Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Anti-Abortion Petition on last legs.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan Anti-Abortion Petition on last legs.

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:04 pm

The Anti-Abortion crowd in Michigan tried and failed to get enough signatures for an end run around the abortion protections Michigan women enjoy.

Now they are trying again, and not even Planned Parenthood is worried, because they have no chance.
The group initially submitted about 380,000 signatures to the Michigan Bureau of Elections in an effort to define the procedure as a “dismemberment” abortion and make it a felony for a physician to perform one unless it was to save the life of the mother.

The bureau found the initiative came up 7,276 signatures short of the 340,047 signatures it was required to have, according to the bureau’s June 11 report. The review was based on a 500-signature sample.

Ballot drive to ban abortion procedure in Michigan short signatures, Bureau of Elections concludes

In its initial review, the Bureau of Elections staff recommended certification if more than 465 signatures were deemed valid, pulling a larger sample if at least 449 signatures are valid and denial if the total was lower than that. Michigan Values Life had 446 valid signatures in the sample, according to the report.

But instead of rejecting the proposal, the Board of State Canvassers directed the Bureau of Elections to examine a new, larger sample of 1,600 signatures.

“We are happy the Board of Canvassers saw reason today, and will allow another sample to be drawn,” Right to Life of Michigan President Barbara Listing said.

Lawyers for Michigan Values Life and lawyers for the Coalition to Protect Access to Care met with the Board of State Canvassers before the board made its decision, according to Tracy Wimmer, Director of Media Relations for the Secretary of State.

The bureau must make a recommendation on the new sample of signatures before July 24, which is when the board of canvassers must decide whether the petition gathered enough signatures.

If so, the legislature would have 40 days to take action, and could potentially approve the petition. If no action is taken, then the petition moves to the ballot in November.

Earlier this month, the group Coalition to Protect Access to Care challenged the petition and claimed there were at least 65 defective signatures in the 500-signature sample, including at least 21 duplicates.

Angela Vasquez-Giroux, a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, said the Board of State Canvassers decision “to ignore the recommendation of its professional staff that the Right to Life petition shouldn’t be certified violated its long-standing rules and procedures.”
MLive

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Re: Michigan Anti-Abortion Petition on last legs.

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Does shame even exist in your world?

TC Talks
(through his ass)

After getting caught fabricating and making shit up in whole cloth, you just keep posting like nothing happened?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:57 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:50 pm

TC Talks
(through his ass)

After getting caught fabricating and making shit up in whole cloth, you just keep posting like nothing happened?
You're suggesting the first attempt at the petition drive didn't fail miserably? They couldn't get the signatures certified. Planned Parenthood was quoted by Michigan Radio that's suggesting the group doesn't stand a chance this time around either.

Either you are out of touch or you've separated from reality

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:04 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:10 pm
Cry all you want, but Michigan is pretty healthy compared to the states that are ignoring the COVID.

This is where we thank Governor Whitmer for protecting us.

This isn’t a COVID chart... it’s a salmonella map from February 15th 2019.

Here’s the latest version of that same map issued June 24th:

Nice fucking try. You attempted to pass off a salmonella chart as a COVID chart...

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:57 pm
Bryce wrote:

TC Talks
(through his ass)

You're suggesting the first attempt at the petition drive didn't fail miserably? They couldn't get the signatures certified. Planned Parenthood was quoted by Michigan Radio that's suggesting the group doesn't stand a chance this time around either.

Why don't you start by addressing your fabrication?

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:57 pm
Bryce wrote:

TC Talks
(through his ass)

Why don't you start by addressing your fabrication?
Address the failed dox attempt too...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:18 pm

We should be hearing about the failed attempt by the women's suppression society on their petition drive soon. They have actually failed already but managed to get a recount of the signatures. Think it has a chance? I don't.
The Committee to Protect Access to Care, formed by Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, urged the board to reject certification of the petition, arguing there were "careless errors" and that it was a "very poor petition drive."

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am

I don't understand why you get so hell bent on those that want end the most gruesome forms of abortion (late-term dilation and extraction) other then you admitted that daughter works at PP.

Why not just let go even if daughter works there?

Even Bill Clinton didn't oppose that. It's not much different the killing the baby once its born.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:24 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:18 pm
We should be hearing about the failed attempt by the women's suppression society on their petition drive soon. They have actually failed already but managed to get a recount of the signatures. Think it has a chance? I don't.
The Committee to Protect Access to Care, formed by Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, urged the board to reject certification of the petition, arguing there were "careless errors" and that it was a "very poor petition drive."
Its interesting and telling that PP would use the term "careless errors" because that is what they call unwanted babies. That organization is despicable, repugnant, and has a racist history.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:30 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am
I don't understand why you get so hell bent on those that want end the most gruesome forms of abortion (late-term dilation and extraction) other then you admitted that daughter works at PP.

Why not just let go even if daughter works there?

Even Bill Clinton didn't oppose that. It's not much different the killing the baby once its born.
This is a decision on surgery. I totally respect your choice to not have an abortion. But I don't need you or anyone deciding for me or anyone else on medical procedures.

Guns kill many many people, yet you support their manufacture and ownership. What's your problem? Khrist in your Bible is fine with weapons that kill?

My point is that you and your kind don't get to choose for women.

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:48 am

June 18, 2020 Press Release
Lansing, MI — Today the Michigan Board of State Canvassers voted unanimously to allow another sample to be drawn for the Michigan Values Life petition drive.
The new sample will be a larger sample based on standard Bureau of Elections procedures. One point of concern for two of the Board members involved thousands of additional signatures thrown out for “damage” by the Bureau of Elections, despite text on many of those petitions being totally legible.
The following statement can be attributed to Right to Life of Michigan President Barbara Listing:
“We are happy the Board of Canvassers saw reason today, and will allow another sample to be drawn. We look forward to continuing the process of this petition drive and to eventually stop the barbaric practice of dismembering children in the womb.
We know Planned Parenthood will do everything possible to challenge the petition drive again and disenfranchise the people who signed it, and we will once again defend the voice of the people who signed these petitions.”
https://rtl.org/end-dismemberment-petit ... ve-sample/

It was old news from June 11th when you posted it on June 25th. Sounds like the only thing is on it's last legs is your credibility.

At least I gave a link - so if the story changes it clearly dated June 18th! I couldn't find any further updates.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm

Sorry to remind you that this issue hasn't gone away.

I'm still waiting for the outcome, it isn't old news until this petition is put to rest once and for all.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm
Sorry to remind you that this issue hasn't gone away.

I'm still waiting for the outcome, it isn't old news until this petition is put to rest once and for all.
Like the abolition of slavery, actions like this will continue until all lives are protected (yes, even the black ones that are killed at the rate of 1,000 per day in the US). Then after it's all over, people like you will be all "I knew killing kids was wrong all along! Slavery was wrong too, even though I would have fought to keep it legal like slavery."
This message brought to you by citizens for giving advice for your crotch.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:49 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:24 am
Free-thinking people: We want the choice whether to wear masks, wear seat belts, go where we want, do what we want, and live our own lives.

Dumb dems: "Nope!"

Murderer: "I want to kill my offspring."

Dumb dems: "Sure! It's your choice!"
Rational sane people:
“If it screws up the rest of our lives let’s hit the brakes on the I do whatever I want bullshit a bit.”

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:06 am
What?

Who could possibly be against burning an infant alive with acid, decapitating them, dismembering them, puncturing their neck and sucking their brains out?

I mean, isn't murder the most compassionate response to society's ills?

Rape? Kill a kid.

Incest? Kill a kid.

Unwanted kid? Kill a kid.

Kid the "wrong gender"? Kill a kid.

Can't afford a kid? Kill a kid.

It's all really simple here.
Science says otherwise. Science tells us that a fetus is not a person. Rather, it is a mass of developing cells, that magically become human at some arbitrary point in development - you know, like 24 weeks-ish. It just depends on how inconvenient it is. If it really is inconvenient, it can remain a clump of cells right up to leaving the birth canal, where again it magically becomes human upon leaving the canal. But at that point, there is still some wiggle room - the cells can be left on the operating room table for an hour or two in order to stop development.

I'm so glad I'm a Democrat - the party of science. You woman-hating Republicans drive me nuts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic