I haven't seen one yet. They are too busy working on frivolous lawsuits.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:31 am

Why should they come up with a bill? They offered to form a committee and governor just unscrupulously published their offer and illegally re-issued her own EO.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:14 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pm
audiophile wrote:

It's hype.
The way I read it was if 100 a month passes away in County X in a four month period, then 118 would passed away in this period.
I'm not even sure it would be quite that high. Of those 140,000 deaths, how many of those people would have died anyways during that 4-month period absent Covid? Has anybody figured out that particular statistic?

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:14 am
I'm not even sure it would be quite that high. Of those 140,000 deaths, how many of those people would have died anyways during that 4-month period absent Covid? Has anybody figured out that particular statistic?
The CDC has, based on the percentages of deaths attributable to a particular cause. Their data isn't political.

The mortality rate for Covid (and pneumonia + flu too) has been disproportionately high, but has been falling for 12 weeks in a row. If/when it falls below epidemic levels, it starts falling into the realm of deaths that are expected.

What's interesting to me is that the percentage threshold changes based on what week of the year it is. So today's 6.4% is an epidemic... but in peak flu season, that rate would probably not be at epidemic levels. I don't have a breakdown of what the week-by-week thresholds are for PIC epidemic levels.

I wonder if the media will ever bother to explain the real facts - especially if the mortality rate actually does fall below epidemic levels.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:40 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:31 am
Why should they come up with a bill? They offered to form a committee and governor just unscrupulously published their offer and illegally re-issued her own EO.
If you are one of those people whining about your loss of liberty because you have to wear a mask, but you're saying nothing about federal agents in unmarked uniforms snatching up citizens exercising their First Amendment rights to protest, then you don't have a clue what "liberty" really means. To you, it's just a synonym for "I don't want to do what I don't want to do."

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:40 pm
audiophile wrote:
If you are one of those people whining about your loss of liberty because you have to wear a mask, but you're saying nothing about federal agents in unmarked uniforms snatching up citizens exercising their First Amendment rights to protest, then you don't have a clue what "liberty" really means. To you, it's just a synonym for "I don't want to do what I don't want to do."
I would have to agree with you. BMW and Audiophile's concerns are crocodile tears. They don't care about liberty, they care about the political game, which their candidate is losing no matter how many tricks he tries.

I now have 82 and 65 y.o. relatives in the hospital with COVID (contracted at Church). I really don't care how they try justifying their political beliefs, it's killing people.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:03 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
audiophile wrote:
I would have to agree with you. BMW and Audiophile's concerns are crocodile tears. They don't care about liberty, they care about the political game, which their candidate is losing no matter how many tricks he tries.

I now have 82 and 65 y.o. relatives in the hospital with COVID (contracted at Church). I really don't care how they try justifying their political beliefs, it's killing people.
Yes, they ought to move to Florida, Arizona or Texas, states doing exactly as the dumbasses wish Michigan would do.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
audiophile wrote:
You are not paying attention. I have NEVER complained about wearing a mask, in fact I wear a P100 mask, but that's where her EO's should end.

She doesn't have the authority to close businesses for months at a time, without compensation.

Police have the right to question and detain you if there is probable cause or reasonable suspicion, and especially if they are investigating a crime. I have no idea if an investigation is taking place, and neither do you. Better brush up on the law: https://www.minicklaw.com/long-can-police-detain/

What's worse siting in the back of squad car for an hour, one time, or your business being closed since March 13?

PS Based on your flawed logic, didn't they break the stay at home order/social distancing/mask laws you are indicate you are so concerned about in this thread?
Last edited by audiophile on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:15 pm

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:50 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:09 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
audiophile wrote:
You are not paying attention. I have NEVER complained about wearing a mask, in fact I wear a P100 mask, but that's where her EO's should end.

She doesn't have the authority to close businesses for months at a time, without compensation.

Police have the right to question and detain you if there is probable cause or reasonable suspicion, and especially if they are investigating a crime. I have no idea if an investigation is taking place, and neither do you. Better brush up on the law: https://www.minicklaw.com/long-can-police-detain/

What's worse siting in the back of squad car for an hour, one time, or your business being closed since March 13?

PS Based on your flawed logic, didn't they break the stay at home order/social distancing/mask laws you are indicate you are so concerned about in this thread?
Free, democratic nations do not use secret police to snatch their citizens off the street and detain them without warrants or probable cause.

Fuck off and die, you bible-humping psychopath.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Went out to dinner at restaurant/bar in downtown Plymouth last night. The dining area had tables spaced a bit more than six feet apart. But, the bar area was packed with people mingling about, shoulder to shoulder and not one person was wearing a mask. If one person there was infected, it could have easily passed on to a dozen or more.

Kind of a shame.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Yo Vic!

Probable cause? These people were self described anarchists. They are proud of the label. They want to form a new government. Their words, not mine. That's a federal crime punishable by 20 years in prison.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic