Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Willie108

Re: 97.1

Post by Willie108 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:41 am

Is Dan Leach still there??? Him and Rieger aren't good enough to do overnight weekends in Newberry.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 am

Funny you mention that. I haven't been doing much weekend listening lately, but no, I haven't heard Leach in quite a while. Riger is now paired with Wojo in early evenings.

Speaking of, how much does it suck to get preempted by a Tigers game from 2009?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:59 am

Yesterday afternoon, the station was airing an Ernie Harwell-era broadcast from the 80's with horrendously poor audio quality.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:59 am
Yesterday afternoon, the station was airing an Ernie Harwell-era broadcast from the 80's with horrendously poor audio quality.

Swear I thought it was a game from the early 60s! Where in the hell did they pull that audio from!?

-TurkeyTop

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:16 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 am
Funny you mention that. I haven't been doing much weekend listening lately, but no, I haven't heard Leach in quite a while. Riger is now paired with Wojo in early evenings.

Speaking of, how much does it suck to get preempted by a Tigers game from 2009?
Yeah, Leach and Brian Chapman just sorta disappeared. Not complaining mind you.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:21 am

Leach is on YouTube doing some kind of video podcast called the Taskforce. Fithian and Chapman are also doing a YouTube video podcast themselves called the 5th chapter.

Surprised 97.1 has had no local programming since Thursday. This never happened before during a holiday weekend. Maybe just the day of the holiday but you could usually count on Caputo being there Sunday morning. This station is really slashing costs.

riggs

Post by riggs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:25 pm

What I expect is Entercom to fire 75% of it's air talent in Detroit across the board, including WWJ, which will start broadcasting national news in all dayparts except mornings and afternoons, with part timers cutting in for Traffic and Weather. Expect 97.1 to air national syndication 10am - 2pm and then 6pm to 6am everyday. They are also not going to renew the Wings or Tigers. That company is a joke............and this was likely going to happen without any influence from the Pandemic.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

riggs

Post by riggs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

Swear I thought it was a game from the early 60s! Where in the hell did they pull that audio from!?
I have cassettes from that era that probably sounded better than that.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:27 pm

This thread got me curious, so I tuned in to 97.1 while out for lunch. The network host announced that at 1:20 they would discuss the top five late night hosts. Then he started an interview with an NFL reporter by talking about a "controversial" photo of the reporter with seltzer and a beer or something like that.

I quickly shut off the radio before I started feeling the effects of a lobotomy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:32 pm

riggs wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:41 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I have cassettes from that era that probably sounded better than that.
Probably? I KNOW I do. Playing one as we speak!

It sounded like it was recorded from a transistor radio on a lousy Memorex tape then EQ'd with no low frequencies and everything above 1k goosed!

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:33 pm

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:20 pm

What I expect is Entercom to fire 75% of it's air talent in Detroit across the board, including WWJ, which will start broadcasting national news in all dayparts except mornings and afternoons, with part timers cutting in for Traffic and Weather. Expect 97.1 to air national syndication 10am - 2pm and then 6pm to 6am everyday. They are also not going to renew the Wings or Tigers. That company is a joke............and this was likely going to happen without any influence from the Pandemic.
I agree with the last sentence; David Field fired a number of great CBS radio acct execs, senior VPs, & programming people and replaced those individuals with less qualified people or simply eliminated those positions. He damn near ruined WFAN in New York, he killed the wrong country station in Seattle, he killed the legacy KVIL call letters/brand in Dallas (granted, CBS Radio was already in processing of committing that stupid deed, but Field made a bad situation worse), and so many of the Alternative stations he loves so much have lousy ratings.

US 99.5 in Chicago and 102.9 The Wolf - formerly Buz'n - in Minneapolis have also become total dumpster fires since the merger.

B101 in Philly is also in the worst shape it's seen in decades. I completely realize many AC stations have been negatively affected by COVID, but B101 when Jerry Lee was running the show was never just an "at-work" station. The station had great to phenomenal ratings in multiple age categories and dayparts. B101 was already springing a couple leaks before COVID. The Hot AC-lean & "More 101" image should've been left completely alone at 101.1; 96.5 should've been used as a sacrificial lamb to screw over 106.1 The Breeze.

I more or less agree with your 97.1 predictions. I don't know if syndie content will run middays, but I have hard time picturing the station continuing to pay two full-time salaries for that daypart. I also have a hard time picturing the station continuing to waste two on-air talents in the early nights timeslot. My guess is Wojo will either be reassigned or handed his walking papers.

Entercom has already fired some of the sports update desk folks for 97.1 & WWJ. If I were Tony Ortiz, I'd be worried right now.

In terms of the music stations - I definitely think we're going to see more voicetracking. My guess is every weekend airshift and after dark shift will be voicetracked, with only rare exceptions. The Company will probably keep drive times on the more profitable stations local, but I suspect they'll be looking to dump veteran talent. If I were Beau Daniels or Steve Kostan, I'd be worried.

Does WYCD still double-up in PM drive? If so, one of those folks will likely be toast, too. If Kim Adams at 98.7 does her shift live, she'll be gone. (If she voicetracks already, she'll probably stay.)

With regard to changes at WWJ, my guess is a couple reporters, behind the scenes people, and maybe one anchor will be let go. Can the AccuWeather contract be dumped? That could be another source of cost savings. Farm out the weather segments to one of the local TV stations as part of a cashless or nearly cashless deal. (The "pay" would be in the form of advertising for the TV station in question; the stations have more ad space than can be sold right now anyway.)

I think a LOT of sales people who have been furloughed will be permanently fired.

I think a number of off-air programmers will also be fired. Wouldn't surprise me if format captains program virtual all stations nationwide under a particular format, with maybe a cluster-based APD/MD (assigned to 4 or 5 different stations and probably doing an airshift, too) to assist.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:44 pm

While I wouldn't rely on the 97.1 The Ticket's website for answers to any of your questions it does appear that what they are showing as their "Daily Schedule" might be somewhat accurate. They are showing these old baseball games on their schedule if this means anything.

Daily Schedule
SUNDAY, JULY 5TH

https://971theticket.radio.com/shows/show-schedule

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:28 pm

The schedule also said Pat Caputo would be on today and he wasn't.

riggs

Post by riggs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:01 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:33 pm
Oh how the mighty have fallen...
I disagree with you there. I think that station has handled this whole pandemic situation very very well. Can't be easy with no current sports going on. It's not the station, it's the station owner. Never underestimate Entercom's ability to fuck up something good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic