Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bottle Returns Resuming

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

Bottle Returns Resuming

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 am

Monday the 15th...however my store is not opening up returns yet as our reverse vending machines are near the back of the store. I saw a memo stating that the machines must be in the front of the store or an attached part of the building. Time to abolish the deposit laws. Nowadays people are more conscious than ever before about recycling and plastic use. If getting rid of the deposits isn't possible then the next best thing is to set up redemption centers countywide and keep these out of stores where we buy our food. Having been in retail for 21 years I can attest that these are a filthy proposition to all concerned. I have seen things in stores that will make your toes curl and you do not want this crap where you buy your groceries. Not only are the employees put at risk for having to handle them but they also attract vermin, bugs, and possible contamination of the foods you buy. Shopping carts are just riddled with germs and bacteria from people dumping their cans into them.

Deleted User 15342

Re: Bottle Returns Resuming

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:49 am

I haven’t returned a bottle refund for over 5 years. We just toss them in the trash even before this covid stuff, for years most stores never maintained the bottle areas and it’s always been a cesspool of germs.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:04 pm

I think we should add plastic water bottles to the law.

Just look at any roadside and you will discover that the only bottles out there are the ones without a deposit.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:24 pm

I don’t think we need the bottle law after this covid crap. This could cause the virus to spread even more after 3 months of germs brought into the retailers, I know people are supposed to clean the bottles before they’re brought back into the store but most people are ignorant just look at how many masks and gloves that are in the parking lots. I will continue to toss all my returns in the trash. As far as the roads being clean who cares the roads are crap in Michigan, Whitmer will never get them maintained as she promised.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:41 pm

"If getting rid of the deposits isn't possible then the next best thing is to set up redemption centers countywide and keep these out of stores where we buy our food. "

California does it this way. Was a pain the ass when I lived there.

There was only a couple of locations,were open for 6-7 hours a day, most closed on sundays, and usually an hour wait in line the redeem.

Of course their system was not a deposit, it was Cash redemption value (CRV) that you paid. You pay 5 cents for bottles and cans under 24 ounce, 10 cents for over 24 ounce, and included water and small juice bottles, and 1 gal water jugs.

The rip off is than you can only get the amount paid if you return 50 or less total at a time, over 50 it was by weight. So you would pay 5 cents for each 1/2 liter water bottle, and get 1 cent back by weight. On cans you almost break even, depending the price per pound (lose money if under 1.60 lb). You made money on the 2 liter and Powerade/Gatorade bottles. I would return once a every 2 months, and spray the garage to keep the wild outdoor roaches at bay.

I don't miss is shit at all. I just throw them in the recycling bin.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:04 pm
Do what my friend has been doing for going on 4 years now.
She prints out barcodes stickers for Coke bottles, covers up the water bottle sticker with 'em, and feed them into the machine. She claims no one has ever batted an eye at the return machines.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:03 pm

tigerwings wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:41 pm
"If getting rid of the deposits isn't possible then the next best thing is to set up redemption centers countywide and keep these out of stores where we buy our food. "

California does it this way. Was a pain the ass when I lived there.

There was only a couple of locations,were open for 6-7 hours a day, most closed on sundays, and usually an hour wait in line the redeem.

Of course their system was not a deposit, it was Cash redemption value (CRV) that you paid. You pay 5 cents for bottles and cans under 24 ounce, 10 cents for over 24 ounce, and included water and small juice bottles, and 1 gal water jugs.

The rip off is than you can only get the amount paid if you return 50 or less total at a time, over 50 it was by weight. So you would pay 5 cents for each 1/2 liter water bottle, and get 1 cent back by weight. On cans you almost break even, depending the price per pound (lose money if under 1.60 lb). You made money on the 2 liter and Powerade/Gatorade bottles. I would return once a every 2 months, and spray the garage to keep the wild outdoor roaches at bay.

I don't miss is shit at all. I just throw them in the recycling bin.
This is enough to drive you to stop drinking. :blink

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 pm
TC Talks wrote:
She prints out barcodes stickers for Coke bottles, covers up the water bottle sticker with 'em, and feed them into the machine. She claims no one has ever batted an eye at the return machines.
So technically she ripping off the state. She didn’t pay the deposit but is getting it back, Don’t let Gretchen know.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:03 pm

But the state doesn't pay for the bottles when you return them, the store just holds the money. What happens to that money if folks don't return as many bottles as they buy?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:03 pm
But the state doesn't pay for the bottles when you return them, the store just holds the money. What happens to that money if folks don't return as many bottles as they buy?
Profit happens.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:13 am

The state handles all the monies and gives 25% of the unreturned monies to retailers.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 147586002/

I'm surprised you didn't know that RT.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:24 am

Since this is plastic is getting recycled, and many of the water bottles come from Coke anyway, I think this is great.
Mike Oxlong wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:13 am
The state handles all the monies and gives 25% of the unreturned monies to retailers.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 147586002/

I'm surprised you didn't know that RT.
I didn’t know the percentage however..

What exactly do you think that 25% is? A loss for the retailer?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:34 am

25% of all deposit sales manages the collection costs.

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:35 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:24 am
Since this is plastic is getting recycled, and many of the water bottles come from Coke anyway, I think this is great.
Mike Oxlong wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
I think it's wrong.

I support giving 1 cent for any plastic bottle that doesn't scan out of unclaimed returnable fund.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic